Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's say thanks: Pizza for the factory employees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It certainly looked that way - everywhere we went, on both floors was used and busy. Also, that is what I was told, by someone who knows.

I was wondering exactly where the 3 would be built myself, but it was never appropriate to ask. Remember, though that even though they are building out the space they are nowhere near full throughput yet.

It certainly looked that way - everywhere we went, on both floors was used and busy. Also, that is what I was told, by someone who knows.
t.

That was probably the one or two buildings out of 10+ on the campus that they're actually using. There is a map of the complex of which buildings they are using and for what function. It appeared that only 20% of the entire facility was occupied.

I remember the conversation somewhat differently (though we talked to so many people, could have conflicting information). We were talking about the changes from NUMMI with the manufacturing designer, Gilbert Passin (such an honor!) and while the areas that we saw were dark in the past are now part of the current manufacturing process, when I said 'plenty of room to expand yet', he laughed and agreed there was plenty of room yet to expand.

We got to see some special stuff - to go 'upstairs' and see production of many of the component pieces, plus see how the factory had matured. I was there a year ago and it was 25% utilized - today it is nearing 100%

Richard, glad to hear that you so enjoyed the factory tour and even got to see some typically "off limits" areas, but I am pretty sure that the Fremont factory is nowhere near at 100% capacity. My understanding is that claimed capacity is 500,000 cars/year. Currently it is running at a fraction of that even with the new production line in place.

I really don't want to keep laboring the point - I asked a very senior person (not Gilbert) 'what percentage of the factory was utilized' and he said 'essentially 100%' - now maybe he was referring to the upper floor only and I (or he) misunderstood the exchange - and clearly the factory is nowhere near capacity - rather the large 'black holes' have now all gone. Working with all the space does not imply that it is unable to be more efficient - just that the space is now 'allocated'

What I really wanted to get across was just how gracious the Tesla people were, as well as how many piles of boxes accumulate from all those pizzas :tongue:

Just to add a note about Tesla production vs the old NUMMI numbers, the Tesla guide we had a while back had also pointed out that NUMMI was fed by lots of other facilities too, whereas with Tesla much more of the work is done in the single facility. So you wouldn't really expect Tesla to be able to do the same numbers, even when build out, since so much subassembly was done outside of NUMMI to reach those final assembly numbers.
Back to the pizza :)

It's really cool Tesla did this, and that TMC folks started and ran with it - especially those of you lucky and dedicated enough to represent us for the factory.
I brought home made cookies and a few dozen doughnuts for my service center when I picked up my car, but I'm glad the folks in the factory got some of the recognition they deserve for working their butts off to make things happen.

A couple of folks have asked, here is a very rough first cut at the banner layout. I will probably spend a some more time on it tomorrow. If you want in, instructions are in posts #160 and #176. I am waiting of the final TMC artwork (hint, hint) and the final count of signatures/sig images to finalize layout.

banner.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of folks have asked, here is a very rough first cut at the banner layout. I will probably spend a some more time on it tomorrow. If you want in, instructions are in posts #160 and #176. I am waiting of the final TMC artwork (hint, hint) and the final count of signatures/sig images to finalize layout.

View attachment 67519

I've asked TMC administration to send you the artwork you requested.

^^^That

A couple of folks had pinged me off-line as to what a banner might look like. I'll start working on real layout in the next day or so, but basically want to get across the main points: horizontal banner, Tesla logo, TMC logo, main message that is easily seen from a distance and a collection of names and VINs. The actual treatment for the names/VINs is going to depend on how many I get.

Hope that helps,

O

I've asked TMC administration to send you the artwork you requested.
Looks great...

If it gets delivered by Dec. 31 but if not can we get a 2015 banner?

Will it have a next gen logo or will it get the old logo until the new one is ready then we can send someone there to swap it?

Can an it be heated or only if delivered in 2015?

Forget it... I'm done with this. I'm cancelling my involvement and will go on the next banner!

Just kidding of course - great thing you're doing here!