Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's discuss improving aerodynamics for range benefit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The performance package says that the spoiler improves theaerodynamics. So clearly tesla didn't make it the best they could for the molded-in factory spoiler. Makes me wonder how much longer it can be to be maximally efficient. The aero covers could be replaced with smooth covers to improve things there too. Or is there some vortex benefit thing that I am on aware of to make that not true? I'm actually planning on getting a license for wind tunnel modeling software for a couple months once I get my car (AWD on order).

i highly doubt that decklid spoiler does anything for real world driving.

a real spoiler would have more stability at high speeds but will create more drag which will result in less range.

i think you are over thinking things. just buy the car and enjoy it man lol
I'm serious about this thread and will not do that LOL. Clearly you're not interested, that's fine

Improving aerodynamics for range: Wheel covers (default purchase option, so that's done), reduce ride height, eliminate side mirrors (replace with camera pods, screens on inside).

The Model 3 is already otherwise one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market, if not the most aerodynamic car. There aren't many tweaks for aerodynamics that your or I can make without extensive rebodying. Reducing weight, however, will have a significant impact on efficiency.

Reactions: EinSV
Improving aerodynamics for range: Wheel covers (default purchase option, so that's done), reduce ride height, eliminate side mirrors (replace with camera pods, screens on inside).

The Model 3 is already otherwise one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market, if not the most aerodynamic car. There aren't many tweaks for aerodynamics that your or I can make without extensive rebodying. Reducing weight, however, will have a significant impact on efficiency.
Last time I checked the model 3 wasn't a sphere. Ecomodders go so far as to cover the rear wheels and tape over hood seams.

I've thought a lot about this.... If I had the equipment and time... I'd like to modify the side mirrors on my model S to be squashed as close to the chrome height as possible, almost like it sits an inch above the chrome with F1 style mirrors.... that way, you might still be able to keep the wifi antenna in there but would reap the benefits of reduced cross section area. Let's say, that results in 3 % range improvement... My other modification would be to get the wipers below the wind flow on the trunk (this is more for noise since for some reason, the wipers sit slightly above).

Finally, I think there is significant room to smooth the bottom of the car, eliminating any gaps bolts and seams.... it's already super smooth down there, but there are certainly gaps that could be eliminated.

I'd remove the Tesla logo on the hood, get rid of any gaps on the windshield (side note, a simple black line of electrical tape between windshield and glass roof has significantly lessened my wind noise, and you can't even notice that the tape is there!)

One other fantastic modification would be to replicate the trim on the new VW beetle around the side windows.

Yes, my car would be so aerodynamic and slippery that traction control may short circuit....we're losing control of the engine captain, we doooon't have the power!

IMG_3162.jpg

The performance package says that the spoiler improves theaerodynamics. So clearly tesla didn't make it the best they could for the molded-in factory spoiler. Makes me wonder how much longer it can be to be maximally efficient. The aero covers could be replaced with smooth covers to improve things there too. Or is there some vortex benefit thing that I am on aware of to make that not true? I'm actually planning on getting a license for wind tunnel modeling software for a couple months once I get my car (AWD on order).
The 3's pretty dang efficient and it's drag area puts a Prius to shame. While I'm sure it could be improved, I doubt swapping the aero wheel covers would help much. You could go full boattail, and maybe reduce the drag coefficient by 20+%.

Honda Insight Tail Extension Project - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

At the same time, you could see the same improvement by going from 70mph to 63mph (roughly) with a simple modification to the nut behind the wheel. ;)

The most aerodynamic shape is a teardrop, but few would buy such a car.

Teardrops are formed by the interaction between the water's surface tension and dynamic air pressure; they aren't inherently the most aerodynamic shape for every operating environment.

In particular, the interface with the road surface changes things - a teardrop car would build up a high pressure region at the front between it and the road, producing extra drag and dangerous lift.

It's actually the being a car parts that companies struggle with for drag - so we get innovative approaches like the Leaf bug eyes that are intended to guide air around the side mirrors, or the double nose and guide slots of recent Teslas and others that are creating a high speed curtain across the front wheels to cut their impact. (The game isn't just about aerodynamics, either, and I think pedestrian safety requirements may contribute to the double nose decision.)

It's not a simple game or an easy one to guess, and I guarantee Tesla didn't leave anything on the table that they knew about and didn't have a significant impact to something else they thought was important. I'm pretty sure the performance package reference to aero is about downforce and high speed handling rather than reduced drag at normal speeds.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
i thought the best aero dynamic shape is an arrow.
View attachment 316290

I don't think aerodynamics has anything to do with arrow design, except for stability.

The shaft length and diameter/stiffness are sized as the minimum needed to facilitate and survive the launch process in the bow.

Arrowhead geometry and material is selected based on the nature of the target and desired impact (and available materials/techniques of course.)

The fletchings are the only part with a specific aerodynamic purpose - but that purpose is to move the center of pressure aft of the center of gravity for stability in flight, nothing to do with drag.

I don't think aerodynamics has anything to do with arrow design, except for stability.

The shaft length and diameter/stiffness are sized as the minimum needed to facilitate and survive the launch process in the bow.

Arrowhead geometry and material is selected based on the nature of the target and desired impact (and available materials/techniques of course.)

The fletchings are the only part with a specific aerodynamic purpose - but that purpose is to move the center of pressure aft of the center of gravity for stability in flight, nothing to do with drag.

Dang! Katniss just joined TMC!