Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw some pretty good rates for a credit union in so. Cal, Unify FCU. The rates are lower than I've seen most places. I don't know the exact requirements to join. However, even going from 3 or 4 years to a 5 year is only .25% more, which is pretty minimal for one additional year. But as others have mentioned, when you can get loans at such low interest rates, investing that amount in any basic index fund will more than make up for the small interest charges you will pay. Just my two cents.

Sorry, I pasted an image of the rates table but it didn't come through. Will try again, hopefully it works.

2 yrs. .74%
3 yrs. 1.74%
4 yrs. 1.74%
5 yrs. 1.99%
6 yrs. 2.24%

Unify Rates.png

Saw some pretty good rates for a credit union in so. Cal, Unify FCU. The rates are lower than I've seen most places. I don't know the exact requirements to join. However, even going from 3 or 4 years to a 5 year is only .25% more, which is pretty minimal for one additional year. But as others have mentioned, when you can get loans at such low interest rates, investing that amount in any basic index fund will more than make up for the small interest charges you will pay. Just my two cents.

Sure, rates are low -- but its also a depreciating asset. and with 10 years of stock market gains in a cyclical market, I'd bet on 2-4 bad years before that loan is paid. Everyone choses their gamble..I'm not betting on this president =p

There is absolutely a reason to take it. That money is an incredibly cheap loan. You have 72 months to use whatever money you would have paid cash (or 3 yrs if you were going to do a 36mo) to invest and grow.

For folks in the Seattle area, Seattle Credit Union has some pretty solid rates:

36 months 1.49%
48 months 1.99%
60 months 2.49%
72 months 2.99%
84 months 3.49%

And there's this little footnote:
The "as low as" rate is reflected as follows: Subtract 0.25% for hybrid/electric vehicles. Add 0.25% for loan-to-value > 80%. Add 1.25% for model years 2007 and older. Add 1.25% for vehicles with more than 125,000 miles.

Which I read as bringing the rates down .25%. The loan rep I spoke with didn't sound very convincing, though she did confirm that detail.

Absolutely I am. I'm lucky in that I have zero debt right now. I don't need a seven year loan, but my $TSLA stock will grow way faster than my 2% loan rate over seven years.

Uhhh...yeah....uhhh no.....only problem with that is you have absolutely no idea whether or not your stock will grow faster than your 2% loan rate. Wishful thinking perhaps but the certainty of your statement does not bode well for your understanding of equity investing (I don't care how much you've made with TSLA to date, you can't predict the future.)!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Uhhh...yeah....uhhh no.....only problem with that is you have absolutely no idea whether or not your stock will grow faster than your 2% loan rate. Wishful thinking perhaps but the certainty of your statement does not bode well for your understanding of equity investing (I don't care how much you've made with TSLA to date, you can't predict the future.)!!

I wouldn't be buying a Model 3 if I didn't think Tesla's ability to execute and take advantage of their huge technological lead was very likely. While I can't predict the future with absolute certainty (sure there's risk), $TSLA is one of the better bets this century has offered us so far.