Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla first sent me Chase offer. I told them I have seen lower rates elsewhere. So then they sent me US bank offer. In the mean time, I called TechCU and they told me I should get qualified for 2.49 APR. So, I asked Tesla to contact TechCU. TechCU came back with 2.49 for but wanted me to put $5k down. I told Tesla to talk to TechCU to agree to 100% financing. Tesla called TechCU and TechCU agreed to it. All in all it took about 24 hours for all the back and forth. So, I still felt it was very quick.
This is helpful, but I am a little confused. I am not clear the difference between using Tesla and just getting your own financing. If you are just telling Tesla to contact bank xyz, isn't that kind of like getting your own financing? Is it just more convenient to have tesla call around for you? Will they do that?

I just went through all this. We already are members at Delta Comm CU. Tesla offered me 60 months with Chase at 2.9% and they said that was their best offer for credit scores above 750. DCCU offered me 1.94 for the same 60 months. This was all on Thursday so just a few days ago. Going with Delta.

This is helpful, but I am a little confused. I am not clear the difference between using Tesla and just getting your own financing. If you are just telling Tesla to contact bank xyz, isn't that kind of like getting your own financing? Is it just more convenient to have tesla call around for you? Will they do that?

When you apply for financing through Tesla, they forward your application to a few of their preferred lending partners. This list includes Chase bank, US bank, TechCU and others. I believe Chase and US bank are their top preferred lending partners so they send you loan offers from these two banks first. If you're not happy with these offers, you can request them to forward your credit application to other lending partners (such as TechCU) that they work with. That's what I did. I asked them to forward my application to TechCU when I didn't like Chase bank and US bank offers.

Why it's better to ask Tesla to forward your application to a specific lender (such as TechCU) which they partner with? It's because

(a) If you apply to TechCU (or any other lender) directly, it will be seen as a separate "hard" credit check inquiry. If you apply to 5 different lenders individually, all of them will be considered separate inquiries. It may lower your credit score temporarily. I know that major credit agencies consider multiple auto loan inquiries within 1-2 weeks as "one" inquiry but all of those inquiries will be shown on your credit report for next 2 years. I didn't want this. So, I asked Tesla to work with TechCU directly. In this case, TechCU didn't pull my credit again. Instead it used the info that Tesla got when they pulled my credit first time

and, more importantly
(b) It's always easier to let Tesla work with Bank/CU directly so you don't have to worry about coordinating between two companies, extra paperwork and other things. In my case, after I said yes to TechCU offer through Tesla, Tesla is working with TechCU directly to get my loan funded. All I have to do is show up on delivery day and be ready to sign some docs. As additional "generous favor", Tesla has agreed to pay $25 membership fee that I would have to pay to TechCU if I had apply for loan on my own -:)

Hope this info answers your questions!

Apparently Lightstream has a "rate beat" program where they will take 0.1% off any loan of which you're approved. Meaning if you get the 1.94% for 60 months from a few posts above, you just show that approval to them and they will offer you the same term for 1.84%. An extra benefit is they apparently ACH transfer the money into your bank account so you can get the title for the car on delivery day and don't have the loan on your insurance. Haven't yet personally tried this since I'm deferring for AWD/Performance, but it was mentioned by someone on the Model 3 FB group. Worth looking into.

When you apply for financing through Tesla, they forward your application to a few of their preferred lending partners. This list includes Chase bank, US bank, TechCU and others. I believe Chase and US bank are their top preferred lending partners so they send you loan offers from these two banks first. If you're not happy with these offers, you can request them to forward your credit application to other lending partners (such as TechCU) that they work with. That's what I did. I asked them to forward my application to TechCU when I didn't like Chase bank and US bank offers.

Why it's better to ask Tesla to forward your application to a specific lender (such as TechCU) which they partner with? It's because

(a) If you apply to TechCU (or any other lender) directly, it will be seen as a separate "hard" credit check inquiry. If you apply to 5 different lenders individually, all of them will be considered separate inquiries. It may lower your credit score temporarily. I know that major credit agencies consider multiple auto loan inquiries within 1-2 weeks as "one" inquiry but all of those inquiries will be shown on your credit report for next 2 years. I didn't want this. So, I asked Tesla to work with TechCU directly. In this case, TechCU didn't pull my credit again. Instead it used the info that Tesla got when they pulled my credit first time

and, more importantly
(b) It's always easier to let Tesla work with Bank/CU directly so you don't have to worry about coordinating between two companies, extra paperwork and other things. In my case, after I said yes to TechCU offer through Tesla, Tesla is working with TechCU directly to get my loan funded. All I have to do is show up on delivery day and be ready to sign some docs. As additional "generous favor", Tesla has agreed to pay $25 membership fee that I would have to pay to TechCU if I had apply for loan on my own -:)

Hope this info answers your questions!

Great info!!

At what point or timeframe in the process do you "apply" with Tesla? I configured last week and still waiting for VIN assignment. Does someone reach out to you to apply with Tesla when its time or did you do it through another avenue?

Thanks again

Great info!!

At what point or timeframe in the process do you "apply" with Tesla? I configured last week and still waiting for VIN assignment. Does someone reach out to you to apply with Tesla when its time or did you do it through another avenue?

Thanks again

Once you are assigned a VIN, you will receive a call from Tesla (probably a Las Vegas number) to confirm name on title and your financing options. At this time, you can tell Tesla whether you plan to arrange financing on your own (cash or other loans) OR want to apply to Tesla Financing. If you decide to apply for Tesla financing then your account will be updated with an option to apply for a loan.

It's a simple one page form which asks for your name, SSN, phone number, address at which you want to register the car, your employment details and income, etc. Once you submit your loan application form, you should receive an email from a credit analyst at Tesla or [email protected] with a decision on your loan application. From here on, you can start negotiating on loan if you don't like the offer you received.

Hope this helps!

If you want Tesla to get a quote from TechCU for your loan, do you have to be a "member" or something, or can anyone apply with TechCU via Tesla?

There are several ways you can become eligible to be a TechCU member. You don't already have to be a member before you apply for the loan. You can become a member at the time of delivery. However you should check on TechCU website whether you are eligible to be a member. I have pasted some info from the website below.

Who Can Join TechCU?
  • Anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Cruz or San Francisco Counties
  • Employees of TechCU@Work companies – search for your employer
  • Family members of current Tech CU members
  • Members of our many affiliated organizations including: the Financial Fitness Association, the Northern California Human Resource Association (NCHRA), or the San Jose State University Alumni Association (SJSUAA)
  • Employees and employers of public or private technology-based entities with a location in California

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
There are several ways you can become eligible to be a TechCU member. You don't already have to be a member before you apply for the loan. You can become a member at the time of delivery. However you should check on TechCU website whether you are eligible to be a member. I have pasted some info from the website below.

Who Can Join TechCU?
  • Anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Cruz or San Francisco Counties
  • Employees of TechCU@Work companies – search for your employer
  • Family members of current Tech CU members
  • Members of our many affiliated organizations including: the Financial Fitness Association, the Northern California Human Resource Association (NCHRA), or the San Jose State University Alumni Association (SJSUAA)
  • Employees and employers of public or private technology-based entities with a location in California

Thanks so much for all of this. So you weren't already a member of TechCU, right? Is it enough if I just join Financial Fitness Assoc. ahead of time? What other accounts did you have to create? Checking?

Also, they have a Tesla-specific financing page.

In Florida, ready to configure, car is coming to like $57k. Debating if I want to pay the $9k and how much it would depreciate in the next year or so considering I have another reservation I will hold off on until Performance comes out, if ever. Having cold feet about a $57k base car with bigger battery and PUP. Am I better off going with a used MS? Though the M3 would be new and nobody here has one. Cold feet perhaps because I have usually always leased cars.

If I do finance it would be for the longest term possible with maybe like 5k down. Wonder if others are in my boat?