Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's sum up the good things about V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Media control from (backseat) phone.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with this one. I have to hand the passenger my phone or give them the userID/password for my Tesla account. And then the control goes over the cellular network with a long delay.

Passengers could always connect via Bluetooth to play music from their phone.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with this one. I have to hand the passenger my phone or give them the userID/password for my Tesla account. And then the control goes over the cellular network with a long delay.

What they were thinking is what else can we do with our time to avoid implementing apple car play which is actually what we've been waiting for for 3 years.

"...If I liked Model 3's layout today, its full-time map(?), etc., I do not feel comfortable with what it could be in 24 months."
What goes around, comes around.

..not with flexibility. With older model S firmware you had the option to always keep map, or anything, where you wanted. If the we aim to maintain or expand the flexibility, all will be unhappy. - even those that drive with rear camera on so they can dream about the past anytime they wish.

Here's a quasi-good thing -- a feature that seemed to have been deleted but is actually still present although very hard to find. In version 8 and 8.1, the automatic function of each area in the climate-control panel could be turned off and on individually (or all at once if preferred). In version 9, if one manually turns off the AC (to conserve energy and range), the fan speed stays on whatever it was running when the AC was turned off. There is no way to enable automatic fan speed with AC off. I still think that's a glaring flaw in the new interface, but it was pointed out to me in a different thread if one uses the Menu to select Fan as the function of the right scroll wheel, then pressing the scroll wheel will set fan speed to automatic, and it stays automatic if the function of the scroll wheel is then switched back to adjusting the temperature. This option is NOT described in the only owners manuals that we've had so far.
(As I understand it, in the Model 3, there is still no way under the sun to regain automatic fan-speed control if the AC is turned off manually, possibly making the Tesla Model 3 the first car since the invention of automatic climate controls to lack this feature.)

My passengers can control the media and anything else on the console using a wireless mouse I hand to them. Wireless dongle plugged in the USB port. I use them as voice control servants, to do anything by asking rather than me having to even look at the console.

• Funny
Reactions: RayW
I think its hard to separate the UI from the "Under The Hood" improvements. The UI Sucks. Plain and Simple.
The Driving Dynamics feel more refined to me. Tighter, more control. Autopilot feels more confident.

I hate the UI. Especially the Camera and forced NAV taking up half the screen.

-->I do like the new Car Controls UI. Including the shortcuts.

v9 comes down to the lack of two apps, AND THE CAMERA AT THE BOTTOM for me. so- FAIL.

Apparently, UI designers value the music more than the Camera.
Heck when sitting at a multi desk "Creative Workspace" with headphones on, not talking to anyone and NOT DRIVING, Media/music does seem more important than a camera that shows cars traveling 60+ mph past you or up on you as you make a lane change. $%^&*()!!

WHAT HAPPENED TO UI DESIGNERS!

USE THE SYSTEM AS IF YOU NEVER HAVE BEFORE!
AND TEST IT WITH PEOPLE THAT DON"T KNOW SHORTCUTS, SWIPES, EASTER EGGS ETC. DESIGN
FOR YOUR PARENTS! UGH!

v9 driving - well done.
v9 UI - FAIL.

V9 is horrible. Worse layout, worse graphics. Can't move nav screen.

More controls on the bottom I guess if you have short arms....

Can we roll back?
Agree. This is the worst update they've ever done. The UI designer(s) should be fired. Would roll back if that were an option.

The only positive in my AP1 car is the intermittent wiper action is a little smoother. From what I've read, it's still bad in AP2 cars.

So much nav hate. I feel sorry for poor nav. She helps me look ahead. She warns me of traffic slowdowns on roads I know well and travel regularly. I love to see her topdown view of my moving world.

I do not like rear cam. He makes me dizzy. He annoys my wife. He only shows me where I've been. He shows me less than my mirrors show. I only like him when I am moving in reverse and rear cam shows where I'm going.

I very much like V9. Alas, some vehemently do not.

The only positive in my AP1 car is the intermittent wiper action is a little smoother. From what I've read, it's still bad in AP2 cars.

I thought AP1 wipers always worked well because they use a $3 rain sensor like every other manufacturer.
AP2 cars use the world’s most advance $60M neural net to process video images in a futile attempt to detect rain drops :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
So much nav hate. I feel sorry for poor nav. She helps me look ahead. She warns me of traffic slowdowns on roads I know well and travel regularly. I love to see her topdown view of my moving world.

I do not like rear cam. He makes me dizzy. He annoys my wife. He only shows me where I've been. He shows me less than my mirrors show. I only like him when I am moving in reverse and rear cam shows where I'm going.

I very much like V9. Alas, some vehemently do not.
What people hate, isn't the nav app, per se. What we hate is the reduced lack of choice from before.

I thought AP1 wipers always worked well because they use a $3 rain sensor like every other manufacturer.
AP2 cars use the world’s most advance $60M neural net to process video images in a futile attempt to detect rain drops :rolleyes:
Yeah, lol. That is one of the three "advantages" we still have with AP1 over AP2 cars... the others are no phantom braking, and speed sign detection.

I do like the new ability to shrink the media player interface. But wish it would remember the size if you toggle it on and off. It does on the Model 3 but not on the S and X for some reason.

Atari games are fun.

I like the redesigned layout of settings.

Ok, I ran out of good things to say. lol

But on a more serious note, I would bet money that v9.1 will reinstate the ability to have multiple apps open and user positioning of the apps on top or bottom. I think the feedback about that has been pretty clear.

Reactions: RayW