Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk mud flaps, spot welded nuts and loose bolts (also why every Model Y owner needs mud flaps)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the full set of Tesla Shields mats (waiting for delivery) and just installed their mud flaps. The mud flaps fit perfectly and we’re easy to install. I think they will do the job in protecting the sides of the Model Y. Thanks Tesla Shields for great and inexpensive products.
Do these have more protection that the rpm/Amazon types? They look very similar but I thought the Tesla Shields were suppose to be much larger.

Spotted customer with our mud flaps. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 09A32D8B-1E64-4DDC-A281-AEFDBFFB4DEB.png
    09A32D8B-1E64-4DDC-A281-AEFDBFFB4DEB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 496
  • 2F2598FE-6548-469D-A733-406A86895182.png
    2F2598FE-6548-469D-A733-406A86895182.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Update 1 month after original post. Mud flaps are holding up well. Ive driven about 1000 miles so far with them. I am keeping track of efficiency and it is still the same watt/mile as it was pre mud flaps.

Ive also had a chance to drive in rain. I am definitely seeing some road water make it through past the mud flaps onto the spot on the door (hard to tell if water is behaving differently than rocks, but I would expect them to have different physics/behavior/trajectory). But I have PPF there now and that is doing an excellent job, no nicks or chips or anything like that.

I am thinking that perhaps the mud flaps are actually stopping all of the road water as I drive over it, but eventually there is so much water that it kind of glides across the flap to the edge and then flies off of it towards the back. Something that wouldnt happen with a non liquid object (rocks). Which also explains the scoop, I imagine this would be amplified greatly with most of the road water making it back there if it didnt have the scoop to go into.

Nothing in the scoops of the mud flaps (like rocks or mud), I feel like anything that gets in there falls out due to the angled nature of it.

I use a pressure washer to wash the car and after 2 washes PPF is holding up great, no issues whats so ever.

Highly recommend combo mud flaps and PPF.

Just wanted to share. Picked up a set of universal ones from Amazon. Initially installed the Model Y specific set from Amazon which is similar to OEM front. However, living in Santa Cruz mountains roads are wet and rocky. My rear doors are dirty every time I leave the house. My cheap solution at least for this fall/winter. Cost was about 20 bucks for 4. Will do fronts tomorrow and update pictures
DC120CC9-CC99-4793-86EB-E97235603556.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dduffey
MY with PPF swoosh.jpg

The paint damage above is my MY. I got some satin black PPF installed along the rockers and flared up at the rear door. This is in addition to the Tesla mud lflaps on the front and I think the Basenor ones on the rear. I am thinking of adding the Tesla PPF clear films to even protect the satin black PPF before ski season this winter when I do the winter snow tire change over (SottoZero3 on Sportline wheels). MY is great in the snow but hell on the lower rear door corners.

• Funny
Reactions: Jbiddy
View attachment 716577
The paint damage above is my MY. I got some satin black PPF installed along the rockers and flared up at the rear door. This is in addition to the Tesla mud lflaps on the front and I think the Basenor ones on the rear. I am thinking of adding the Tesla PPF clear films to even protect the satin black PPF before ski season this winter when I do the winter snow tire change over (SottoZero3 on Sportline wheels). MY is great in the snow but hell on the lower rear door corners.
Yo this doesn't look right. Just do clear instead. This makes car look no good.

How well does mud flaps + ppf work? Anyone with some mileage and these installed? Hows your pant now?

Got about 1500 miles with this setup. Its working great. In my previous post I mentioned water can make it past the mud flaps by simply overwhelming them during rain, but a quick wipe and its like new. Anything that makes it back there glances right off the PPF.

Last edited: