Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but at what point in the process are you all arranging financing? Once you've configured or once you've received a VIN number? I will likely be placing my order in the next month or so and don't want to have my credit checked too early.

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but at what point in the process are you all arranging financing? Once you've configured or once you've received a VIN number? I will likely be placing my order in the next month or so and don't want to have my credit checked too early.

Wait until you have your VIN. Tesla will reach out and give you an estimated "pro forma" contract. Take that to your lender to get your approval, then when you are closer to delivery Tesla gives you the final contract and you coordinate the final transfer of funds or paper check.

My sister works part-time at a university in southern california. Do you know if that would qualify me, or does it have to be full-time?

That's plenty I got approved as well 60 mos=2.19%, 84mos=3.29%.

Walk in to the branch they ask what school district you work for, say usc, done. They may make small talk about being a teacher... Just roll with it.

They will ask for most recent pay stub for verification of employment, but beyond that, nothing else

Reactions: erthquake
Shopped around for my Model 3 and found Financial Partners CU in Downey CA had the best rates albeit promotional...
1.99% for 60 months and possibly up to 72 months on case by case basis. I applied online and got approval in less than 3 hours. They require at least 15% down.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Oregon residents, I use this credit union. Best rates for good credit and they do 84 months.

Point West Credit Union | Portland, OR
I looked into this since I have a brother in the area. The woman on the phone was not interested in helping me. Strongly recommended I find a credit union closer to home rather than take up her time. She also said the (advertised as of 4/9) rates of 2.49% were long gone due to the prime rate increase back at the beginning of the month. Also said they would need to have eyes on the vehicle and really only loan through dealerships. I hope you had better luck!

I checked out a couple more. Xceed shows 1.74% on their website, but I presume that's for very short loans. They offered me 2.49% for 60 months. 36 months was 2% I think. Easy hoops to jump through to join though.

FPCU has been mentioned already, I think. Gotta join AARP ($16) if you don't live nearby, but that's not a big deal. They said the promo 1.99% is still available if you meet the criteria and use automatic payment through them. The guy also said I needed 15% down, despite the requirement being LTV < 95%. Approval is good for 60 days and they recommended I go ahead and apply now. This seems to be the one to beat so I'll report back how it goes.

I did FPCU also. The 1.99 rate for 60 months works. I am using the money I get from my old car to be the down payment plus a little extra from savings. I joined AARP before I applied. I believe I also had to open a savings account for $100 in order to become a member and get the loan.