Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk about range and driving style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure there must be some thread about this topic, but i guess micro scaling this issue into local HK driving will help each other out a bit.

With 1500 km on the clock, i would say it has been impossible for me to reach 400km of range, even with a full charge.

I have been trying to save energy by turning on range mode and keeping my step as light and as smooth as possible. I also tried not to accelerate hard by keeping the output under 400wh. However, the avg consumption is still 25x wh. Even though i haven't ran the battery completely dead, and the lowest topical rating i saw on the dash was 50. I assume my Max range is 300 km with a fully charged bettery.

In the next 1000km i will try a different approach, which is accelerate the car harder getting on highway so i can reach my desire speed and let it cruise as soon as possible.

So, whats your input?

I've done mostly city driving with heavy right foot and a bit of peak hours jam, averaged 276Wh/km, but I think normal city driving in HK should yield 250Wh/km. ie each kWh runs 4km

Standard charge is 90% so my pack got 76.5kWh to start with. My habit is to charge the car when range drops to 100km, ie 100/4 = 25kWh as "reserve"

So in reality my battery pack is 76.5-25= 51.5kWh, which gives 206km range. If charging it at 220v32A=7kW that would be 7.35hrs (an overnight charge)

If I drive 100km everyday, which means I need to plug in overnight every other day. :smile:

Absolutely no problem if I have a home charger, or else I need to find a carpark near my office with 32A or super charger.

See this thread here

Energy usage spike in traffic

If you want your w/km to go down, you need to keep the speed closer to 30-50 km/h. Especially here in the summer where A/C is probably running with a high load. As mentioned in that thread ^ as your speed closes in on 0 km/h, any power use will have exponential effect on your range. The many hills in HK isn't helping a lot either.

Do you use the brakes a lot, or mainly regen? There are many ways to "burn calories" here, and regen is only up to 80% efficient.

See this thread here

Energy usage spike in traffic

If you want your w/km to go down, you need to keep the speed closer to 30-50 km/h. Especially here in the summer where A/C is probably running with a high load. As mentioned in that thread ^ as your speed closes in on 0 km/h, any power use will have exponential effect on your range. The many hills in HK isn't helping a lot either.

Do you use the brakes a lot, or mainly regen? There are many ways to "burn calories" here, and regen is only up to 80% efficient.

I've tried Standard Regen downhill, but way to slow (around 20km/h) and I always get high beamed

Switch back to Low Regen is more natural.

For day to day city commute (occasional jam) I normally average 260-280Wh/km with 21.5-22.5'C air-con speed 3-5, internet radio on. Charge my mobile phone too if it's low on juice.

Last couple days I managed 190-210 Wh/km, but mostly highway with a lot of cruise control.

Has anyone of you got into a traffic jam so far? I want to know which way to drive is better, creep mode or normal in this situation if the car is moving like, a yard every minute. Which way is safer?

Creep is more convenient to me, coz you only need to put your foot on one pedal which is the brake.

A few times I had to max it out and got 76.5 kWh out of the battery starting with a 100% charge on my 85. When I arrived at empty I had driven 255 miles or 408 km. It was mostly driving around 60 mph or around 95 km/h and I ran the AC the entire time. It's 300 Wh/m or 188 Wh/km. I think that's the usage that Tesla is using in the US as 'rated miles'. In my experience it's actually realistic. My lifetime average is pretty much exactly there.
Stop and go traffic definitely has a negative effect on range. My normal driving has traffic but almost never stop and go. It always moves.