Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two week old MYLR with Ryzen. Every day that I get into the car to drive to work I get a slew of different alerts about various cameras being blocked or blinded. Front left fender and left pillar seem to be the biggest problem, but I occasionally get others as well. Some appear to be fogging early on in the trip. My garage is a heated 65deg. It's averaging 0-20F each morning on the way to work. I can clean the lenses and I still get these errors. Running 2021 software (no updates yet). Thoughts? Thanks guys! I'm trying to ignore it and hoping it'll just work itself out.

My hypothesis: Overnight, water vapor from relatively warm 65 deg air gets behind the camera covers or even into the camera lenses. In morning you drive in 20F weather and the cameras begin to cool causing the water vapor to condense on the various covers/lenses. Eventually the condensed water evaporates in the cool, relatively dry air. You pull into your warm garage in the evening and the cycle starts again. The condensation isn't on the outside of the camera covers (that air is cold and dry), it's on the inside (remnants of warm moister air from garage) which would explain why cleaning them wouldn't help.

Reactions: 101dals
It happens if the car has been parked outside for 8-10 hours as well. What's interesting is the camera alert will pop up for 10-30 seconds then go away. 20 minutes later it'll appear with a different camera or perhaps the same one in question. I commute ~45 minutes both ways and it occurs on every drive. Always fender and pillars. Never any of the other cameras.

It happens if the car has been parked outside for 8-10 hours as well. What's interesting is the camera alert will pop up for 10-30 seconds then go away. 20 minutes later it'll appear with a different camera or perhaps the same one in question. I commute ~45 minutes both ways and it occurs on every drive. Always fender and pillars. Never any of the other cameras.
Well, it was just a hypothesis... You can view fender cameras in the backup viewer and also if you have turn signals set to display them. Do they look fogged over when this happens?

I get that condensation inside all the side cameras too, especially on really cold days in direct sun. It's because the cameras were assembled and sealed somewhere fairly humid, and the moisture can't get out.

I've heard Tesla will replace cameras that fog up, but I'm waiting until v11 is not such a cluster before I let them touch the car, maybe combine it with a spring cleaning/brake lube, lots of salt on the roads here.

I'm receiving the same blinded/blocked errors because of condensation within the pillar cameras during/after a rain. Not sure how the cars could achieve true self driving when the cameras fog up. Service says it's normal and recommends preconditioning the cabin before driving. I'm also getting condensation in the tail lights, which service also says is normal - though I'm not sure that's accurate