Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's see your Vinyl-wrapped/Plasti-dipped/Painted Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see pics from everyone who wrapped/dipped/painted their Model S :)

Here's my vinyl wrap, Avery Brilliant Blue Matte Metallic with Milky Way for the nosecone. I wasted $600 trying to wrap the inside trim with milky way too but the matte obeche wood grain showed through so had to take it off; get piano black if wrapping inside. I also might wrap my winter wheels that I'm putting in next week since they are flat (TSW Rivage), probably the same blue color & if it looks good may switch my all season wheels when warm again so i can wrap that too.

For me regarding the wrap choices: Regular matte (i.e. not matte metallic) is more boring and heard it was harder to clean. Chrome is too flashy and doesn't last as long, plus is almost like camouflage & might cause accidents. Satin or Gloss is too much like a normal car paint and doesn't feel special to me, plus with light shining on the dark blue base color it just looked black due to reflection; I love how the matte metallic shines a little but diffuses light to fully see the color all around. I love blue and the Brilliant blue from Avery stood out more in certain light (not as boring/unnoticeable as other colors) while being a little cheaper than 3M, the other top brand I considered. If I were to try any other style/color it would probably be Blue Brushed Steel (or variation of that name).

A dark base color is best so that the gaps and unwrapped areas aren't very visible; if you plan to wrap just choose black so can save the $1,500 paint upgrade to uss toward wrapping. For me its worth it to protect the paint (which I heard gets chipped easily) and I love the color (might help with resale too since its more unique, or I can take off the wrap and it'll be perfect condition paint).

Price can widely vary depending on quality & amount of work, I have heard some pay up to $10K but I paid the lower end about $3,000 because I didn't get a warranty and didn't have them take off many parts to wrap fully (e.g. didn't wrap the side/bottom inside the doors or the sides of the inside of the trunk). When road debris damaged my fender and bumper, insurance covered the repaired dent/scratch and replacement of the wrap for those panels.

Painting your car I think would be over $10K and not worth it given no extra protection. Plastidip is much cheaper (kind of like spray painting that can be peeled off later) but also not nearly as durable, might last a few months rather than 5 years.

I pay a mobile carwash to use Meguiar's Ultimate (safe for vinyl wrap) Detailer every 2-3 months (along with full wash/detail for $150) and the Wash&Wax and Quik Wax every 2-4 weeks for $20, if some things aren't cleaned quickly (e.g. acid from bird droppings or bug guts or salt in the winter) it isnt good for the wrap so i also spot clean in between.

IMG952221-1.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

10854998_10102799046954429_9077626288275561276_o.jpg

Screenshot_2015-04-01-10-51-25-1.png

Screenshot_2015-04-01-10-51-16-1.png

WrapCareBucket.jpg

RIVAGE SILVER.jpg

Last edited:
What was the original color?

Can you please do something nobody does with wrapped cars? Can you post a pic or three of what the door jams look like with the doors open, as well as the back hatch? I'm |--| close to getting a wrap, but really want to see what the transitions look like.

thanks!

Looks awesome. In addition to previous questions/requests, what was the cost also, if you don't mind? That would help others considering. My plan is to wrap our X.

When planning for a wrap, what color is best for base? White? Black? Something closer too intended wrap color?

What was the original color?

Can you please do something nobody does with wrapped cars? Can you post a pic or three of what the door jams look like with the doors open, as well as the back hatch? I'm |--| close to getting a wrap, but really want to see what the transitions look like.

thanks!

I didn't have them wrap inside the doors (i think they quoted another $1-2K for that) but its hardly noticeable since the pane between the windows is also dark and kind of flows down in the door.

1101151339.jpg

Last edited:
Love what everyone's done... Do these wraps protect the paint completely as if you have Xpel/Sungard on or do you do that on top of the wrap?

The wrap does protect the paint a little (e.g. resistant to key scratches & doors hitting it) but at highway speed little rocks can still scratch or in rare cases penetrate it, my hood wrap had some little knicks (didn't go thru so paint was okay) due to rocks but figure thats easier to just replace the wrap on the hood after awhile than to get the paint repaired! I think if you got xpel/sunguard on top of the wrap (those are self healing right?) that'd be even better, not sure if it is okay to have that over wrap tho.

How do you go about finding a reputable and good company to wrap the car? There seems to be quite a few when I do an Internet search for companies in my area. What kind of things should you expect from them in terms of service (in addition to doing a great job with the wrap)?

Last edited: