Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk mud flaps, spot welded nuts and loose bolts (also why every Model Y owner needs mud flaps)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to install the front Tesla flaps in the rear? Might be a dumb question, but I’ll ask anyway.
In 2020 when there were very few options for mud flaps for the Model Y there were EVMudFlaps: 4 Garde-boues Tesla Model Y

The EV Mud Flaps kind of look like how the Tesla mud flaps would look mounted at the rear. (The Tesla mud flap is shaped/molded to follow the contour of the front wheel well so the Tesla mud flap could not be fitted to the rear wheel well.)

Last edited:
I will say that the bolt came out easily and was easy to just finger to rethread.

That was easier than digging out the plastic pop up holdy (TM) things.

The biggest con was the rears don't have metal clips, and I didn't use the included screws because I didn't want to create new holes. (Strangely the screws where only for the Y and they didn't have that on the 3)

Thanks for your recommendation. I replaced my existing mudflaps with the A-Premiums. I will say removing the original mudflaps was a major pain though. Removing the push pins was not easy, unlike the OEM ones. Thankfully I had some clip removal tools to pry them out.

Another interesting difference was that the front A Premium mudflaps have a mounting hole where you need to remove and reinsert an existing bolt (just like the rears). Thankfully no issues removing / reinstalling the front bolts. Same size as the rears.

Reactions: dduffey
In 2020 when there were very few options for mud flaps for the Model Y there were EVMudFlaps: 4 Garde-boues Tesla Model Y

The EV Mud Flaps kind of look like how the Tesla mud flaps would look mounted at the rear. (The Tesla mud flap is shaped/molded to follow the contour of the front wheel well so the Tesla mud flap could not be fitted to the rear wheel well.)
how are they $125?! They cost around $20-$25 for them to be made including shipment to the customer if they offer free shipping. Why would I know? Its not like we have them produced and sell them or something ;)

Yes I looked into them, but are you aware that you have to screw those in?

Yes I looked into them, but are you aware that you have to screw those in?
Yes I am aware the EV mud flaps are installed using screws. You would also have to remove the wheels (at least the rear wheels) to install the EV mud flaps. I'm less concerned with appearance and more about whether they are fit for purpose, i.e. work at stopping most of the debris thrown up by the front wheels. I've never been concerned with what may be thrown behind my Model Y. I have washed my Model Y a few dozen times by now, always by hand. The dirt on the rear of my Model Y is evenly distributed across the width off the vehicle from the rear hatch on down and does not come from the rear wheels.

Isn't it time to move on from debating mud flaps. Winter is not that far off. Have you decided on winter tires? (The OE Goodyear Eagle all-season tires are not good for winter driving. Neither are the OE Continental ProContact tires.)

Yes I am aware the EV mud flaps are installed using screws. You would also have to remove the wheels (at least the rear wheels) to install the EV mud flaps. I'm less concerned with appearance and more about whether they are fit for purpose, i.e. work at stopping most of the debris thrown up by the front wheels. I've never been concerned with what may be thrown behind my Model Y. I have washed my Model Y a few dozen times by now, always by hand. The dirt on the rear of my Model Y is evenly distributed across the width off the vehicle from the rear hatch on down and does not come from the rear wheels.

Isn't it time to move on from debating mud flaps. Winter is not that far off. Have you decided on winter tires? (The OE Goodyear Eagle all-season tires are not good for winter driving. Neither are the OE Continental ProContact tires.)
Respectfully, whoever wants to debate mud flaps can debate them. I don’t see the issue?
Regarding the Goodyear’s I’ll drive them until it’s time to change them out and then I’ll get Michelin Cross Climate 2’s.

Reactions: jcanoe
I would say yes mainly because they do not require the rear bolt to be removed or unscrewed but if I could only just somehow figure out how to make sure the right front flap stays flush against the fender I would be in business.
Got a question looking at the tshields it looks there is a spot to connect to that bottom bolt in the rear but you mention that you didn't need to remove? How did that work?

On my 8/12/21 build Model Y, the rear nut is welded on but Tesla (verified this by pulling back the splash guard and looing at it with a flashlight). I also noticed that Tesla used some thread-locker on the bolt, as it was stiff to unscrew with a socket but still came right off. Definitely can't unscrew it by hand until it's almost all the way out.

Same with the front when installing mud flaps as well.

Respectfully, whoever wants to debate mud flaps can debate them. I don’t see the issue?
Regarding the Goodyear’s I’ll drive them until it’s time to change them out and then I’ll get Michelin Cross Climate 2’s.

I put CC2 tires on my Model 3 and regret it, but I am in Texas. I am sure the winter performance is nice but they are pretty poor in all other measures compared to the OEM tires.

The steering response feels loose and floaty. Tire noise is increased especially while turning. Much less grip while corning.

I was surprised at how much it impacted the driving experience and would try something different in the future.

I bought them based on the rave reviews there where no downsides, but I think the only possible upsides in Texas is maybe tire wear (TBD) and the once in a decade winter storm that lasts a day or two.

I put CC2 tires on my Model 3 and regret it, but I am in Texas. I am sure the winter performance is nice but they are pretty poor in all other measures compared to the OEM tires.

The steering response feels loose and floaty. Tire noise is increased especially while turning. Much less grip while corning.

I was surprised at how much it impacted the driving experience and would try something different in the future.

I bought them based on the rave reviews there where no downsides, but I think the only possible upsides in Texas is maybe tire wear (TBD) and the once in a decade winter storm that lasts a day or two.
Nope, tire wear on tires that are biased towards cold weather use when used in hot climates is normally horrible. The CC2 may be an exception to this rule, but I wouldn't expect good tire wear out of them in Texas.

Keith

The mud flaps I bought in a shop are very good. They are super easy to install and do not need to be drilling. I installed them in only ten minutes.
lALPD2eDQxy2ocTNAx_NBO8_1263_799.png_720x720q90g.jpg

I purchased the full set of Tesla Shields mats (waiting for delivery) and just installed their mud flaps. The mud flaps fit perfectly and we’re easy to install. I think they will do the job in protecting the sides of the Model Y. Thanks Tesla Shields for great and inexpensive products.

Attachments

• 05B22EB5-D55B-4482-8848-3F3FF3DC2368.jpeg
    05B22EB5-D55B-4482-8848-3F3FF3DC2368.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 171
  • BF1E9079-3737-4DD9-A41B-BEAC9F643354.jpeg
    BF1E9079-3737-4DD9-A41B-BEAC9F643354.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: tshields
I purchased the full set of Tesla Shields mats (waiting for delivery) and just installed their mud flaps. The mud flaps fit perfectly and we’re easy to install. I think they will do the job in protecting the sides of the Model Y. Thanks Tesla Shields for great and inexpensive products.
Mine do not sit flush on the front right side. Has anyone come up with a fix for this? I thought buying similar clips like what ZL1AddOns or A-Premium sells to see if that would help in any way.