Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk about privacy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla devices have the potential to collect an unprecedented amount of information, but I have not been able to find much info about privacy restrictions. I am curious about vehicles (I have a MYLR on order) and Powerwall. Clearly there are limitations when it comes to navigation and FSD and Tesla's insurance product. Outside of these, I am intent on keeping as much data as possible ephemeral or only stored on device.

What settings have you configured to opt out of data sharing and phoning home to Tesla servers?

What other neat solutions (like DNS filtering) have you found to work?

How does this work with updates and warranty?

If this is a concern for you, you should opt out of buying the car (seriously). You will not be able to block any reasonable amount of data going to tesla, and still use the products the way they are described. Get some other companies battery product (there are others who make home batteries or DIY your own if you are into that) and dont bother with the car.

Privacy is an illusion now anyway. E-ZPass, traffic cameras, ISP data, analytics data collected by companies you do business with, etc... And that doesn't even include social media or big brother conspiracy theories. But if you really can avoid all of those then jjrandorin (who is a voice of reason here, not someone with an axe to grind) is right.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54