Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk Model Y cabin heat now that it's brutally cold in the upper midwest.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm days away from pulling the trigger on a LR AWD Y (for my wife). She's cold blooded and won't tolerate a cold car (she deserves better!).

How is the Y doing with cabin heat both if you do or don't pre-heat? How long for "hot" air? Is the air warm or hot?

Please let me know your outside temps and how you feel that it performs both pre-heated and dead cold.

Thanks!!

-10 in Chicago today. MY toasty as always. Not sure about your question about dead cold. I always preheat one of the best features of the car. Heat in closed garage. Leave climate running for a short store trip. Turn on before going outside from a longer trip. I never get in a cold car. This morning took less than 10 minutes from cold to 70 degrees before leaving.

Last edited:
Without preheating, my Model Y will be blowing warm air within 2 blocks, but you will have no regen (which I miss). Even with preheating, I can start off with a warm car and regen, but will lose most of my regen as I drive in these temps. However, at least I've never had an issue keeping the cabin warm!

Last edited:
Without preheating, my Model Y will be blowing warm air within 2 blocks, but you will have no regen (which I miss). Even with preheating, I can start off with a warm car and regen, but will lose most of my regen as I drive in these temps. However, at least I've never had an issue keeping the cabin warm!
yes, and sounds somewhat similar to our MX. No issues for us up here in occasional winter brutal cold. side note, the only thing I pull the trigger on is a gun :)

Reactions: KrenGrl
I departed home this am at 8 degrees, I pre-conditioned the cabin/battery for 30 minutes. When I pulled out of garage (temp was 47 degrees in the garage) I had a toasty warm cabin, and only 3 dots showing on the power meter so I great initial regen. I drove 11 miles with HVAC set to AUTO 70 degrees. Cabin stayed very comfortable, but I could tell the car was scavenging heat from the battery because by the time I got to my destination the 3 dots had grown to 5. But that’s how the car is designed.

Reactions: 2101Guy and ratsbew
-11C feels like -17C with the windchill here in Toronto. I don't pre-condition my car ever because I don't have access to charging @home, I find it drains a lot of battery.

HVAC usually turns on within 30sec. Blows warm > set temp air immediately. With my mild heat settings, I would say the car gets to set temperatures within 10 minutes? I usually run hot and wear a winter jacket when I'm in the car, so I don't set my cabin temps higher than 19C. Seat warmers are only ever set to medium. If however you turn everything on high...interior temperatures get to room temperatures in just over 5 minutes.

Only thing that sucks if you don't pre-condition is regen doesn't work very well or at all. But...battery loss from all the pre-conditioning is way more than the small gains from regen. So I don't bother...Car runs the same cold or warm.

Cheers!

Only thing that sucks if you don't pre-condition is regen doesn't work very well or at all. But...battery loss from all the pre-conditioning is way more than the small gains from regen. So I don't bother...Car runs the same cold or warm.
I don't think people realize how much brake regen you get back , especially for those of us that don't have a lot of highway miles in our commute. I get 40% of my brake regen back, well, before winter. That number has dropped down to 36% with the limited brake regen I'm getting. In a month, that means I'm getting back almost 400 kWh of energy.

Obviously you'll never get back the energy used in preconditioning unless it's a longer drive, but it's costing me 20 cents to precondition, so I'll keep doing it.

Last edited:
-11C feels like -17C with the windchill here in Toronto. I don't pre-condition my car ever because I don't have access to charging @home, I find it drains a lot of battery.

HVAC usually turns on within 30sec. Blows warm > set temp air immediately. With my mild heat settings, I would say the car gets to set temperatures within 10 minutes? I usually run hot and wear a winter jacket when I'm in the car, so I don't set my cabin temps higher than 19C. Seat warmers are only ever set to medium. If however you turn everything on high...interior temperatures get to room temperatures in just over 5 minutes.

Cheers!

I'll agree to that, however, the warmed battery pack will equal more overall efficiency during the drive, ergo, less KWH used on a warmed pack than a dead cold pack...

Reactions: pt19713
My commute is like 10-15 minutes, so for me there's no point. By the time I get to work, I'm there for at least 13 hours so it all cools down. So for me, it's a waste of energy. I've never seen any positive gains from warming it up for my commute (not that I can anyway cause my car is parked two floors underground in thick concrete and I can't reach it via mobile. :rolleyes: