Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the waiting begin!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I finally did it - I took the plunge, made a leap of faith, bit the bullet and let the other shoe drop; I pulled the trigger, lit the fuse, and kicked things off...

after months of dithering, I made the 4-1/2 hour journey to Marietta for a test drive and ordered a Model S.

The order includes a 90D with 19" wheels, and all options except for cold weather package, 3d row seats, and premium sound. (I thought about the premium sound, but realized I mostly listen to NPR talk shows so premium sound would be overkill; moreover, it includes XM, which I had in my Mercedes and didn't like because (a) it is expensive for what you get, (b) the signal drops out sometimes, and (c) they don't carry my 2 favorite NPR programs - Morning Edition and All Things Considered - when I cancelled it on my Mercedes, they contacted me frequently for the next year trying to get me to re-up.)

Selected Deep Blue for color, with gray seats and glossy obeche. The sales rep said they are estimating 8 weeks to delivery (but I know the reality could be quite different).

Interesting experience the test drive - they had a demo car with a software package that allowed them to select the performance characteristics of various other models from a drop down list - 70D up to "max," whatever that is. The car was badged as 90D, so I don't know if it could do Ludicrous power levels. (I'm thinking not).

Managed to scare myself with a power launch - wow, what a rush.

Next, I will document the progress of my Most Excellent Monster Power Upgrade being done at my house (which so far has cost the power company at least $7000, at their expense).

Congratulations!!! I, too, am playing the waiting game. I'm going through the power upgrade at my house. too, but it's on my on dime, so bully for you!! I chose the Titanium, 19 inch cyclone wheels (days before the new wheels were announced), and all the options save the third row seats. I've seen the delivery update change from late March/April to March 23 - April 8 to March 23 - March 30. At this rate, it'll be here tomorrow!

It's been somewhat of a dream, but now coming to fruition. I've got the electrical upgrades schedule for next week (a 2 day process to replace the current 200A box we have now and wire our garage) and I'm struggling with a dearth of paint protection options in my current location. We're taking delivery in Nashville and driving home to KY.

I spent my formative years in Tuscaloosa, and though I've yet to take delivery, I'm certain you'll be blown away. I can only imagine rolling down University Blvd with the top open.

Roll Tide!

BS Alabama '79, MD UAB '83

Congratulations!!! I, too, am playing the waiting game. I'm going through the power upgrade at my house. too, but it's on my on dime, so bully for you!! I chose the Titanium, 19 inch cyclone wheels (days before the new wheels were announced), and all the options save the third row seats. I've seen the delivery update change from late March/April to March 23 - April 8 to March 23 - March 30. At this rate, it'll be here tomorrow!

It's been somewhat of a dream, but now coming to fruition. I've got the electrical upgrades schedule for next week (a 2 day process to replace the current 200A box we have now and wire our garage) and I'm struggling with a dearth of paint protection options in my current location. We're taking delivery in Nashville and driving home to KY.

I spent my formative years in Tuscaloosa, and though I've yet to take delivery, I'm certain you'll be blown away. I can only imagine rolling down University Blvd with the top open.

Roll Tide!

BS Alabama '79, MD UAB '83

Excellent. Please post something when you get your car.

Actually, the electrical upgrades are being split between myself and Alabama Power - they take care of the part before the electric meter, and I take care of the part behind - which includes a 200A to 400A panel upgrade, and numerous other things. (So far they have spent $7k on their part, and I have spent $5k and change)... I am adding a hot tub, plus electric car charging, and full-power ham radio station to a house which, according to APCO records, was already very heavily loaded by 5 ton heat pump; so they decided to upgrade lines to the house - what a project (I will post something separately on this when the project is finished). Electrician says that APCO plans on a 50-year horizon. My electric bill was > $300 per month before - will increase, BUT I am also planning to add an 8 kw solar photovoltaic system which should more than offset the addition. We won't tell APCO that I am anticipating my electric bill will actually go down. (I don't think they worry about this at all).

- What paint protection are you putting on? (I think I have to go to Montgomery to get paint protection in this area).

- Regarding University Blvd.... I forgot to mention, I did not order the moveable top. I have had sun roofs, moon roofs, and similar things in many cars, and I found out I would use them maybe once a year; so I didn't get that.

Can you explain how you got the power company to pay for the upgrade at your house?

Actually, my electrician talked to them. He talked to someone in engineering and told them all the new loads I plan to add, and the electric meter#; the engineer pulled records and found out that last year, during one month (must have been a cold one - this was before we moved to this house) - the power draw was 4700 kwh for the month. Apparently this is a lot for the size of wire in the ground (that runs between the transformer and my electric meter). The way APCO looks at it, they get paid only for power delivered thru the meter. When the feed wire (before the meter) is running hot, this is lost revenue to them, because they are generating power for it (in addition to what I am drawing thru the meter that I pay for).

So the question is whether your historical load is high for the existing infrastructure,

Regarding the new meter housing and new main panel, I paid my own electrician to do all that. I don't mind shelling out for extra capacity there. Remember how the old (1885) Mentone Inn burned down a couple of years ago? Inadequate main panel.

- What paint protection are you putting on? (I think I have to go to Montgomery to get paint protection in this area).

I honestly don't know.... I've tried to research the options on the forum, and I'm not sure at all which direction I should go. I'm not convinced of what is the best solution. Even in Louisville, which is a fair-sized city, there aren't many options. I went back and forth about the options package, and went for everything but the third row seats. I probably won't open the top too much either, but I couldn't resist that expanse of glass.

Now, if we can get better Supercharger locations west of Tuscaloosa, we'd be in business. I anticipate traveling through Western Kentucky/Tennessee and Mississippi, and it's still a Supercharger desert. The 2016 map of planned Supercharger locations offers hope, however.

Tuscaloosa has been on my mind quite a bit lately, coming up on the 5 year anniversary of the tornado there.

The supercharger map shows a "coming soon" SC for Jackson, MS, and the 2016 map shows SCs for Huntsville (I'd guess near Decatur) and Birmingham (I'd guess off 459) , as well as Memphis (probably of most interest to you; but for now, it's problematic. This is an area that I would likely travel thru also, once superchargers are in place. There are a few destination charging options thru there.

There is destination charging at what looks like a very nice bed & breakfast close to Gatlinburg - that might be one of our first road trips.

Well, my Model S order has been confirmed for 3 days - already Tesla has asked for proof of insurance and sent me a FedEx overnight mailer - "Your Tesla Model S will be ready for delivery very soon!" - where I need to send back a registration application - gosh, I had been anticipating a wait of 6 to 8 weeks. Maybe all this is normal. I still have not received an email to the effect "your car has entered production." We'll see....