Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's Talk about PPF.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never done it, but I've seen the aftermath on 3s and now Ys where there tends to be high impact areas on the passenger doors, just before the rear wheels as well as areas behind the front wheels.

I've gotten quotes for full PPF (and ceramic) and it's not cheap, but I'm willing to do it. The question I have (and I've asked the installers), is if you should just cover the areas that are impacted vs. doing the whole care or a whole panel. Now, I recognize there will be seams if you don't cover the whole panel so you can tuck the PPF between the panel gaps, but there's a cost associated to doing a whole panel or an entire car vs. high impact areas. I'm guessing that over time a section that is PPF'ed, dirt will accumulate against the seams, etc.

Like I mentioned, I have never PPF'ed any of my cars, but I've never seen a car like Tesla be prone to certain areas being sandblasted (rocker panels, primarily).

I've read that most are protecting the front end of the car, which makes sense but I don't hear a lot about the rocker panels and sides of the cars as being a concern. Or I see others are going full PPF, which then you're covered. What's the "right play" here?

Willing to do full PFF, but just don't tell my wife.

• Funny
Reactions: Prdmommyof3
+1 to talking to the installers. You are doing it right. Most ask about price first. You want to hear from them how they plan on doing your job. Setting expectations and asking questions are the best way to go about having PPF applied to your car.

Whole car vs. panels? I think you answered the question yourself. I drive more than average. I went with everything, because I wanted to think about nothing.

My wife is the first person I told on both our cars. She doesn't have to hear a word out of me. Yet she still parks in the back 40.