Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's Not Lie: GM's New Ultium Battery Isn't Better Than Tesla's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
200-kWh and 400 miles of range is GM's claim, but Tesla has cars with a claimed range of over 620 miles.

General Motors recently revealed its all-new Ultium battery technology and immediately it was deemed by some as Tesla beating, but is that truly the case?

When GM spilled details...

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/03/13/gm-battery-not-beat-tesla/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Nobody has any idea what GM is actually doing at this stage. Making their own batteries is big step though. The stockholders aren't too happy so GM released a teaser with an emphasis on this being tech for licensing. They are dumping a lot cash into R&D still without increasing the bottom line yet.
If they really make a 1000HP Hummer, I will at least test drive it.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Nobody has any idea what GM is actually doing at this stage. Making their own batteries is big step though. The stockholders aren't too happy so GM released a teaser with an emphasis on this being tech for licensing. They are dumping a lot cash into R&D still without increasing the bottom line yet.
If they really make a 1000HP Hummer, I will at least test drive it.

Agree. Not even GM knows what they are doing other than committing a big spend to EVs. I really want the Hummer EV to be amazing, but, even if it is (which is a big "if"), the price/cost is going to be ridiculous .... and then there's Cybertruck and all the other ev truck/suvs that will be out by then.

Still waiting for someone to Compare Tesla R&D with almost ANY other auto company.

2010-2019 Total Tesla R&D ~ $7 billion
Roadster/S/X/3/Y/batteries/SEMI/CyberTruck/Glass solar roof/storage/solar panels

Warning: Don't use my numbers, I may have made a mistake. You can do your own research (internet searches)

Seems, to me, most auto companies can easily spend $2-4 billion just on a model refresh.

Reactions: MitchMitch
2 miles per kWh out of something the size of an Escalade with its huge tires and frontal area is pretty impressive. For comparison, the substantially smaller Audi e-Tron struggles to get the same efficiency. Expect smaller vehicles with this same EV technology to get better efficiency. Unfortunately, GM and American consumers are infatuated with huge, inefficient vehicles.

200-kWh and 400 miles of range is GM's claim, but Tesla has cars with a claimed range of over 620 miles.

General Motors recently revealed its all-new Ultium battery technology and immediately it was deemed by some as Tesla beating, but is that truly the case?

When GM spilled details...

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/03/13/gm-battery-not-beat-tesla/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Is it true that the Ultium Battery will replace scarce and expensive cobalt with unobtanium? :)

Still waiting for someone to Compare Tesla R&D with almost ANY other auto company.

2010-2019 Total Tesla R&D ~ $7 billion
Roadster/S/X/3/Y/batteries/SEMI/CyberTruck/Glass solar roof/storage/solar panels

Warning: Don't use my numbers, I may have made a mistake. You can do your own research (internet searches)

Seems, to me, most auto companies can easily spend $2-4 billion just on a model refresh.
What are you expecting to learn? That Tesla spends less on R&D than the big auto companies? That Tesla spends more on EV R&D than any big auto company? ...???