Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's See Your Charging Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have their chargers outside their homes, do you have problems with strangers coming to use your charger when you are not home? I ask because my friend has that problem sometimes.
Unless it was done by a family member, friend or neighbor by prior agreement it would be trespassing and petty theft of electricity. It would as if someone parked in your driveway without your consent and used your water to wash their vehicle.

Reactions: silverstoned83
For those that have their chargers outside their homes, do you have problems with strangers coming to use your charger when you are not home? I ask because my friend has that problem sometimes.

Personally, I would only install a charger outside if it were capable of restricting access, especially if it’s connected to my electric meter. The Juicebox, for example, is able to be setup to use a PIN through the app. I haven’t tested this feature, but I know it can do it. We’ve had water stolen, which added up quickly, and I see an EV charger being exposed to the same problem.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just put a smile your on camera sticker close by and install a wireless Arlo camera. Should keep them at bay. Cool thing about Arlo is it will notify you via email as soon as someone is in its field of vision and you can talk to them via your phone. Tell them they have 10 seconds to vacate or the cops will show up or your friend mr Smith Wesson is on his way. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The Tesla Mobile Connector and Wall Connector do not have a way to physically lock the charging connector so it can't be plugged into the Tesla vehicle. Some EVSE manufacturers, i.e. ClipperCreek include a small padlock with the EVSE. The padlock can be attached to the J1772 charging connector handle so that the J1772 connector cannot be unplugged from the vehicle or connected to a vehicle without first removing the padlock.

F2BD67E1-C226-4047-968E-74BB6A08A8F1.jpeg
D8BF0ED6-1469-4049-BE52-CADB5BFE42F4.jpeg

Not the sexiest install, but we have two signature wall connectors sharing a 50 amp circuit mounted to the post and a JuiceBox Pro 40 on a 30 amp circuit mounted to the ceiling.

A keen eye will also spot a Clipper Creek 16 amp unit behind the bushes. It shares the dryer circuit via a Dryer Buddy and a heavy gauge extension cord.

F00930AD-9932-4E6D-ADC4-14A4BA6F9519.jpeg
A2302682-D400-495C-9074-554DC46C5B36.jpeg

It is trespassing. It’s just so random that I wonder if it happens to other people.
I think it depends where it is installed. I live in a city with the lawn strip between the street and sidewalk. I walk my neighborhood and at one house they have a wall charger installed on a post in this area of "their" yard. Since technically that is city land I wonder if it would be legal for any Tesla to park there and juice up? I would think to get the permit to install their charger there at all they may have had to apply for some special type of permit since it isn't technically their land.

Anyway not much help but just curious if anyone knows whether it is legal for someone to use a charger in that situation?

I think it depends where it is installed. I live in a city with the lawn strip between the street and sidewalk. I walk my neighborhood and at one house they have a wall charger installed on a post in this area of "their" yard. Since technically that is city land I wonder if it would be legal for any Tesla to park there and juice up? I would think to get the permit to install their charger there at all they may have had to apply for some special type of permit since it isn't technically their land.

Anyway not much help but just curious if anyone knows whether it is legal for someone to use a charger in that situation?

I thought generally that strip was owned by the homeowner but with a utility easement for the city? In that case, I'd bet that there's nothing wrong with the installation, though it is a strange choice to put it there.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I thought generally that strip was owned by the homeowner but with a utility easement for the city? In that case, I'd bet that there's nothing wrong with the installation, though it is a strange choice to put it there.

Oh I could be wrong, I'm not really sure how that strip works haha. Maybe the homeowner does own it but there are easements for the city.

I think it's because it's cheaper to install a post with charger than a whole new garage if someone doesn't already have one.

Not the sexiest install, but we have two signature wall connectors sharing a 50 amp circuit mounted to the post and a JuiceBox Pro 40 on a 30 amp circuit mounted to the ceiling.

A keen eye will also spot a Clipper Creek 16 amp unit behind the bushes. It shares the dryer circuit via a Dryer Buddy and a heavy gauge extension cord.

View attachment 628675 View attachment 628676

Nice. I lived in Springfield 4 years. I remember moving there that a 1 car garage was a luxury at my price point. Many hard car ports. Was hard to find garages!

Reactions: Big Earl