Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets Talk Windshield Washer Fluid, eh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jimt29

2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD, MSM/Black
Aug 13, 2015
Warwick, RI
Below is the excerpt from the Model Y manual:

Topping Up Windshield Washer
Fluid
The only reservoir into which you can add
fluid is the windshield washer fluid reservoir,
which is located behind the front trunk. When
the level is low, a message displays on the
touchscreen.
To top up the washer fluid:
1. Open the hood.
2. Clean around the filler cap before opening
it to prevent dirt from entering the
reservoir.
3. Open the filler cap.
4. While avoiding spilling, fill the reservoir
until the fluid level is visible just below the
filler neck. The reservoir has a capacity of
4.5 liters.
5. Wipe up any spills immediately and wash
the affected area with water.
6. Replace the filler cap.
Note: Some national or local regulations
restrict the use of Volatile Organic
Compounds (VOCs). VOCs are commonly
used as antifreeze in washer fluid. Use a
washer fluid with limited VOC content only if it
provides adequate freeze resistance for all
climates in which you drive Model Y.
Caution: Do not add formulated washer
fluids that contain water repellent or bug
wash. These fluids can cause streaking,
smearing, and squeaking or other noises.
Warning: In temperatures below
40° F (4° C), use a washer fluid with
antifreeze. In cold weather, using a
washer fluid without antifreeze can impair
visibility through the windshield.
Warning: Windshield washer fluid can
irritate eyes and skin. Read and observe
the instructions provided by the washer
fluid manufacturer.
Fluid Reservoirs
Now if you got this far:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TESLA is asking to use only very specific washer fluid. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Are there any recommended National Brands that meet the qualifications/recommendations of TESLA?

I think it says to avoid brands like rain x that have additives. I used it in my current vehicle and it is not worth it. I’d stick with plain old washer fluid unless you live in a cold climate then use one with an antifreeze additive.

Reactions: buckets0fun
This warning is nothing new for cars. VW has had a similar warning for years (not to use additives to the windshield washer fluid reservoir) as it could cause the tank sensor to fail. Not that big of a deal in a VW as the tank was about $100 to replace if you screwed it up. Not sure how much the tank on a MY is but just use standard washer fluid (regular or antifreeze) and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the PSA, I haven't even tried the sprayer yet (6 weeks old) so haven't used any of the factory fill yet but I have been using the RainX fluid in our 2017 Volt since 2016 w/o issue and it keeps the repellant properties intact.

I'll go buy a bottle of the BLUE juice for the Tesla.

The only thing that sucks about the Blue stuff is if you have a white car like me. One use of the fluid and you have blue all over the white car. I've since switched mine out to Nigrin No Rain and works great for me. I do, however, also have all my glass polished with Ceriglass, then cleaned and treated with Aquapel. I rarely need to use the wipers or fluid anyway due to those treatments.

Check out the BMW OEM Washer Fluid. No, seriously. It has a pleasant scent and cleans well. Pricey at around $6/gallon, though. I'll likely be using it in my MY as soon as it arrives (week of the 20th per SA.)

The BMW concentrate is a better value and, as you say, works great. It’s all I’ve ever used. The Mini version is exactly the same stuff, BTW.

What I like is you can mix it to whatever level you need for antifreeze, etc.

ShopBMWUSA.com | BMW Windshield Washer Concentrate

05875D2A-735C-43CF-A808-2FC92AD8D978.jpeg

Nope, I was being totally honest. I don't know what Tesla uses, but whatever they use seems to work much better than everything else. That said, in the last year or two I've noticed a drop off to where it's basically normal compared to everything else. I wonder if Tesla is watering it down some to be cheaper? my 2019 Model 3 had crazy deep blue stuff that worked amazing and left blue marks everywhere. My late 2020 Model Y and 2022 Model Y Performance just seem to have "normal" blue stuff.

Nope, I was being totally honest. I don't know what Tesla uses, but whatever they use seems to work much better than everything else. That said, in the last year or two I've noticed a drop off to where it's basically normal compared to everything else. I wonder if Tesla is watering it down some to be cheaper? my 2019 Model 3 had crazy deep blue stuff that worked amazing and left blue marks everywhere. My late 2020 Model Y and 2022 Model Y Performance just seem to have "normal" blue stuff.
I stand corrected! I thought the "so blue" thing was hyperbole. Please accept my apologies!!

I always just use the blue stuff I can get in the big jug at the auto parts store. Always seemed to work well enough for me.

I stand corrected! I thought the "so blue" thing was hyperbole. Please accept my apologies!!

I always just use the blue stuff I can get in the big jug at the auto parts store. Always seemed to work well enough for me.
Imagine if that blue jug has the same amount of blue dye but was only half or a quarter full, that’s how deep blue the stuff in my 2019 Model 3 was! It was crazy. Super annoying on the side windows with deep blue streaks but man that stuff melted even the largest dried big guts like nothing. It also had a really noticeable chemical smell… not specifically toxic smelling, but was super noticeable.

Maybe Tesla was just using 2 or 3 times concentrated stuff for awhile? Lol

When I picked up my MYLR last Friday I got home and then thought to try the windshield wiper fluid...guess what....nothing came out....then I remembered reading people had the hose disconnect. But nope...the reservoir was just empty?? I guess Musk needs to save every penny for his Twitter purchase and wiper fluid is not included anymore....LOL

When I picked up my MYLR last Friday I got home and then thought to try the windshield wiper fluid...guess what....nothing came out....then I remembered reading people had the hose disconnect. But nope...the reservoir was just empty?? I guess Musk needs to save every penny for his Twitter purchase and wiper fluid is not included anymore....LOL
No message on the screen as you drove home?