Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard that one of the rooting method is banned since 2019.4
However i am still on 2018.50, can anyone kindly share the rooting method? We have no browser, calendar, summon... and much more features missed in our country wonder if I can root and get these features back.

I just had my car's annual service and now that's over with, I want to disable syslog to the emmc on my car so it doesn't get bricked. Can anyone send some instructions my way? I haven't used the wonky ethernet cable before, if that's required, though I have used the diagnostic connector in the same location. I plan on just disabling the logging as having it go to /tmp seems just as bad to me (if you've never filled up /tmp in unix, it's generally a bad thing). I did a little searching but unsurprisingly people aren't openly sharing their rooting techniques :)

I just had my car's annual service and now that's over with, I want to disable syslog to the emmc on my car so it doesn't get bricked. Can anyone send some instructions my way? I haven't used the wonky ethernet cable before, if that's required, though I have used the diagnostic connector in the same location. I plan on just disabling the logging as having it go to /tmp seems just as bad to me (if you've never filled up /tmp in unix, it's generally a bad thing). I did a little searching but unsurprisingly people aren't openly sharing their rooting techniques :)
Pm me

I have a MCU of a 2015 S85 on the bench. It powers on and the screen functions fine. But when I power it off (from settings screen) I can only get the screen back on by doing a power cycle.
It should be possible to emulate the brake pedal to get the screen back on right?

I found "GPIO3 - Brake On Sw" is pin 13 on the X429 (LightGray) connector and it is powered from the iBoost ECU +12V_UB_ECU via X107/BrakeSW.
I have tried to put 12V (for a second or so) on pin 13 but nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?

I've heard that one of the rooting method is banned since 2019.4
However i am still on 2018.50, can anyone kindly share the rooting method? We have no browser, calendar, summon... and much more features missed in our country wonder if I can root and get these features back.
Root will not help you. Well, it will but not really exactly how you want it. There is a ton of features Geo Locked on the car that you will never be able to turn on without breaking any navigation or autopilot features. (I know this cause i have spent 2 weeks now trying to do exactly that for summon). The rest of the stuff you can get by making config changes through people in this forum. Cough.. cough.. pm someone and you get help.

Long story short, you do not need root, but you will never get all the features you want. I want spotify in USA in all my 4 teslas but i will never get it even though i have rooted all my cars and i can practically do whatever i want to them.

I'm still on 2018.28.5...pretty old and happy to be on that version given I dislike almost everything about v9 and even more so now that 2019.16.x is locking out capacity at the top on older model S's.

Is there anyway to prevent the forced software update that Tesla customer service told me I was going to get soon and that there's nothing I can do to stop it?

Is there a root method that works with my version of software? If so, what do I need. Is this like rooting an android which I've done dozens of times? Or is there some other way other than root to prevent having v9 forced upon me without my consent?

I'm still on 2018.28.5...pretty old and happy to be on that version given I dislike almost everything about v9 and even more so now that 2019.16.x is locking out capacity at the top on older model S's.

Is there anyway to prevent the forced software update that Tesla customer service told me I was going to get soon and that there's nothing I can do to stop it?

Is there a root method that works with my version of software? If so, what do I need. Is this like rooting an android which I've done dozens of times? Or is there some other way other than root to prevent having v9 forced upon me without my consent?

Root it and block the mothership.

@rooter posted a nice little guide on how to do this on HowTo Tesla - Rooting the Firmware - DIY Electric Car Forums

He thinks I am a secret agent mod, so besides that hairbrained accusation, the guide is easy to follow and one sound method of rooting.

Reactions: sorka
@rooter posted a nice little guide on how to do this on HowTo Tesla - Rooting the Firmware - DIY Electric Car Forums

He thinks I am a secret agent mod, so besides that hairbrained accusation, the guide is easy to follow and one sound method of rooting.

Just to clarify, this first requires unsoldering the eMMC, copying it, mounting it in a reader connected to a linux box, and modifying the file system on the chip, right?

Looks quite involved. I might even decide to to go for it but it would be a project with risk.

Just to clarify, this first requires unsoldering the eMMC, copying it, mounting it in a reader connected to a linux box, and modifying the file system on the chip, right?

Looks quite involved. I might even decide to to go for it but it would be a project with risk.

Yeah, his way is less invasive than some other methods ive seen. you can just take the board to a reputable shop and see if they can do it, there are folks who do this *sugar* for a living and have steady hands.

Does anyone have any recommendations on shops in the Bay Area. I'd love to get this thing sockets and backed up in case the flash ever fails and why not replace it with higher quality part?

Sorka, Ingineerix can do the work you want him to. He lost the lease on his warehouse and is in the process of building another one. You can search on YouTube to find him. He may not be able to help until he gets his new workspace built. His old shop was in Berkeley CA.

Sorka, Ingineerix can do the work you want him to. He lost the lease on his warehouse and is in the process of building another one. You can search on YouTube to find him. He may not be able to help until he gets his new workspace built. His old shop was in Berkeley CA.

He was my first choice but hasn't responded to PMs and I don't know any other way to get a hold of him. Does anyone else have a contact for him?

He was my first choice but hasn't responded to PMs and I don't know any other way to get a hold of him. Does anyone else have a contact for him?
Rich Rebuilds on YouTube did a video within the last 6 weeks with him at his old warehouse. You could send Rich a message or respond to one of his latest YouTubes and I am sure that he has his contact information. The YouTube was on the EMMCs turning into a brick.