Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys, no activity here for a while.
I was trying to replace a gen1 charger and HVJB with GEN2 in a 2013 Model S.
The car, as expected, does not recognize the new charger, as expected it needs redeploy to match the firmware on gw and charger.
The problem is that the GEN2 charger looks like it is in a continuous reboot cycle, so the car does not detect it to update the firmware:

The power usage from the 12V DC goes up to 47 mA. it stays there exactly 10 seconds and then goes down to 11 mA, then says there 1-2 seconds then goes up to 47 mA again, and this cycle repeats forever:

When the charger is disconnected from the car, and connected to a can logging device, it powers up, then for 10 seconds outputs can data at 500kbps, then shuts down forever, until disconnect the power and reconnect:

Anybody played with this beast ? Any idea how to keep it awake until the car detects it and redeploys ?

This looks like standard activity of the gen2 charger when not connected to the car (I have one on the bench). Just give it 12V and GND and will wake up for 10 sec and shut down. As soon as it sees some CAN traffic (if you connect something to CAN) wakes up again.

This looks like standard activity of the gen2 charger when not connected to the car (I have one on the bench). Just give it 12V and GND and will wake up for 10 sec and shut down. As soon as it sees some CAN traffic (if you connect something to CAN) wakes up again.
It seams that it does absolutely the same when connected to my car. I believe it expects specific can packets to stay awake. Somebody told me that it is immobilizer related and there is a procedure to make the charger learn a new immobilizer code.

It seams that it does absolutely the same when connected to my car. I believe it expects specific can packets to stay awake. Somebody told me that it is immobilizer related and there is a procedure to make the charger learn a new immobilizer code.
I'm not sure this would be related to immobilizer code. It's known that second/new/replaced charger needs to be flashed with firmware via Toolbox to match the car firmware. Maybe if the firmware doesn't match it's being rejected and stays in such loop until FW is as expected.

I'm not sure this would be related to immobilizer code. It's known that second/new/replaced charger needs to be flashed with firmware via Toolbox to match the car firmware. Maybe if the firmware doesn't match it's being rejected and stays in such loop until FW is as expected.
If the charger is in a loop, it won't take the firmware update. It definitely has nothing to do with the immobilizer in my opinion as well, but I have no idea what the problem could really be.

Reactions: GeorgeCM
Ppl who have root access to Tesla plz help. @wk057 ;) I have tried to change translation in Tesla UI , but i have faced with some moments, that i can't understand, as follows:
Tesla have translate.tar.gz. in usr/tesla/UI/assets/gen/ .
I have put CID in recovery mode, than copied mmcblk0p1 to local and unsquash it.
Have some changed in QtCar_en in translate.tar.gz. squash it and copied to mmcblk0p1.
But after all these changes that i made, nothing has been changed in UI.

Ppl who have root access to Tesla plz help. @wk057 ;) I have tried to change translation in Tesla UI , but i have faced with some moments, that i can't understand, as follows:
Tesla have translate.tar.gz. in usr/tesla/UI/assets/gen/ .
I have put CID in recovery mode, than copied mmcblk0p1 to local and unsquash it.
Have some changed in QtCar_en in translate.tar.gz. squash it and copied to mmcblk0p1.
But after all these changes that i made, nothing has been changed in UI.

2018-10-30_cd4v8563 It's translations.tar.gz

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Why the secrecy? The last few posts sound like an episode of Penn and Teller fool us.

Seriously, why? I find it so frustrating that information regarding Model S onwards is kept so private. Tesla is working so hard to keep their 'secrets', they really don't need us to help them. People working on opening up the roadster were so much more open to sharing (and still are, perhaps even more so now than before).

Exploits, I understand (not wanting the mothership to know); but let's face it, with the bug bounty program they know anyway. Security and safety issues, fine; we don't want to make it easy for the bad guys. But CAN bus messages, decodes, instructionals, howtos, firmware access, etc?

These are our vehicles. We purchased them, we own them, and we should have the right to do with them whatever we want. The sharing of information is key to that movement, and quite frankly, FUN. I think that even Elon would agree with that.