TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Let's Play "What's It Worth"!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mike K, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Mike K

Mike K Member

Everyone's favorite game except not at all. 2013 S85, air suspension, Tech Package, Ambient LED lights, 19" wheels, UHFS and Pano.

44,000 miles, Pearl White over black, great condition. The downsides, A series pack and a low VIN so no parking sensors or folding mirrors.

Brutal honesty appreciated. I'm looking to grab another S but only if I'm being realistic on the value of my car.

I'm thinking $52,000?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have a very similar car, built more recently than yours so I have parking sensors and power mirrors. See my signature for the options on my car. Have a B pack. A few months ago Tesla offered my a trade-in value of $55K. I think you are about $2-3K low.

3. John E.

John E. Member

If you guys dont mind answering, what was your purchase price? Are your cars worth more or less than 50% of the purchase price after three years?

4. ecarfan

More.

The Model S depreciates at rates comparable to other cars in its price bracket. This has been discussed in the past on TMC. Try searching for threads about it.

5. Mike K

Mike K Member

I paid $52,000 6 months ago. Obviously I bought it used though. :)

I'd be delighted to get 55k for it. I'd happily sell it for 52k to be rid of it quickly though. Minus the $1500 taxes, that would basically mean driving the car for free for 6 months.

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

What are you moving to?

7. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

I think that if you included the ESA in the price you'd have buyers willing to go $52K for it. Seeing some P85s CPOs with similar miles and more optioned going for $55K. These are CPOs that aren't listed but a few examples of this have popped up in the past week or two from other TMC members.

8. Mike K

Mike K Member

I'm not the first owner so the ESA is a no-go. :-(

9. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

I saw that after I posted. Yea, sorry MikeK. IMHO $46K. People get weird when it's "second owner" vehicle sales, warranty coming to an end and CPO's being offered up with reconditioning and warranty. Good news is that it's not a 60 or a 40....

10. Mike K

Mike K Member

Curiously, do you base that price on opinion or historical sales? I see absolutely nothing to suggest that 85s are selling for that little. I feel like if I put the car up for $46,000 people would be beating down my door.

I mean if that's what it is that's what it is but I'd like to see data to back that price up and by my own research I'm just not seeing it. I'm open to being wrong though.

11. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

12. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

13. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

14. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

I think you are absolutely correct if you post it on Craigslist and Autotrader for $52K then you'll be in the "driver's seat" for a sale. Steer clear of posting here as I think people are more aware of what's happening with CPO prices and the newer options here than elsewhere. Sorry for all the bad car puns....

15. CapeOne

CapeOne Member

There have been a number of recent S 85 eBay sales ranging (not counting salvage/rebuilt cars) from $43.5K to $53.6K. A 2013 S P85 with 16K miles also sold for just $50K.

Additionally, a member of this forum was recently offering an S 85 with 43K miles for $50K but I’m not sure what it actually sold for.

16. ecarfan

You guys have convinced me: my estimate posted upthread was high. There are some great deals on 2013 85s for around $50 or less. Good to see happy new owners getting their first Teslas in that price range.

17. No2DinosaurFuel

Should definitely be under $50K. More closer low $40K since it's A battery and earlier VIN with more issues. Non-CPO pushes the price even further because chances are the owners will not refurb the car before selling and the car will not the CPO warranty. Unless of course the car has Extended Service Agreement. Look at the history of sold CPO S85. Ev-CPO.com will have the price history, but you have to pay to get it.

18. xav-

xav- Member

#18 xav-, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Are all CPOs listed on teslas website? I don't see many cars listed at the moment.

Also, the CPOs i saw on teslas website were added 6 months ago (especially the old S60). Isnt the price highly negotiable?

19. Boourns

Boourns Member

I'd say mid to high $40s, though many private sale listings seem to be higher that is warranted, IMO. I would probably list it for like $49 and see what happens.

No and No. You can't see all the official CPO's Tesla website without clicking through each city one by one. To see those, it's better to use a consolidator website like ev-cpo.com or teslainventory.com. What's more, there are lots of CPO cars not listed on the Tesla site at all. To find out about those, you have to contact a CPO adviser.

Price is not negotiable on CPOs.

20. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

My 1 week new to me CPO with the same options and mileage as your car with the B battery pack (less the UHFS) and in Black over Tan Leather.

I am in no way looking to sell my car (maybe buy a 2nd one for my wife) but if someone wanted to pay mid 50's I'd seriously consider it b/c everything is for sale :)