Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's go Caravanning - anyone else???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3459.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Daedalus and Durzel
Sorry guys, but for me this is...

I always ask my self, why the hell with the cost of the caravan (we talk here 10+ k gbp for anything half decent) you want to pee in in shower and shower in toilet? :D for that money you can have decent B&B for 50 weekends at least... vans/motor homes are even worse in price wise :/

I always cringe when I see someone arriving to the campsite with a caravan, then pulling out satellite antenna and then sitting inside the caravan whole evening, watching TV... why even bother :/

I’ve since added the roof bars to the car and invested in a 330L roof box to add to the amount of crap we can take with us. I’ve been getting between 150 and 200 miles when towing the Opus, so will be interesting to see how much further the range is impacted with the big lump on the roof.
452A04D3-56D0-412F-B1B9-19936EFAEDF8.jpeg

Reactions: Daedalus

I always ask my self, why the hell with the cost of the caravan (we talk here 10+ k gbp for anything half decent) you want to pee in in shower and shower in toilet? :D for that money you can have decent B&B for 50 weekends at least... vans/motor homes are even worse in price wise :/
At the end of your 50 weekends the money is gone, we still have a caravan to sell probably for the same price it cost, There is no B&B at camping Villamar either 😛

At the end of your 50 weekends the money is gone, we still have a caravan to sell probably for the same price it cost, There is no B&B at camping Villamar either 😛
probably yeah. but 50 weekends is like 10 years :/.. and there's plenty other night staying options in Villamar :D

I just say that I always find it odd.. I was evaluating camping vehicle (van) myself, as we are 3 people family, and found silly financially, at least for my use.

probably yeah. but 50 weekends is like 10 years :/.. and there's plenty other night staying options in Villamar :D

I just say that I always find it odd.. I was evaluating camping vehicle (van) myself, as we are 3 people family, and found silly financially, at least for my use.
I agree it's not for everyone, we considered a motorhome but would miss having a car too much, Our van weighs 800kg and is narrower than the car, you don't even notice it behind the Y. If you camp off grid using the gas and 12v then it usually costs a tenner a night.

I always cringe when I see someone arriving to the campsite with a caravan, then pulling out satellite antenna and then sitting inside the caravan whole evening, watching TV... why even bother :/
People entertain themselves in whichever way they wish. Some people spend hundreds of thousands of £ on recreational drugs, and where does that get them? If someone wants to pay to watch TV in different bits of the countryside, fair play to them, if that’s what gives them pleasure. Our trailer tent / folding camper has a massive built-in projector screen and we often watch films/TV in the evenings when we’re out camping. It’s what we enjoy and I’m certainly not ashamed for doing so.

Brought our caravan home last weekend after it spending the summer sited this year didn't take the tesla as I needed more space for everything however I had a tow up and down the driveway just to try it. Our caravan would be on the tow limit of the tesla I think but I will try it out next year to a nearsish site.

Attachments

• 06EAC8FA-87D4-4299-A1C5-9FB22A94481F.jpeg
    06EAC8FA-87D4-4299-A1C5-9FB22A94481F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Brought our caravan home last weekend after it spending the summer sited this year didn't take the tesla as I needed more space for everything however I had a tow up and down the driveway just to try it. Our caravan would be on the tow limit of the tesla I think but I will try it out next year to a nearsish site.
At least with the MY you have 1600kg! The M3’s 1000kg is a little depressing, but it’s manageable.

I've always fancied a motor home and when it's just the Mrs and I that's my goal however I do worry that packing everything up to go an explore somewhere isn't as convenient as a caravan.
On the contrary - onboard water tanks (none of that aqua roll business, onboard waste water tanks (none of that waste master business), just put the kettle away and away you go. When you arrive somewhere put the automatic levellers down, switch on the inverter, get the kettle out and fill it from the tap connected to the already full water tank and you have a cup of tea in your hand in 5 minutes from arrival!!

Reactions: Sparky750
On the contrary - onboard water tanks (none of that aqua roll business, onboard waste water tanks (none of that waste master business), just put the kettle away and away you go. When you arrive somewhere put the automatic levellers down, switch on the inverter, get the kettle out and fill it from the tap connected to the already full water tank and you have a cup of tea in your hand in 5 minutes from arrival!!

Cheers sounds idyllic, I was more talking about driving into a town etc parking and generally driving about. We've got a lot of years before we get rid of the kids yet 😂 so it's got to be a caravan but a motor home is my retirement dream

Cheers sounds idyllic, I was more talking about driving into a town etc parking and generally driving about. We've got a lot of years before we get rid of the kids yet 😂 so it's got to be a caravan but a motor home is my retirement dream
We used to tow a Smart car on a trailer but it was too much of a faff. Now we have a couple of folding electric bikes in the van garage. We go away to Europe every year for 2 to 3 months, plus the odd week or so away in the UK and the bikes do us just fine (and we’re no spring chickens having retired more than 20 years back!)

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Get yourself a Gobur...
We love our Opus! They come in at 800kg, but the extra gubbins soon pile on the weight!
Where’s the fun in that?! A camping weekend isn’t complete without backbreaking set up and pack down! :D😂🥲