Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the motors warm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only thing you need to worry about in cold weather is the reduced range from the battery. The drive motors don't require any warming up, at least not in the same way that an internal combustion engine would.

No,
Battery conditioning is the only thing, and Tesla does this automatically . If you want to save energy from battery to do so , you stay plugged in while conditioning.
Motors themselves work excellent cold and actually produce heat .

ICE engines...you preheat to heat to the oil which lubricates the engine so there is less wear

• Funny
Reactions: Kuhz
The motor doesn't need to warm up.

Not sure if it's neccessary, but I usually drive carefully the first kilometers anyway if it's really cold. In my imagination a really cold battery that is heated fast will accumulate stress from thermal movements and degrade faster than a more gradually heated battery.

A friend of mine that has an S suggested setting my charging time to finish right before I leave for work to warm up the batteries. He said his experience was that regenerative breaking doesn't function well in the cold. I only talked to him for a minute but I'm not sure if he was referring to not functioning at all or just not recharging.

A friend of mine that has an S suggested setting my charging time to finish right before I leave for work to warm up the batteries. He said his experience was that regenerative breaking doesn't function well in the cold. I only talked to him for a minute but I'm not sure if he was referring to not functioning at all or just not recharging.
Regenerative braking does not work at all if internal battery temp is <4 Celsius. Reduced up to about 12 degrees. Because lithium batteries can't accept charge, and the electrical system has no place to put the energy.

Reactions: Big Earl
So the breaks still work, they just aren’t recharging?
The brakes will always work... the regen (slowing down) when you let off accelerator will not.

Now while you don't need to let the motors warm up, you can preheat the interior so you feel more comfortable. this also heats the battery. If you do this while it's plugged in, you will not lose any range. Get in the car, turn on the seat warmer, and away you go.