TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Let's play "The Price is Right"....FML

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TezlaCurler, Apr 16, 2016.

1. TezlaCurler

TezlaCurler Member

OK, so let's just say its been a bad day.

I was traveling in the right hand lane of a three lane road. The two lanes to the left of me were backed up due to an upcoming traffic light where most people turn left. My lane was free flowing. I was traveling down this lane at about 35 miles an hour (under the posted speed limit of 40), when I see, what I later learned to be a Honda Accord, attempting to blindly cut through these 3 lanes of traffic. I brake and swerve right (to no avail) and he pulls into my lane just as I reach him.

His front fender lightly scrapes by front driver side quarterpanel and digs deeply into my driver side door. His fender then pops off...some other stuff happens but I can't tell you exactly what.

Here is the damage. Damage on each panel of the car on the drivers side and driver door is pretty much hosed. I had the window down so that was shattered as well. Both wheels have superficial damage on them as well.

[​IMG]

From front to back, here is the damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door won't close, so have to power off the car....and climb across from the passenger side. It's driveable other than the fact that the front tire is rubbing.

I had my son in the car with me and thank god we are all safe, no injuries, no airbag deployments, etc.

On the plus side, I am now an expert on towing the model S. Locating and installing the towing eye and using my rear seat all weather mat to protect the front and rear as it is being pulled onto the truck,

So, the contest here is to see who can come closest to the estimate without going over. Add your guess as a comment and we will see who is closest.

By the way, 2016 Tesla Model S 85D (Deep blue metallic, body color roof, premium interior and lighting, autopilot, subzero). Ordered 12/28/15, Confirmed 1/1/16, Picked up 3//8/16, Wrecked by an a**hole 4/16/16.

Perhaps I should have another contest on who guesses the date on which I am finally able to pick up the fully repaired car.

• Like x 1
  2. SDRick

SDRick Member

That really sucks (but I'm glad you are all okay).

$35k and 4 weeks.

Hopefully they will give you a Tesla as a loaner.

3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Ouch. glad everyone is okay. At least 30K and 3 months. Make sure you try and get deminished value from the accident, your resale just lost a certain percentage of prospective buyers.

Higher if there's any damage to the A-pillar

• Like x 1
  4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Sorry to see this, that sucks--especially after having the car just barely over a month! Do you have a dashcam? If not, has the other driver admitted fault?

I'll go with $37,000 and May 30.

The worst part, assuming you don't have to battle the insurance company, will be having to drive something else for awhile.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I am so sorry to see this. Breaks my heart. I really hope that you can get her fixed back to original.

I would say 35-50K and at least 8 weeks. Perhaps 12. I hope that I am totally wrong.

Thank God that you are OK.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'm gonna say it'll cost 27k

Glad everyone is ok!

I'm always weary of some idiot pulling out into my lane when passing stopped traffic as you did! But what can you do, good luck with the entire process hope it's painless

7. satoshi

satoshi Electrical Engineering Student

My guess will be the second the tiniest scratch appears it is totaled. So therefore your car will become totaled.

8. liuping

liuping Active Member

Ouch, that is hard to look at. Though at least no one was hurt.

I'm going to guess $36,500, back by June 1st

9. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

$100K plus brand new car, with about $35K worth of repairs, hard to say. Maybe insurance will call it totalled? Would you prefer a new car??

10. tom66

tom66 Member

Fender, quarter panel, two doors, autopliot sensor(s) plus respray, labour - predicting $45k and 10 weeks.

Best wishes, hope it gets fixed soon.

11. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Yeow, this exact thing happened to me as a teenager in my Fiat 850 Spyder, with similar damage. Since then I've always been wary when there is a large delta in speed between adjacent lanes. My guy asked that we not call the cops as he'd been drinking, so I took his info. Turned out he was a used car dealer and he stiffed me, but being young and dumb I didn't know what to do about it. He'd ruined my beautiful car. Now I go after this type legally and tear them to pieces.

I say that your car is totalled. At least you should hope so.

12. Blue_Model_S

Blue_Model_S Member

I am glad everyone is ok. Also so sorry that it happened to you. It reminds me of someone going out of control and T-boning my car on a highway exit.

13. Chaz

Chaz Big Kahuna

First, I'm glad you and your son are okay.

Second, I hope I'm wrong, but $49k and back to you by August 1st.... :(

Good luck and I hope the insurance companies don't jack you around.

14. TezlaCurler

TezlaCurler Member

So, they picked up the car today. Sad seeing it leave on the flatbed.

Collision guys think it is not as bad as it looks. Largely superficial. We'll see. I think the liquid that was leaking out was windshield wiper fluid vs. battery coolant, so that is good.

Allstate is coming to the body shop to do its claims adjusting. Apparently, Tesla is not in Allstate's claims system and there is just 1 guys in Indiana that can do Tesla claims for Allstate.

Should know more regarding cost and timeline by Thursday.

15. yo mama

yo mama Member

Nooooooo!!! That is a horrible nightmare. My deepest condolences. What did the Honda Accord owner have to say for him/herself?

I'm guessing the repairs will be $39,000.

16. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

#16 RogerHScott, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Ouch! Not to be flippant, but it looks like someone took a giant can opener to it :(:eek:
    There was a thread a while back about someone with similar sounding damage having
    his car declared totaled but then only getting the depreciated value from insurance. This
    is exactly why I took out loan for 100% of my purchase -- even though I didn't need to --
    and then got GAP insurance. If my (even newer) car is totaled I'm only out the sales tax.

I have to wonder whether when all is said and done Tesla themselves concludes it would
    be easier to build you a new one than to repair it. I suppose they can achieve that same
    effect by claiming such an outrageous repair cost that your insurance will call it totaled.
    So I'll put my bet on "totaled" and you'll have a new car (assuming you want it) 6 weeks
    after that determination is made.

17. K_style

K_style Member

$23k 3 weeks.

18. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

I'd say... salvage branding is headed your way... Might as well start shopping for replacement, get the updated Model S probably?

19. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

That might have been me. I had less damage than this, and the quote was $42k for repairs (mid-2014--repair costs have gone down since then). Insurance company totalled it, and I got depreciated value. Had to pay $12k to get back into an equivalent car (although I ended up upgrading to a P85 at the time).

20. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Condolences.

Could be totalled - hard to say until Tesla has a look after the body shop has their look. If not, $40K is my guess, not including the 3-4 months of rental car expense, and headaches of securing diminished value. It's mid-April now. August 1st would be the return date, if there is a return date (see possibility of totalledness).

Narsty stuff.