Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets get an official TMC Vote on the Horn Location Change

What are your thoughts on the new horn location?

• I would have preferred the traditional method: press center pad on steering wheel to activate horn

• I prefer the horn be activated only by the new small horn button

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One would think with all the Tesla AI and such, a horn button would not be necessary. The car should determine when the horn should be activated and the level of aggression necessary.
And maybe a 'mood' setting in the menu to determine the level and duration of the horn. the ubiquitoous 'Chill' mode, the 'I need to vent' mode, and the 'You wanna see who the bigger Ahole is?' mode

By "traditional way", do you mean the one finger salute?
by one finger salute do you mean the "California hello"? And i have trouble using that when I'm in the car. Now on the Harley i wave a CA hello to A LOT of people while I'm out riding.

But seriously its pretty stupid to move the horn from the middle of the wheel to a tiny button on the side. When you need to quickly alert someone all the surface area of the middle of the wheel is a hell of a lot easier to hit in a microsecond vs hitting a tiny button on the side of the wheel with a single finger.

What's the advantage of removing the horn from the center of the wheel anyway?
It's a safety thing. What do most people do right before they get in an accident? Honk the horn. That puts your hand right over the airbag at the exact moment it goes off. 27% of accidents lead to the airbag breaking your wrist and smashing your hand into your own face. Elon thoughtfully placed the horn on the side of the yoke to avoid face-smashing.

* 65% of statistics are made up, just like everything in this post.

• Funny
Reactions: BigNick
ButtonS or buttoN?
Back in the early days of airbags, it was frequently too difficult or expensive to have the center of the steering wheel work as the horn. This led to multiple horn buttons on steering wheel spokes, sometimes as many as four of them within convenient thumb-reach. Even a setup similar to this would be preferable to the tiny contact space for the horn on a single yoke "spoke."

Reactions: 2101Guy
It's a safety thing. What do most people do right before they get in an accident? Honk the horn. That puts your hand right over the airbag at the exact moment it goes off. 27% of accidents lead to the airbag breaking your wrist and smashing your hand into your own face. Elon thoughtfully placed the horn on the side of the yoke to avoid face-smashing.

* 65% of statistics are made up, just like everything in this post.
I now have a visual of an angry driver punching the center of the wheel with his fist, only to have the airbag deploy in the shape of a large boxing glove, punching him back. Yes, I'm weird.

Also, it's 69% of statistics that are made up.