TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Let's discuss improving aerodynamics for range benefit.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Thomas Edison, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

The performance package says that the spoiler improves theaerodynamics. So clearly tesla didn't make it the best they could for the molded-in factory spoiler. Makes me wonder how much longer it can be to be maximally efficient. The aero covers could be replaced with smooth covers to improve things there too. Or is there some vortex benefit thing that I am on aware of to make that not true? I'm actually planning on getting a license for wind tunnel modeling software for a couple months once I get my car (AWD on order).

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Well what do they mean by "For enhanced aerodynamics and improved stability at high speeds"? Are they improving the aerodynamics for range, or for stability at high speeds? (Which might actually reduce range.)

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

i highly doubt that decklid spoiler does anything for real world driving.

a real spoiler would have more stability at high speeds but will create more drag which will result in less range.

i think you are over thinking things. just buy the car and enjoy it man lol

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Thomas Edison

I'm serious about this thread and will not do that LOL. Clearly you're not interested, that's fine

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Improving aerodynamics for range: Wheel covers (default purchase option, so that's done), reduce ride height, eliminate side mirrors (replace with camera pods, screens on inside).

The Model 3 is already otherwise one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market, if not the most aerodynamic car. There aren't many tweaks for aerodynamics that your or I can make without extensive rebodying. Reducing weight, however, will have a significant impact on efficiency.

• Like x 1
  6. Thomas Edison

Last time I checked the model 3 wasn't a sphere. Ecomodders go so far as to cover the rear wheels and tape over hood seams.

7. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

A sphere is not the most aerodynamic shape.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. Thomas Edison

Brainfarted, you got me on that one

9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

I've thought a lot about this.... If I had the equipment and time... I'd like to modify the side mirrors on my model S to be squashed as close to the chrome height as possible, almost like it sits an inch above the chrome with F1 style mirrors.... that way, you might still be able to keep the wifi antenna in there but would reap the benefits of reduced cross section area. Let's say, that results in 3 % range improvement... My other modification would be to get the wipers below the wind flow on the trunk (this is more for noise since for some reason, the wipers sit slightly above).

Finally, I think there is significant room to smooth the bottom of the car, eliminating any gaps bolts and seams.... it's already super smooth down there, but there are certainly gaps that could be eliminated.

I'd remove the Tesla logo on the hood, get rid of any gaps on the windshield (side note, a simple black line of electrical tape between windshield and glass roof has significantly lessened my wind noise, and you can't even notice that the tape is there!)

One other fantastic modification would be to replicate the trim on the new VW beetle around the side windows.

Yes, my car would be so aerodynamic and slippery that traction control may short circuit....we're losing control of the engine captain, we doooon't have the power!

• Like x 2
  10. buttershrimp

11. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

The 3's pretty dang efficient and it's drag area puts a Prius to shame. While I'm sure it could be improved, I doubt swapping the aero wheel covers would help much. You could go full boattail, and maybe reduce the drag coefficient by 20+%.

Honda Insight Tail Extension Project - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

At the same time, you could see the same improvement by going from 70mph to 63mph (roughly) with a simple modification to the nut behind the wheel. ;)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

The most aerodynamic shape is a teardrop, but few would buy such a car.

13. buttershrimp

Speak for yourself! I'm in!
    1513_peugeot_moville.jpg

• Funny x 4
  14. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Teardrops are formed by the interaction between the water's surface tension and dynamic air pressure; they aren't inherently the most aerodynamic shape for every operating environment.

In particular, the interface with the road surface changes things - a teardrop car would build up a high pressure region at the front between it and the road, producing extra drag and dangerous lift.

It's actually the being a car parts that companies struggle with for drag - so we get innovative approaches like the Leaf bug eyes that are intended to guide air around the side mirrors, or the double nose and guide slots of recent Teslas and others that are creating a high speed curtain across the front wheels to cut their impact. (The game isn't just about aerodynamics, either, and I think pedestrian safety requirements may contribute to the double nose decision.)

It's not a simple game or an easy one to guess, and I guarantee Tesla didn't leave anything on the table that they knew about and didn't have a significant impact to something else they thought was important. I'm pretty sure the performance package reference to aero is about downforce and high speed handling rather than reduced drag at normal speeds.

• Like x 1
  15. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I’m waiting for someone to make aero covers for the 19 and 20” wheels.

16. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

i thought the best aero dynamic shape is an arrow.
    Untitled.png

17. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I don't think aerodynamics has anything to do with arrow design, except for stability.

The shaft length and diameter/stiffness are sized as the minimum needed to facilitate and survive the launch process in the bow.

Arrowhead geometry and material is selected based on the nature of the target and desired impact (and available materials/techniques of course.)

The fletchings are the only part with a specific aerodynamic purpose - but that purpose is to move the center of pressure aft of the center of gravity for stability in flight, nothing to do with drag.

• Like x 2
  18. buttershrimp

Dang! Katniss just joined TMC!

• Funny x 2