Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's say thanks: Pizza for the factory employees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree there are definitely issues with the selection process. But there are also issues with the selection process in choosing one charity over another, and any of those more established charities are further removed from our original goal of doing something for the Tesla employees.

Another possibility might be to use the money to establish a scholarship fund for children of Tesla employees. We'd have plenty of time later to work out the details of how scholarships are to be awarded. One benefit of the scholarship fund is that we could add to it each year. So every year, at this time, funds could be collected tor the scholarship fund.

Maybe this too is more complicated than anyone wants to get right now. Just a thought.

I thought of this as well, but I think we would have to raise significantly more $ to be meaningful and self sustaining. However, I bet tesla would match us with this idea. Honestly, I think we, like most things around here, are over thinking it. KISS, keep it simple, stupid.

Hello. First time poster, long time lurker.

This thread caught my attention. I really think this is such an outlandish idea, and borderline crazy. I am all for the Holiday spirit and generosity, but, really? Pizza's for 4,000 workers in a company with an almost $30 Billion dollar market cap? I am sure these guys got quite the Christmas bonus's this year, and a great company sponsored holiday party that 99% of the rest of the country would love to have.

These people are paid generous wages to do their jobs. They are able to provide for their family and enjoy a quality of a life many people in this world do not have the luxury to do. Tesla workers are building 6 figure luxury sedan's for the privileged few who can afford them.

I hope I do not come off as insensitive. I just can't believe what I read here, and am glad Tesla is not willing for this to move forward. I couldn't help but to think how crazy it was some people were donating $100, $200, even $500 for pizzas for Tesla employees, which would barely allow 1 slice per person, but I digress.

Take this money and donate it to a charity that supports less privileged and poor families who have nothing for Christmas. Take this money and give it to a charity. This thread is absurd, sorry. If you want to donate $100, go right now and do it- you shouldn't need to coordinate on a Tesla Motors enthusiast website to make that happen.

Anyway, I think its great anytime people collaborate for a good cause, but this- is embarrassing to me as a Tesla owner, sorry. What next, Apple fan's getting together to ship $250,000 in Pizza's to Foxconn workers in China?

Facebook users getting together to ship Pizza to Facebook programmers in the Bay area?

Please, let this thread die.

/rant off

Saying 'thank you' is never inappropriate, regardless of how much people are paid or how little other people do not. You sound as if giving in one area is mutually exclusive to giving in other areas, and it is not. People willing to give are typically willing to give in multiple areas.

One thing I learned in running quality at large organizations ... when those on the manufacturing floor feel appreciated by the people using the products they build, they feel like it's more than just a job. It matters for anyone, in any job, to feel that what they do matters. Don't join in if you don't want to. But to lecture people about wanting to give really is inappropriate.

You must forgive me for brevity ... I just got back from four hours of volunteering at a local school for at-risk foster teens. I'm not about to listen to a lecture about how inappropriate it is to say thanks. To anyone.

To be fair, I think kris's rant (his words, not mine) does have some merit. In the back of my mind I've been thinking about other, perhaps more in need causes. But Bonnie's statement is spot on. I can only speak for myself, but I give to many charitable causes. If I only had $10 to give, I would give it to a more noble cause. But thankfully (and this is why I give), I've been very lucky, and can afford to give to charities that I believe in AND do something nice for Tesla employees who have enriched mine.

It also somewhat moot, because at this point Tesla is paying for the pizza. The only we're doing is writing a letter and a few of us are going to state our appreciation in person.

I thought of this as well, but I think we would have to raise significantly more $ to be meaningful and self sustaining. However, I bet tesla would match us with this idea. Honestly, I think we, like most things around here, are over thinking it. KISS, keep it simple, stupid.

This is definitely your rodeo, Andrew, and if you want to KISS, of course that's your call. But I'll just make one point on the self-sustaining issue, as I also thought of that, and realized, of course, that we would need to raise a heck of a lot more money for this to be self-sustaining. The point I want to make is that there is no compelling reason that the scholarship fund needs to be self-sustaining. No one is going to be counting on this scholarship for their ability to go to college. In any given year we can give out whatever we raise in scholarship funds--no more and no less. If Tesla saw fit to match the funds, all the better. If this year we gave out two or three thousand dollars in scholarships, and then it never happened again, that's still better than if it never happened at all.

I was never suggesting the kind of scholarship fund where the principal remains in tact and we pay out scholarships from the interest. We clearly would not have funds for that.

Naturally I defer to you, but I didn't want the lack of sustainability to be the sticking point.

This is definitely your rodeo, Andrew, and if you want to KISS, of course that's your call. But I'll just make one point on the self-sustaining issue, as I also thought of that, and realized, of course, that we would need to raise a heck of a lot more money for this to be self-sustaining. The point I want to make is that there is no compelling reason that the scholarship fund needs to be self-sustaining. No one is going to be counting on this scholarship for their ability to go to college. In any given year we can give out whatever we raise in scholarship funds--no more and no less. If Tesla saw fit to match the funds, all the better. If this year we gave out two or three thousand dollars in scholarships, and then it never happened again, that's still better than if it never happened at all.

I was never suggesting the kind of scholarship fund where the principal remains in tact and we pay out scholarships from the interest. We clearly would not have funds for that.

Naturally I defer to you, but I didn't want the lack of sustainability to be the sticking point.

We can fund it with TSLA stock. It should be naturally self sustaining ... right? :)

+1 on Bonnie's comment that it is never inappropriate to thank someone for doing a job well.
As a TSLA owner who thinks they are all doing an awesome job and as a TMC member who is pulling for everyone hoping to get their P85D this year (even though that model obsoleted my, um.. Now classic limited edition P85), I think this great.
I second the motion on letting Andrew and Bonnie pick the funding destination, just please let the rest of us know where to contribute. And it sounds like a banner would be cool, and even if we don't do that, sending cards would also be in order. Since I don't even know if my DS is still at Tesla, and since I want to thank the factory floor heroes, address please? They might enjoy opening some personal holiday cards while they eat some pizza :)

OK. So, should we send our 'thank you' notes to one of you to be delivered 'en mass'? Then fund a banner and with the remaining funds donated to a local charity?

I'm happy to collect thank you notes. You can either send the note to me (as an attachment) and I'll print, or pm me for my address. (Those of you who attended last year's PartyAtPicnicCreek have it already.)

I'd be interested in attending in person. I'll be in NorCal that day, anyway. Not sure if this is open to everyone who wants to go, or if you just need a few volunteers. I might need a ride from/to the train station, though. (My car will be back home in San Diego.)

Hello. First time poster, long time lurker.

This thread caught my attention. I really think this is such an outlandish idea, and borderline crazy. I am all for the Holiday spirit and generosity, but, really? Pizza's for 4,000 workers in a company with an almost $30 Billion dollar market cap? I am sure these guys got quite the Christmas bonus's this year, and a great company sponsored holiday party that 99% of the rest of the country would love to have.

These people are paid generous wages to do their jobs. They are able to provide for their family and enjoy a quality of a life many people in this world do not have the luxury to do. Tesla workers are building 6 figure luxury sedan's for the privileged few who can afford them.

I hope I do not come off as insensitive. I just can't believe what I read here, and am glad Tesla is not willing for this to move forward. I couldn't help but to think how crazy it was some people were donating $100, $200, even $500 for pizzas for Tesla employees, which would barely allow 1 slice per person, but I digress.

Take this money and donate it to a charity that supports less privileged and poor families who have nothing for Christmas. Take this money and give it to a charity. This thread is absurd, sorry. If you want to donate $100, go right now and do it- you shouldn't need to coordinate on a Tesla Motors enthusiast website to make that happen.

Anyway, I think its great anytime people collaborate for a good cause, but this- is embarrassing to me as a Tesla owner, sorry. What next, Apple fan's getting together to ship $250,000 in Pizza's to Foxconn workers in China?

Facebook users getting together to ship Pizza to Facebook programmers in the Bay area?

Please, let this thread die.

/rant off

Hi krisg81,

True, their current task is to build an expensive sedan but we all know the Model S was/is a necessary stepping stone to the mass market EV that will likely catalyze a change in the world's fossil fuel consumption. They are hard-working engineers and folks looking to change the world for the better.

Just because it's not visible nor obvious doesn't mean the folks aren't making personal sacrifices behind the scenes to help push this dream forward. For equal effort, I think many of them could likely be earning more money elsewhere if that was their only priority. In their shoes, I think it's incredibly motivating to see that the work they do is important enough that there are communities that will go out of their way to show support.

I give small amounts to many charities each year and one even comes straight out of my paycheque. I'm sure some of the folks at Tesla make more than me and I can't comfortably afford a Model S yet, but I'm definitely in for contributing to this token of appreciation.

It's fine if you don't agree with this, but it's a little pompous to suggest where I should be sending my hard earned dollars.

Time for an update.

I have drafted a letter of appreciation on behalf of all tesla customers (can't say TMC because technically TMC is incorporated, and I *don't* represent TMC.) Stevezzz was kind of enough to play copy editor, and I think it's in good shape. I sent a copy to Jerome, just to make sure there wasn't anything in the letter that he wouldn't want said to the entire company. Once I have his comments, I'll share it with the group here. Having said that, I really don't want to go 30 rounds of edits. Too many cooks and all that.

I hope to hear more on the scheduling of the event tomorrow.

Andrew

I have a handful of thank you letters coming to my house & plan on reading both Andrew's letter and a few of the other notes at the event. There is still time to get it to me in the mail (just pm for address), or, just send it to me via pm & I'll print and bring along.

Really great job getting this going, Andrew - and really great on all your part to make this happen. Can't wait to report back!

Time for an update.

I have drafted a letter of appreciation on behalf of all tesla customers (can't say TMC because technically TMC is incorporated, and I *don't* represent TMC.) Stevezzz was kind of enough to play copy editor, and I think it's in good shape. I sent a copy to Jerome, just to make sure there wasn't anything in the letter that he wouldn't want said to the entire company. Once I have his comments, I'll share it with the group here. Having said that, I really don't want to go 30 rounds of edits. Too many cooks and all that.

I hope to hear more on the scheduling of the event tomorrow.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew.

"Tesla Customers" seems overly broad. I understand you can't say TMC, for the reason you explained, but could you say TMC forum users? Failing that, could you say the more generic "Tesla internet forum users", which is still more specific than just "Tesla Customers."

Just some thoughts.

Last edited: