Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk about weight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're all constantly bitching about how much the dual-motor TM3 weighs, but can anybody think of a car of similar performance with AWD that weighs substantially less? I'm not saying it's OK because I personally won't be happy until Tesla releases an E46-sized car of TM3 capability that comes in @ <3,300 lbs. fight me irl

I drove an M2 Competition the other day & it's 3,600 lbs. Lengthen it by 9", add two extra doors, AWD, and I bet you it'd clock in at about the same.

Please don't say WRX.

High powered AWD cars, I don't think there's many. Those type of cars are usually from luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes, or Audi which typically are heavy.

Tuned STI then? :D My son's car doesn't pull quite as much as mine but I bet that with more money sunk into it, it would. And it handles better than mine, and is a real contender in snow too. I still prefer my M3 but...
Hah! I wanted to get a WRX or STI so bad. The amount of money you need to spend on mods to get it to Model 3 level, you could have just bought a new Model 3 with warranty. I only owned 1 car I heavily modified and after that I decided that it's better just to spend the money and buy a faster car. Less headache, less stranded lol

Tuned STI then? :D My son's car doesn't pull quite as much as mine but I bet that with more money sunk into it, it would. And it handles better than mine, and is a real contender in snow too. I still prefer my M3 but...

Hah! I wanted to get a WRX or STI so bad. The amount of money you need to spend on mods to get it to Model 3 level, you could have just bought a new Model 3 with warranty. I only owned 1 car I heavily modified and after that I decided that it's better just to spend the money and buy a faster car. Less headache, less stranded lol

Truth. You'd be shredding engines and transmissions left & right putting down enough power to come anywhere close to a P3D in a WRX/STI (possibly even a standard dual motor). I drove an STI prior to buying my P3D- and was completely unimpressed. And the fact that they're still using the 18th century EJ25 is totally inexcusable.

I think it is important to consider this - if you removed the drivetrain from the AWD, Sedan, ICE, and the drivetrain from the Model 3 DM - which is heavier?

The answer is the ICE - and not by a small amount. The G80 engine weighs roughly 500lbs, and the transmission about 150lbs. Maybe tack on another 100lbs or so for the driveshaft and rear diff. The Model 3 HV Pack is about 1,000lbs, and both motors are around 200-250lbs each. So, if we are comparing "apples to apples", both without their drivetrain, Tesla has actually done an incredibly impressive job with keeping the weight down.

I mean just look at the Mach-E - it's over 500lbs heavier in the same dual motor configuration as the Model Y, yet is smaller.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think it is important to consider this - if you removed the drivetrain from the AWD, Sedan, ICE, and the drivetrain from the Model 3 DM - which is heavier?

The answer is the ICE - and not by a small amount. The G80 engine weighs roughly 500lbs, and the transmission about 150lbs. Maybe tack on another 100lbs or so for the driveshaft and rear diff. The Model 3 HV Pack is about 1,000lbs, and both motors are around 200-250lbs each. So, if we are comparing "apples to apples", both without their drivetrain, Tesla has actually done an incredibly impressive job with keeping the weight down.

I mean just look at the Mach-E - it's over 500lbs heavier in the same dual motor configuration as the Model Y, yet is smaller.

I also learned today that the VW ID4 RWD is 4,559lbs - (~150lbs heavier than the DM Y) - and also smaller than the Y.

Tesla is doing pretty well in the weight game. The (short-lived) SR Model Y was under 4,000lbs!

Reactions: Massive Attack
You'd have to fully frame the narrative - are people bemoaning that the Model 3 is heavy for its class (electric, performance, mid sized etc)? or that the Model 3 is heavy, just like most modern cars are heavy?

Only when you blend the 2 can you come up with a gotcha scenario like above.

Also it depends on your definition of performance -- why people focus on weight at all. Outright accelerative performance? Transient/dynamic performance? Trackability (longevity of brakes, tires, etc)?

It is possible to make a modern car that is light weight so that it rides supple but is responsive and handles well and feels darty. The Miata and Alpine does it. But they are also small and sparse and have compromises that buyers of a 5-seater family sedan wont accept.