Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk mud flaps, spot welded nuts and loose bolts (also why every Model Y owner needs mud flaps)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we hearing about the broken spot welds so much because people only post when it breaks? Are there thousands of people that removed the bolts without incident or are these issues happening to a majority of rear mudflap install attempts?
I just installed flaps I bought from Tesmania, and I had no problem with the rear bolts/nuts. But my Y is brand new. And I noticed what appears to be some sort of loctite material on the bolt when I removed it. Perhaps, over time, that material becomes stronger and holds the bolts tighter, causing the nut to break loose more easily?

Just wanted to check in with these.

They are built well, two rivet points and two clips. The rivets themselves are not great.

The con is it seems a bit too narrow for the rear tire (MYP). See last pic. Not sure if it’ll be enough coverage. I have ppf on the lower rockers though.

E2F1703A-A1DC-49EC-B58D-7D3F2434FB53.jpeg
3172786C-1081-4C46-BB3B-DEC9A280929A.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Rekognize
Just wanted to check in with these.

They are built well, two rivet points and two clips. The rivets themselves are not great.

The con is it seems a bit too narrow for the rear tire (MYP). See last pic. Not sure if it’ll be enough coverage. I have ppf on the lower rockers though.

View attachment 815777View attachment 815778
Way too small. Besides, rear flaps don’t protect your car, just the one behind you! Rear flaps have zero to do with the rear quarter area in FRONT of your rear tire. That’s where the front flaps come into play by not launching debris into that area.

Way too small. Besides, rear flaps don’t protect your car, just the one behind you! Rear flaps have zero to do with the rear quarter area in FRONT of your rear tire. That’s where the front flaps come into play by not launching debris into that area.
Yup those rear flaps look a wee bit small. It’s blocking some projectiles which could be launched at cars following behind. My thoughts on installing rear mud flaps, it’s nice to be kind to your neighbor, the car behind you 😉. That car behind you might be family and friends. That being said, I need to get around to installing my mud flaps on my MYP

Saw this one mentioned here previously. No experience with them though since I went with the cheap molded plastic type for SoCal weather.

Front mud flaps don’t protect the back rocker plastic at all. My MYP has 7000 miles on it and had the mud flaps from the first week of owning it new. Washed the car today and the black plastic looks horrible. I can’t believe how cheap and pitted this looks on a car that’s less than 5 months old. I hope that plastic can be replaced. Someone needs to come out with a replacement rocker that can stand up to debris. I rarely drive on stone roads. Paved roads only.

Here’s a pic. The doors and whole front of the car have ppf. I didn’t do the doors at first but added them later. There was only a few very small specks on the back doors prior to ppf. If I had to do it all over again I would have just ppfed the whole car. Now it’s all protected except the trunk and back bumpers and fenders which don’t get damage from the road.

Attachments

• C9A667D6-A61B-4BD1-A187-0F820FEB3108.jpeg
    C9A667D6-A61B-4BD1-A187-0F820FEB3108.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Informative
Reactions: gyozaman
Here’s a pic. The doors and whole front of the car have ppf. I didn’t do the doors at first but added them later. There was only a few very small specks on the back doors prior to ppf. If I had to do it all over again I would have just ppfed the whole car. Now it’s all protected except the trunk and back bumpers and fenders which don’t get damage from the road.
I have the factory front flaps and they are bent backward about 30%. Looks bad at this point.

Anyone aware of quality *flexible* mudflaps - front and rear - besides Rally Armor? Molded plastic isn't an option for harsh winters, and I'm a little reticent to pay $185 for less than 2 square feet of polyurethane.

My post in this thread (post #104) shows mine from EVmudflaps. They have been on my car for 11 months now and still are fine. Granted, this is Central California weather; no snow, mud, or salt. They've been through the bristle-brush car-wash 4 dozen times.

Yes, they are pricey but they avoid the "welded screw" problem and I've been very happy with them.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021