Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're generated based on the BCM's internal certificate (from the factory) and paired with the DU at install. So, unique to the car, but nothing to do with the VIN per se.

I spent years developing hardware and software that allow the use of the Tesla drive units without any physical modifications to the drive unit. Also developed this process to work with any variation of Model S/X drive unit from day 1 to present, including the front versions.

The controller replacement setups are pretty terrible. I've tried every one of the ones I'm aware of on my test bench... I mean heck, one of them uses a hobbyist WiFi module for primary control... like seriously.

Anyway, getting full control over the units and refining that to the point where they can be used outside of a Tesla vehicle without hardware modifications has taken years to get perfect. Best of luck if that's the route you're going. Some hurdles are easier than others, but there's some doozies in there.
Whats the CAN ID for turning the cluster to car on do u have a document with all the can Ids documented?

Got a MCU1 now which @Happy Kappy sold me. But how do I get it to boot? I don't get that stuff with those scripts because I don't even know how to run those. I've connected power and Ground but screen stays black
Are you sure you got the right connections? If not then send a picture. If all good then please let me know what voltage you have set and what current you are getting

Are you sure you got the right connections? If not then send a picture. If all good then please let me know what voltage you have set and what current you are getting
I am not exactly sure but I thought it was. First Picture shows the two Pins I connected to 12V, second Ground. I've hooked them to a 12V PC Power Supply

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_183535.jpg
    IMG_20220303_183535.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20220303_183542.jpg
    IMG_20220303_183542.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 95
MCU runs now. I started messing with the CAN bus stuff now but I do want my IC to work with this MCU. It doesn't match tho because it came from a white 70 while the MCU came from a black 75. When I connect them with ethernet and CAN (I connected the IC to CAN 6 which should be correct?) But when booting the MCU the cluster doesn't wake up and the MCU throws a "Software error"
When I now boot the IC manually, reconnect the IC to CAN I still have the same error and nothing changes on the IC, not even error messages pop up, range doesn't change etc. Am I right to assume that I need to redeploy the firmware or must I have somithing connected wrong? I was thinking atleast the data should change, and the errors pop up but nothing. Not even the flashing Park Brake light. Can someone help me?

I am not exactly sure but I thought it was. First Picture shows the two Pins I connected to 12V, second Ground. I've hooked them to a 12V PC Power Supply
So your thing looks good. I normally have it like this and put power supply to run 13.7V
PowerPinsMCU.jpg

I do have a spare harness though so i dont have to worry about what goes where
Yes I could not power on the cluster if it was from a different car, but what I havent tried is connecting it to an MCU with the same firmware. I think the cluster needs to be connected via round black connector to the MCU for it to work as well. You could just run 4 wires from MCU to the IC and see what happens

Reactions: FoxIrate
So your thing looks good. I normally have it like this and put power supply to run 13.7V View attachment 778642
I do have a spare harness though so i dont have to worry about what goes where
Yes I could not power on the cluster if it was from a different car, but what I havent tried is connecting it to an MCU with the same firmware. I think the cluster needs to be connected via round black connector to the MCU for it to work as well. You could just run 4 wires from MCU to the IC and see what happens
Ah I see you have two more grounds and voltage wires connected! Do those run the audio stuff? I couldn't get audio to work too.

So what I will do is attempt again to connect those two together to see what happens. iC just refused to work at all lmao

Ah I see you have two more grounds and voltage wires connected! Do those run the audio stuff? I couldn't get audio to work too.

So what I will do is attempt again to connect those two together to see what happens. iC just refused to work at all lmao
how did you connect the IC? Most likely it wont work. The IC i have wont work with another MCU, or at least I dont know how to make it start neither, but it works perfectly fine with MCU from the same car

how did you connect the IC? Most likely it wont work. The IC i have wont work with another MCU, or at least I dont know how to make it start neither, but it works perfectly fine with MCU from the same car
Connected the fakra to the IC port and connected the two CAN lines. Thrn I fired up the MCU, nothing. Powering it manually with the proper CAN data, displays different stuff. I don't have the IC that was from the right car because I actually don't know if @Happy Kappy still has it snd I used my savings for the MCU. So I might have to reflash it