Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:
The content of the variable GUI_chargeSessionAlerts:
GTW_w061_hvacRailTooLow - this one is common, always there, probably something air conditioning related. Anyway, AC works fine.
BMS_w093_SW_FastChg_Problem,
BMS_u011_Fast_Charger_Problem,
+FC_w174_CA_vehReadyTimeout_PT,
+FC_w176_CA_chargingBusTimeout_PT,
+FC_w184_CA_evseBatMalfunc_PT

Anybody experienced this before ? The charge port is US and I am using a US Tesla Chademo adapter.
You must update software for CID and IC 17.32.2 - after that version no problem with chademo ( difference chademo and GW,BMS,CHG firmware )

• Informative
Reactions: GeorgeCM
Hello guys, no activity here for a while.
I was trying to replace a gen1 charger and HVJB with GEN2 in a 2013 Model S.
The car, as expected, does not recognize the new charger, as expected it needs redeploy to match the firmware on gw and charger.
The problem is that the GEN2 charger looks like it is in a continuous reboot cycle, so the car does not detect it to update the firmware:

The power usage from the 12V DC goes up to 47 mA. it stays there exactly 10 seconds and then goes down to 11 mA, then says there 1-2 seconds then goes up to 47 mA again, and this cycle repeats forever:

When the charger is disconnected from the car, and connected to a can logging device, it powers up, then for 10 seconds outputs can data at 500kbps, then shuts down forever, until disconnect the power and reconnect:

Anybody played with this beast ? Any idea how to keep it awake until the car detects it and redeploys ?

Reactions: hiroshiy
Is the GEN2 programmed as a slave?
The short time it stays UP (10 seconds) between reboots is not enough to even connect to it, the car does not have time to identify it, neither Toolbox does. It must have a signal, input pin on the 10 pin connector coming from HVJB gen2, but I can't test as I don't have another car to measure these signals. Or maybe it expects receiving a specific CAN package to make it stay awake ? @wk057, any clue what that can be, have you ever tried to retrofit GEN2 charger and HVJB replacing GEN1 charger and HVJB ?

Last edited:
Ok, I understand. What I can contribute is testing data from Europe. I'm only 1 hour away from the autobahn where I can do some testing at full throttle.
I love playing around with this stuff and learning about all possible details of the car so I'd like to buy a CAN bus logger that allows me to get a maximum of data to do so.
I'm sure I would be able to help some folks in Belgium and the Netherlands that have questions on their battery health and things like that.

From what I understand, right now the SavvyCAN is probably the easiest option but I need to find a way to get it shipped at a reasonable cost. The list price of $295 is fine but adding $190.79 for shipping + probably an additional European import tax + VAT on top looks a bit much in comparison with the list price.

Respect for the work you and others are doing to offer all of this to the community for rep points only!

i would say the easiest and cheapest is to get an arduino UNO or raspberry and some canbus chips which will communicate via SPI. SPI is fast enough to transfer the information from canbus chip to arduino UNO /raspbi.
rasbperry has the advantage of being able to log to sdcard or even stream it via wifi , or you could code up quickly a node.js webserver.
depending on what your needs are I doubt you would need to pay 300$ if you want to play a bit with canbus frames.

krash has put together a nice list of what's available:
Diagnostic Port Index
see section:ELM ODB2 Module Alternatives

this thread is really huge, read a bit through it because i'm looking for information to access the diagnostic service screen.
my understanding is, reading on here, that you need a code that is changed daily. is this correct?
I guess we would need root to read this code? or is reading of the code off-limits so that it's impossible to now access the diagnostic screen?

just waging if I should invest time in trying to access or it's a lost cause.

thanks

@Gesteur - read around some of the other threads. There is another way to expose the diagnostic screens with Ethernet access

thanks for the reply, from what I've read, the LAN on the ethernet port is not accessible anymore from the exposed connector. I don't want to tear the car apart, removing dashboard and so. If there was an easy way to see the info OK, otherwise I'll just try to read things from canbus as I'm currently doing.

@amund7 thanks, I'll check it out.

thanks for the reply, from what I've read, the LAN on the ethernet port is not accessible anymore from the exposed connector. I don't want to tear the car apart, removing dashboard and so. If there was an easy way to see the info OK, otherwise I'll just try to read things from canbus as I'm currently doing.

@amund7 thanks, I'll check it out.
The only way you can get access to the car's network is by the IC - CID cable or if you can open the diagnostic port.
You can get access to the first by disassembling the dash and taking out the IC, connecting your laptop in it's place.
For the latter you need the unlock code. That you basically can't get unless you have access to official resources.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
I only have the CAN bus connected between the MCU and the IC currently. I'm working on getting some CAN sniffers/injectors setup now for that bus and the other *four* (five total) CAN buses on this car. Probably will be a few days before I actually have time to tinker with all of the CAN stuff.

Not sure what you mean by "the servo controller." There appear to be five CAN bus connections and some LIN connections on the MCU. The LIN stuff looks to work for homelink, the seat heaters, the electrochromatic mirror dimmers, and some 12V battery monitoring system I'm unsure about.

- - - Updated - - -

*shrugs*

I don't feel like I'm obligated to notify Tesla of anything at all, honestly. If they provided me with the hardware and such to tinker with, and maybe even some additional info and insight to make the job easier, then sure, they would be the first to know of anything I come up with. But I purchased the hardware I'm working with myself and I'm doing so basically blind to the inner workings. Also, considering pretty much anything I do here is going to involve some form of hardware hack and not something that some random person is going to be able to do to some random Model S to cause any issues... honestly, I'll probably just post my findings here and be done with it. If Tesla wants to follow along, they're more than welcome to just like anyone else. I'll gladly entertain their questions/comments/concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I was honestly thinking the same thing when I came up with the initial idea. Would require a switch of some kind to toggle between the rearview cam and the connected HDMI device, though, which would likely have three settings: Rear, Aux, Auto... where auto would default to the rear cam when nothing was connected to the aux HDMI.

Honestly, this will probably be the easiest part once I get a hold of a rear cam to play with...

I have made the HDMI available to go thru the rear-camera channel, but the audio has got to go thru Bluetooth (expecting 1-1.5s delay). Is there alternative other than Bluetooth? Adding an external DSP with aux in to the MCU would be a hard job and it is for Premium Audio system only.

• Love
Reactions: supratachophobia
I have made the HDMI available to go thru the rear-camera channel, but the audio has got to go thru Bluetooth (expecting 1-1.5s delay). Is there alternative other than Bluetooth? Adding an external DSP with aux in to the MCU would be a hard job and it is for Premium Audio system only.
I would purchase a device that toggled between a couple of HDMI inputs plus rear view camera....

Care to start making them???