Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk extended warranty for Tesla 2020 MSP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been thinking out loud ... was considering getting the longest year extended warranty (Insurance or whatever) plan. Presented below is what is NOT cover that I found on the internet.

May need a lawyer for service. Normal stuff like tire, brakes, wiper blades. If the vehicle is in any collusion. Any modifications (ours is stock). You have to contact the insurer first before service, battery cables, Headlights, TPS, Speakers, door seals, Electric Diagnostic equipment fees, squeaks & rattles, alignments..............more

Now I know why I have personally always got a new car before the warranty runs out. Trouble is I like the vehicle and dislike the yoke.

My brain hurts

Happy new year

M

A. For any repair or replacement made without prior authorization from Administrator to Repair Facility.
B. For maintenance services and parts described in Your Vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts which include, but are not limited to: alignments, coolants, EV battery/battery pack/drivetrain, battery cable, fuses, interior LED lighting, hoses, clamps, belts, shock absorbers, mobile connector, wall connector, any future connectors, and any related charging adapters, tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, tire pressure sensors, valve stems, light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, safety restraint systems (including air bags), brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, speakers, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/body seals,
door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). Any options/ equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.
C. For any damage and/or Breakdown resulting from damage caused to a Covered Part by impact or any other external force known or unknown, collision, bent or twisted parts, rust or corrosion, salt, environmental damage, contamination, oxidation, lack of proper quality or quantity of fluids or lubricants, damage caused when the operating temperature exceeds the manufacturer’s maximum recommended tolerances (as indicated by gauges, warning lights, or audible warning sounds, warped, discolored or melted parts). Any Breakdown resulting
from acts of nature including but not limited to lightning, earthquake, windstorm, volcanic eruption, and freezing.
D. For any loss caused by faulty or negligent auto repair work, improper servicing, or installation of defective parts. Any repair that has been misdiagnosed by the Repair Facility, any failure that cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be inaccurate. Any repair, alteration or modification of the vehicle that was made inappropriately, or the installation or use of fluids, parts or accessories made by a person or facility not authorized or certified to do so.
E. For any Breakdown caused by Your failure to follow the instructions in Section VII.A. YOUR MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS, any Breakdown where maintenance records pertaining to a Breakdown have been requested by Us but cannot be produced or verified, or Breakdown as a result of lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for Your Vehicle.
F. For new Vehicles that do not have the full manufacturer’s warranty in place or acknowledged by the Manufacturer. Breakdown or failure costs that should be covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, recall, or any other dealer customer assistance program. Breakdown or failure costs that should be covered by the warranty of parts or workmanship on a previously repaired or replaced component, regardless of the manufacturer’s or repairer’s ability to pay for such repairs or when the responsibility for the repair is covered by an insurance.
G. For any pre-existing condition, for any Breakdown occurring prior to the Contract Period or during the Waiting Period or reported after the Expiration Date or Mileage, or if the information provided by You, or the repair facility cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptively inaccurate.
H. For any Breakdown caused by failure to maintain proper levels of lubrication, lubricant blockage, coolant blockage, or lack of lubrication. Repairs to seized or damaged parts due to operation without sufficient oil or coolant.
I. For loss of time, expense, storage charges, loss of use of Vehicle, loss of profits, income or other consequential damages, including, but not limited to loss or damage or injury to persons or property resulting from Breakdown of any of the covered parts.
J. For accidental loss or damage caused by physical damage, collision or upset, road hazard, falling objects, fire, theft, larceny, hail, explosion, lightning, earthquake, windstorm, water, flood, malicious mischief, vandalism, riot, civil unrest, negligence, abuse or misuse, overloading the vehicle, use of the vehicle as a stationary power source, or lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for Your Vehicle.
K. For any Breakdown caused by rust, residue, electrolysis or corrosion. For any Breakdown caused by the failure of any nuts, bolts or fasteners unless internally lubricated.
L. For any Vehicle that has been issued a restricted title, including but not limited to: salvage/refundable, salvage theft, assembled, dismantled, scrap, fire, flood, physical damage, saltwater, frame change, motor change, body exchange, junk or parts only, or if said vehicle is a grey market vehicle or declared a “lemon”. Any loss if the odometer has failed, been broken, disconnected or altered, or if for any reason the Vehicle’s actual accumulated mileage cannot be determined.
M. For a Breakdown of a covered component/part caused by Your refusal to perform reasonable repairs recommended by the dealer, Repair Facility, or Administrator. Any damage caused by failure to protect Your Vehicle from further damage when a Breakdown has occurred or failure to have Your Vehicle towed to the service facility when continued operation may result in further damage. Continued operation includes but is not limited to Your failure to observe warning lights, gauges, or any other signs of overheating or component failure, such as fluid
leakage, slipping, knocking, or smoking, and not protecting Your Vehicle by continuing to drive creating damage beyond the initial failure. Lack of mechanical knowledge is not an excuse for continued operation.
N. For any part or repair that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires to be repaired, replaced, adjusted or updated (including updating software or programming), in conjunction with a covered repair when a Breakdown of that part has not occurred. This includes modifications, replacement, or alteration of original systems necessitated by the replacement of an obsolete, superseded, redesigned, or unavailable part.
O. For Commercial Use Vehicles unless the appropriate Commercial Use Option is selected in the Declarations Section, and the appropriate surcharge has been paid, in which case only Vehicles that are being used for purposes that fall within this Contract’s definition of Commercial Use will be covered.
P. If any alterations have been made to Your Vehicle or You are using or have used Your Vehicle in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to the failureof any custom or add-on part, trailer hitches, all frame or suspension modifications, lift kits and/or undersized or oversized tires. No coverage is available for suspension reductions or undersized wheels or tires. Also not covered are any performance modifications. Any modification that voids the original manufacturer warranty will also void the Coverage provided
under this contract.
Q. For any Breakdown or failure occurring outside of the United States or Canada.
R. For any repair or replacement of any covered part if a Breakdown has not occurred or if the wear on that part has not exceeded the field tolerances allowed by the manufacturer under normal operating conditions, or for any part that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires that it be replaced, repaired, or updated, and is not a Breakdown is your responsibility and expense. Damage to a covered part due to the failure of a non-covered part is also excluded.

Been thinking out loud ... was considering getting the longest year extended warranty (Insurance or whatever) plan. Presented below is what is NOT cover that I found on the internet.

May need a lawyer for service. Normal stuff like tire, brakes, wiper blades. If the vehicle is in any collusion. Any modifications (ours is stock). You have to contact the insurer first before service, battery cables, Headlights, TPS, Speakers, door seals, Electric Diagnostic equipment fees, squeaks & rattles, alignments..............more

Now I know why I have personally always got a new car before the warranty runs out. Trouble is I like the vehicle and dislike the yoke.

My brain hurts

Happy new year

M

A. For any repair or replacement made without prior authorization from Administrator to Repair Facility.
B. For maintenance services and parts described in Your Vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts which include, but are not limited to: alignments, coolants, EV battery/battery pack/drivetrain, battery cable, fuses, interior LED lighting, hoses, clamps, belts, shock absorbers, mobile connector, wall connector, any future connectors, and any related charging adapters, tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, tire pressure sensors, valve stems, light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, safety restraint systems (including air bags), brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, speakers, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/body seals,
door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). Any options/ equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.
C. For any damage and/or Breakdown resulting from damage caused to a Covered Part by impact or any other external force known or unknown, collision, bent or twisted parts, rust or corrosion, salt, environmental damage, contamination, oxidation, lack of proper quality or quantity of fluids or lubricants, damage caused when the operating temperature exceeds the manufacturer’s maximum recommended tolerances (as indicated by gauges, warning lights, or audible warning sounds, warped, discolored or melted parts). Any Breakdown resulting
from acts of nature including but not limited to lightning, earthquake, windstorm, volcanic eruption, and freezing.
D. For any loss caused by faulty or negligent auto repair work, improper servicing, or installation of defective parts. Any repair that has been misdiagnosed by the Repair Facility, any failure that cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be inaccurate. Any repair, alteration or modification of the vehicle that was made inappropriately, or the installation or use of fluids, parts or accessories made by a person or facility not authorized or certified to do so.
E. For any Breakdown caused by Your failure to follow the instructions in Section VII.A. YOUR MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS, any Breakdown where maintenance records pertaining to a Breakdown have been requested by Us but cannot be produced or verified, or Breakdown as a result of lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for Your Vehicle.
F. For new Vehicles that do not have the full manufacturer’s warranty in place or acknowledged by the Manufacturer. Breakdown or failure costs that should be covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, recall, or any other dealer customer assistance program. Breakdown or failure costs that should be covered by the warranty of parts or workmanship on a previously repaired or replaced component, regardless of the manufacturer’s or repairer’s ability to pay for such repairs or when the responsibility for the repair is covered by an insurance.
G. For any pre-existing condition, for any Breakdown occurring prior to the Contract Period or during the Waiting Period or reported after the Expiration Date or Mileage, or if the information provided by You, or the repair facility cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptively inaccurate.
H. For any Breakdown caused by failure to maintain proper levels of lubrication, lubricant blockage, coolant blockage, or lack of lubrication. Repairs to seized or damaged parts due to operation without sufficient oil or coolant.
I. For loss of time, expense, storage charges, loss of use of Vehicle, loss of profits, income or other consequential damages, including, but not limited to loss or damage or injury to persons or property resulting from Breakdown of any of the covered parts.
J. For accidental loss or damage caused by physical damage, collision or upset, road hazard, falling objects, fire, theft, larceny, hail, explosion, lightning, earthquake, windstorm, water, flood, malicious mischief, vandalism, riot, civil unrest, negligence, abuse or misuse, overloading the vehicle, use of the vehicle as a stationary power source, or lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for Your Vehicle.
K. For any Breakdown caused by rust, residue, electrolysis or corrosion. For any Breakdown caused by the failure of any nuts, bolts or fasteners unless internally lubricated.
L. For any Vehicle that has been issued a restricted title, including but not limited to: salvage/refundable, salvage theft, assembled, dismantled, scrap, fire, flood, physical damage, saltwater, frame change, motor change, body exchange, junk or parts only, or if said vehicle is a grey market vehicle or declared a “lemon”. Any loss if the odometer has failed, been broken, disconnected or altered, or if for any reason the Vehicle’s actual accumulated mileage cannot be determined.
M. For a Breakdown of a covered component/part caused by Your refusal to perform reasonable repairs recommended by the dealer, Repair Facility, or Administrator. Any damage caused by failure to protect Your Vehicle from further damage when a Breakdown has occurred or failure to have Your Vehicle towed to the service facility when continued operation may result in further damage. Continued operation includes but is not limited to Your failure to observe warning lights, gauges, or any other signs of overheating or component failure, such as fluid
leakage, slipping, knocking, or smoking, and not protecting Your Vehicle by continuing to drive creating damage beyond the initial failure. Lack of mechanical knowledge is not an excuse for continued operation.
N. For any part or repair that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires to be repaired, replaced, adjusted or updated (including updating software or programming), in conjunction with a covered repair when a Breakdown of that part has not occurred. This includes modifications, replacement, or alteration of original systems necessitated by the replacement of an obsolete, superseded, redesigned, or unavailable part.
O. For Commercial Use Vehicles unless the appropriate Commercial Use Option is selected in the Declarations Section, and the appropriate surcharge has been paid, in which case only Vehicles that are being used for purposes that fall within this Contract’s definition of Commercial Use will be covered.
P. If any alterations have been made to Your Vehicle or You are using or have used Your Vehicle in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to the failureof any custom or add-on part, trailer hitches, all frame or suspension modifications, lift kits and/or undersized or oversized tires. No coverage is available for suspension reductions or undersized wheels or tires. Also not covered are any performance modifications. Any modification that voids the original manufacturer warranty will also void the Coverage provided
under this contract.
Q. For any Breakdown or failure occurring outside of the United States or Canada.
R. For any repair or replacement of any covered part if a Breakdown has not occurred or if the wear on that part has not exceeded the field tolerances allowed by the manufacturer under normal operating conditions, or for any part that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires that it be replaced, repaired, or updated, and is not a Breakdown is your responsibility and expense. Damage to a covered part due to the failure of a non-covered part is also excluded.
That's the typical policy of any vehicle extended warranty, don't forget to count the deductible though.

Well I have not found anymore info on this subject. Everyone wants my personal info just to see what plans they have available.

M
I'm in the same boat as yourself. Looking at extended warranty options, but my head spins each time. Just picked up a 2018 Model X on the3rd of January. The Carfax and dealer assumed 30 days left on the warranty. Wasn't the case after all; Carfax wasn't any help and the dealer is long out of the picture. Going to weigh my options.

Any kind of extended warranty is always a gamble, I haven't bought any vehicle extended warranty for a long time until Tesla, and the very early report on handle costing 1k per pop just scared me, it's almost 6 years now, still ok and somehow they agreed to replace the very expensive headlights. You will lucky if you come out ahead (the flip side is bad - more car troubles), it is not an investment but just avoid shocks in the future for a period of time.

Reactions: XCare EV
Well I have not found anymore info on this subject. Everyone wants my personal info just to see what plans they have available.

M
We're happy to help, and you can use our online calculator without sharing any info with us. www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare
Make sure to scroll down on the landing page for lots of great info, FAQs etc and then scroll up to enter in various miles/year for options.
Cheers, Brent @ XCare

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Looking at extended warranty options, but my head spins each time. Just picked up a 2018 Model X on the3rd of January. The Carfax and dealer assumed 30 days left on the warranty. Wasn't the case after all; Carfax wasn't any help and the dealer is long out of the picture. Going to weigh my options.
Happy to help, just go up to www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare for info. Scroll down on the landing page for info/FAQs, then scroll back up to use the calculator and see rates. Cheers! Brent @ XCare

Any kind of extended warranty is always a gamble, I haven't bought any vehicle extended warranty for a long time until Tesla, and the very early report on handle costing 1k per pop just scared me, it's almost 6 years now, still ok and somehow they agreed to replace the very expensive headlights. You will lucky if you come out ahead (the flip side is bad - more car troubles), it is not an investment but just avoid shocks in the future for a period of time.
That's a great assessment. Agreed.

Though we don't know the data, the principle is the same: The house always wins.
XCare is run on very tight margins, to provide maximum protection to OUR community. Naturally, its always nice to also be profitable to remain in business, and some folks get way more out than they put in, for sure. It is more about risk management, and avoiding the big shocks that can crater a household budget. Love to help you anytime! www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare Cheers, Brent @ XCare

That's the typical policy of any vehicle extended warranty, don't forget to count the deductible though.
Actually, on Teslas we cover the headlights and taillights, as the manufacturer builds them as one contiguous unit that cannot be serviced. We do not cover them on other OEMs, as they are designed to be serviced. Thanks for the opportunity to help, check us out at www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare

Reactions: cbdream99
I know this isn't the point of your thread, but Tesla is now retrofitting existing refresh cars with a real wheel for $700, or you can order a new car with the option. That doesn't solve the lack of stalks, but aftermarket S3XY buttons can replace turn signal functions with their buttons, and forward/reverse is on their list of features to implement.

I asked my Tesla Service Center about extended warranties and they said they only except Tesla extended warranties. So wondering how exactly does that work with outside warrantees? Do you pay entire bill and then file with the outside warranty or do you have to get an estimate and then submit pre-approval paperwork to see if it is covered. Somewhat confusing because on my wife's GMC she has the dealer estimate to repair and they collect the deductible from an outside warranty.

M

Reactions: XCare EV
I asked my Tesla Service Center about extended warranties and they said they only except Tesla extended warranties. So wondering how exactly does that work with outside warrantees? Do you pay entire bill and then file with the outside warranty or do you have to get an estimate and then submit pre-approval paperwork to see if it is covered. Somewhat confusing because on my wife's GMC she has the dealer estimate to repair and they collect the deductible from an outside warranty.

M
Technically that's true, but we don't act like a warranty with Tesla. You do all of the interaction as usual, simply sending us the estimate and final invoice, and we pay for the covered repairs minus your deductible at vehicle pick up. We pay full rack rate for service, we do not require photos/inspector access and we are pretty transparent to the process. Because we don't hassle them, we are more of a payment service and nobody says no to money :)

Reactions: cbdream99