Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That said, I do think a number of Model S buyers would have been and will be Model 3 buyers because of the desire for a smaller (and/or less expensive) car. So in a sense there is "cannibalization" of Model S by Model 3, but I suspect the demand for Model S is high enough (relative to production) that the cannibalization is statistically irrelevant for Model S sales numbers for at least the next 5 years.

I'd be one of those. If the Model 3 was out when I got my S, I would have went for the 3. I like smaller cars. We'll be putting down a deposit on the 3 on 4/1, and depending on features it'll either be my car (wife will get the S), or her car.

A P100D would be a great addition. It would certainly help many potential buyers with range anxiety.

But the big question: How many battery types would they offer? 75, 90, & 100 seem like to many and with the 90 & 100 so close, it wouldn't make sense. Perhaps all the 90's are actually 100's that just need unlocking?

Thanks Erik

I would have thought lotus measured their fuel tanks in thimbles. ;)

Well I do suspect mine has a lower range than a Roadster :redface:

Any way back on topic, I wonder if there are new JPEG images of the car in the Model S firmware.... I don't know maybe with say LED lights and other such nuances. Got to get those folks not looking for performance gains out of their soon to be due Residual Guarantee backed leases somehow ;)

Last edited:
or replace by a smaller tank to save weight ... On a track oriented S1 every kg count ;)

Sorry for the OT pedantry, but Lotus will do just that if you ask ;) Stock is 35 litres upgrade is available to 55 or 60 litre. You can chose new, or add it later. (It's obviously also a chunk cheaper than adding such a capacity jump to a Model S ;) ).

Oh boy. You have no idea how close you guys are to reality. Mercedes actually lists their cars wth a 35 or so liters gasoline tank. You can order an upgraded tank to 85 or so liters. The upgrade is free (or at least the dealer will give it to you for free). Why? Simple: in the emissions tests, the car has to have a full tank of gas. So the "standard" car has a ridiculously small tank to save weight during emissions testing. Out on the road however, you will probably not find a single car with a "standard" gasoline tank, but with the free extra size tank, raising fuel consumption and emissions "legally". Which, btw, puts a regular Mercedes with a regular tank into a range that is probably shorter than the Model S 70's.

I'll crosspost/quote this here since it's relevant:

Looks like I've definitely pissed off someone at Tesla now. They used some method I was unaware of in another process to go in and delete the pending 2.13.77 update from my car.

Code:
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO setting keep alive request to 10 minute(s): remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [MessageDownloader] INFO Starting check for new messages at Tesla mothership 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO Setting keep alive to pending value of 10 for remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [MessageDownloader] INFO Processing 1 messages 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO setting keep alive request to 10 minute(s): remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [CarAPIImpl] INFO Ensuring buses are on for restart_updater 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [VehicleServiceImpl] INFO 35.616 Remote request wake_up returns true 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO Setting keep alive to pending value of 10 for remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid restart-updater: Checking gateway
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid restart-updater: Gateway is responsive.  Restarting updater.
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid restart-updater: Stopping cid-updater
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid init: cid-updater main process (156) killed by TERM signal
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid restart-updater: Restarting ic-updater
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO setting keep alive request to 10 minute(s): remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO Setting keep alive to pending value of 10 for remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:40 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [CarAPIImpl] INFO Triggered restart-updater event exit code= 0 
Mar  4 18:22:47 cid restart-updater: Cleaning cid-updater spool
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid restart-updater: Starting cid-updater
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::folderChange() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::checkForIndicatorFile() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO No files present in  /var/spool/cid-updater/staged 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, update 2.13.77-U is available: false 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::folderChange() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::checkForIndicatorFile() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO No files present in  /var/spool/cid-updater/staged 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, update 2.13.77-U is available: false 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [SoftwareUpdateAvailableNotification] INFO Notification UPDATE_AVAILABLE cleared with value 0 
Mar  4 18:22:51 cid init: restart-updater main process (5376) terminated with status 1
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::softwareUpdateSpoolFolderCreated() 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::folderChange() 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::checkForIndicatorFile() 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO No files present in  /var/spool/cid-updater/staged 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, update 2.13.77-U is available: false

Basically they sent the car some command that told it to restart the updater, then the updater restarted and queried the firmware server, which, to its surprise, no longer had an update for me.

Fortunately I backed up the entire flash last night, so, I'll be going through and manually applying an update to my car for the first time later on if they don't undo this, since my car still has the charging bug and I was planning to install this tonight.

Before I get irritated, is there anyone else that still has this update pending but not installed? It's been suggested that I may not have been singled out and that this update was "recalled" per se. But if anyone else still has it staged (has the alarm clock) then that isn't the case.

Better yet, did anyone else that had the alarm clock have it vanish?

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
Uh oh. Hope you're not on the Stewart Alsop list now! ;)
disable summon quick! your car may just get "summoned" right back to Fremont.

For some reason "Summon" always makes me think of this:

357a5184fc9376685066e9a0d155c7ac.jpg

Must. Resist. Hacking. Firmware. Don't. Look. In. To. The. Eye...

497109192905414ec5046e5e7bc97ce4.jpg

This thread just got slashdot'd... Hacker May Have Discovered Plans For A Tesla P100D - Slashdot

Not sure if the slashdot effect is still a thing these days or not, but I'll shoot a PM to doug just in case.

Well, the community at /. is still as mature as it always has been. Reading the comments is... not recommended :)

Over in the 7.1 thread it was a suggestion that they may have stopped the roll-out of 2.13.77 because of your discoveries, but that seems silly as you do have a copy of the bits, correct?

Also, with Elon's public comment on your work... has anyone from Tesla talked to you what was up with the weird attempt to stage the even older version and thereby wipe your copy of 2.13.77? Or is there still nothing but silence from their side?

I can't wait for you to post the on screen representation of the Model 3 and the facelifted Model S :-D

Well, the community at /. is still as mature as it always has been. Reading the comments is... not recommended :)

Yup, gotta love the internet. :D

Over in the 7.1 thread it was a suggestion that they may have stopped the roll-out of 2.13.77 because of your discoveries, but that seems silly as you do have a copy of the bits, correct?

I had made a copy, yes. I also manually updated my car to 2.13.77. It is certainly conceivable they stopped the roll-out in order to prevent any more people from potentially seeing info that probably should remain non-public. There are definitely others with root on their cars, I just seem to be the only one being pretty open about that fact. (Maybe I should change my signature? lol)

Also, with Elon's public comment on your work... has anyone from Tesla talked to you what was up with the weird attempt to stage the even older version and thereby wipe your copy of 2.13.77? Or is there still nothing but silence from their side?

Musk's comment was sufficient for me to understand that this was more likely just someone acting impulsively. As of now the only contact I've had with Tesla since this started has been that comment from Musk. I've reached out to the few contacts I have expressing my apologies for the unintentional info leak, but as of now have not heard back from anyone.

I can't wait for you to post the on screen representation of the Model 3 and the facelifted Model S :-D

Even it that were in there..................................................................................................................................... I think I'd rather stay closer to Tesla's good side than **** list. ;)