Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk extended warranty for Tesla 2020 MSP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok making a decision in 2023. Either buying an extended warranty or selling the Mint 2020 MSP with only 6200 miles. I really like the car but have many to drive.

Looked at Tesla extended warranty. Expensive. $5K

Touch base with x-care. Much more reasonable. $3K

Wife just bought a 4 yr extended warranty on her GMC Denali. $1.7K

So members what is your take? Experiences? Thoughts.

Thank You for any useful info.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !!

M

Dump it. It’s already considered a “Legacy” product by Tesla. Why hang on to it when secondary market prices are high?

Also, the battery/drivetrain are the expensive items that fail most often. And they are already covered by an extended 10 year warranty.

Ok making a decision in 2023. Either buying an extended warranty or selling the Mint 2020 MSP with only 6200 miles. I really like the car but have many to drive.

M
It's up to your philosophy on the "insurance" system.

I have paid home insurance for years, but my home has never been burned down. People would say that's a waste of money, but I say it's financial security.

I would not do that for a $15 watch, but I would surely do that for something that costs around $100,000

TY for replies. Hoping to get some real world experiences also...

M

It's the same with my house that hasn't been burned down, there's nothing to file a claim, but if there's a fire, it'll be quite expensive.

My 2012 Tesla Model S was quite trouble-free until the new car warranty expired, then it got to be expensive:

$4,000 for re-manufactured MCU (17" screen and computer): Much cheaper now

$4,500 for cabin heater

$4,000 For A/C: Much cheaper now, it's only $3,800

Those above are mine, but others also might have some problems:

$4,000 Steering

$3,342 12V issues: Gasoline needs Alternator to charge the 12V battery, EV needs DC-to-DC converter.

$2,350 onboard charger

On the other hand, my 2017 Model X and past 2018 Model 3 have been trouble-free after the new car warranty.

M
You can shop around, Tesla is not the only one that provides extended warranty. X-care is another one that can and I think they offer longer terms, not sure they cover your state. I have the Tesla one, mainly for peace of mind to cover other electronics part, suspensions after factory warranty and I decide to keep mine for long.

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that Tesla is the only one that covers electronics and suspensions ?

M
No, I meant you have to check different plans between providers and see their term (even if they are similar but there may be some differences in the fine print). Tesla already covered the battery&motor for 8 years, but other components can be expensive to repair once the factory warranty expired. I use Tesla only because I am not aware of other providers when I bought it years back.

Last edited:
Ok Thank you. There are a bunch of extended warranties for the Tesla Model S. Trouble is all I want is pricing. I am not going to give up my contact info again when searching for an extended warranty. I still am getting blasted with calls, emails and texts from when we shopped for my wife's extended warranty. And that was 18 months ago... Pure Agony !!

M

Ok Thank you. There are a bunch of extended warranties for the Tesla Model S. Trouble is all I want is pricing. I am not going to give up my contact info again when searching for an extended warranty. I still am getting blasted with calls, emails and texts from when we shopped for my wife's extended warranty. And that was 18 months ago... Pure Agony !!

M
You’ll get blasted with extended warranty calls even if you don’t shop around.

• Funny
Reactions: redmunds
I am thinking I would get a burner phone & gmail address just for the search !!

M
Not such a bad idea in case you contact a company like CarShield that runs those expensive ads on TV. They will never leave you alone. Even after telling them to remove me from their list as I already got a competitive warranty, they kept calling until I had to report them. Even still, I get mailings from them every couple of months. They must be desperate for customers. They might be a good company for all I know, but they sure are a pest.

Silicon Desert - Thank You. I have talked to X-care via this forum. The person I communicated with was nice, very responsive and seemed very knowledgable. So far best option but I really don't have any other benchmarks. If you care to elaborate what did you like about X-Care? I would love to see a checklist of what they cover .VS. Tesla.

TiDickerson - I have heard 2nd hand that it is hard to extend a Tesla with already an extended warranty. I do not know that for sure...

Happy New Year !!

M

One thing about Tesla's service with an extended warranty is the app will always give you an estimated amount to fix a problem, it seems the system is not automatically figuring out the item is covered by the extended warranty, and sometimes you have to argue with them or until after they fixed the problem before they admit it is covered under warranty.

Silicon Desert - Thank You. I have talked to X-care via this forum. The person I communicated with was nice, very responsive and seemed very knowledgable. So far best option but I really don't have any other benchmarks. If you care to elaborate what did you like about X-Care? I would love to see a checklist of what they cover .VS. Tesla.
XCare claims it mirrors what Tesla covers. Partial list on its website:

Media Control Unit (MCU)
Onboard Computer System
Suspension (Including Air)
Internal Charger
HVAC System
Autonomous Driving Sensors
Doors Handles/ Falcon Wing Doors
Sunroof
Touchscreens
Actuators
Battery Thermal Management

TiDickerson - I have heard 2nd hand that it is hard to extend a Tesla with already an extended warranty. I do not know that for sure...

Tesla's website is clear that:

"You cannot downgrade or upgrade your Extended Service Agreement once you have purchased."