Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk radar!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have we figured out the radar parts in HW3?

Xpeng for example uses Fifth gen radars.

0uu2eZo.png

Do you know where the radar is physically installed? I've had a couple of times when I've needed to clean snow off the front to allow cruise control to work- it would be nice to know which part I need to clean instead of completely cleaning off the entire front of the car when it's blasting wet nasty snow!
Pre-FL dead center, there's a small indent. Facelift about ⅓ off the driver side.

Does this mean that when my AP1 pre-facelift car got a radar replacement and the invoice states Front Radar, No heater (1057551-00-B) that this is the wrong one, even though the service rep checked and stated that "no, this is correct for a Gen 1 car" ? Should I complain?

Thought this was an interesting paper/video:

Doing pure radar based localization could be a pretty efficient option(kB/km) but I assume that Tesla intends to, at some point the future, use all sensors for their maps. If not to use for vision/control, at least to improve navigation and visualization. But at least the method is likely similar to how Tesla would train their localization algorithm.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Hey guys
want to know about pin configuration about Autopilot hardware 2.5 (Continental) part number:1108647-00-E.
it has 7 pins.
Does anyone have information about that?
What does each pin do?
i attach an image of it.

photo_2019-09-14_14-11-09.jpg

Warning: Nerdy-nerdnerdynerd thread :cool:

Radar - Autopilot hardware 2.5 (Continental)
Tesla Model 3, and S/X with Autopilot hardware 2.5 (built since ~August 2017), have a Continental ARS410 radar sensor. Tesla part no. 1108647-00-D.

So I can't find any official product datasheets on "ARS410" specifically, but if you look closely at the white print on the actual radar itself (rightmost picture), you find "IC: 4135A-ARS4B". Here's the datasheet for ARS 4-B. I don't know how much this datasheet can be trusted though, because Continental's website boasts somewhat better specs on ARS410.

Anyway, the Conti radar is connected to the Autopilot ECU with two pairs of canbus wiring ("CAN- Prim", "CAN+ Prim", "CAN- Sec" and "CAN+ Sec".)

I am currently working on a Toyota that uses the same ARS410 radar. Do you know how to interpret the CAN signals from the radar?

To give you a better picture of what I'm trying to achieve, I am trying to use the radar in the car to check for obstacles in front of the car before performing a lane-change manoeuvre. So I need to be able to decipher what each part of the signal means (doppler velocity, range??).