Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk winter tires for the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know its a bit on the early side, but with the popularity of the 3 and the requirement to have winter tires here in Qc, better be safe than sorry.

So what rims and tires did you guys have and where did you get them.

Looking for 18 as 17 will not fit the 3.

Thanks

I got the 18" set from the Tesla store last winter. They were good enough for me. Though most people here swear by Nokians. If you do order from Tesla order sooner rather than later as they generally run out of stock or get delayed when we get really close to winter.
Edit: Don't know how they handle install in Quebec. But in Toronto area they have a company that comes to your place and puts on the tires. I don't remember if the first change was included in the price or not. I believe it was but could be wrong...

• Informative
Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
You’re in Quebec, you get the Nokia’s. It’s not even a question. Out here we can’t get them unless we road trip there, and if we have to replace one, it’s not happening locally.

If the Model 3 wasn't so susceptible to tire noise I would agree with Nokian snow any where you need snows.
Or if you don't mind more tire noise, I also agree.

If you do care about noise, go with Xi3, they are quieter than even the Primacy and just as efficient too.

Which Snows and Why Poll?

There is also very good argument for a "performance" snow tire like the Sotto Zero that Tesla sells.
Because unless you live in Alaska the roads are cleaned down to the pavement during 90% of your winter driving.

There is no one perfect snow tire. You have to choose you're own priorities.

Snow/Ice Traction - Nokian (Not super in Wet and Noisy)
Quiet - Xi3 (Not super in Wet)
Dry/Wet Traction - Sotto Zero or Blizzak Performance Snow (Not the best in Snow/Ice)

Is it more sensible to buy a new set of rims for my winter tires, or have the tires switched twice a year? I'm assuming the Model 3 has some sort of special rim that's more lightweight than a standard car rim.

Model 3 is no different in that regard. Most folks get another set of rims. Many folks run taller sidewalls (smaller rim size) for winter any way for more pothole buffer. I run 18” Aero with X-Ice tires and 19” OEM rims with Pirelli P7+ tires.

Lots of folks use third party rims for winter or summer or both. Some 3rd party rims are stronger and lighter than OEM. That impacts more 0-60 performance than efficiency IMHO though.

You can watch for folks dumping their new Aero rims with tires and TPMS for around $1100 these days with very little miles. Also know as “take offs”. Often some are on EBay too.

• Helpful
Reactions: ZeroEmission0
If the Model 3 wasn't so susceptible to tire noise I would agree with Nokian snow any where you need snows.
Or if you don't mind more tire noise, I also agree.

If you do care about noise, go with Xi3, they are quieter than even the Primacy and just as efficient too.

Which Snows and Why Poll?

There is also very good argument for a "performance" snow tire like the Sotto Zero that Tesla sells.
Because unless you live in Alaska the roads are cleaned down to the pavement during 90% of your winter driving.

There is no one perfect snow tire. You have to choose you're own priorities.

Snow/Ice Traction - Nokian (Not super in Wet and Noisy)
Quiet - Xi3 (Not super in Wet)
Dry/Wet Traction - Sotto Zero or Blizzak Performance Snow (Not the best in Snow/Ice)

I have a set of x-ice 3 which works great but wondering if I should try out a different sets for my wife's M3. Is it that much noisier for the Nokian?

I have Xi3's on my Model S and they are fantastic. Perfect mix of performance, noise and energy. I've owned Blizzaks on my last car and wouldn't use them if they were given to me for free. Can't go wrong with Nokian's from a performance perspective, but I can't speak to noise levels and efficiency.

I have Xi3's on my Model S and they are fantastic. Perfect mix of performance, noise and energy. I've owned Blizzaks on my last car and wouldn't use them if they were given to me for free. Can't go wrong with Nokian's from a performance perspective, but I can't speak to noise levels and efficiency.
Is it the combination of Blizzaks and the 3? I had Blizzaks on my 328 and they handled really well in winter weather.

Is it the combination of Blizzaks and the 3? I had Blizzaks on my 328 and they handled really well in winter weather.
Noise, noise, and more road noise.

I had them on my IS350 and it made me want to sell the car. My wife has them (in the winter) on her RX350 and they are so loud, they drive me nuts.

I recently bought a 3 season tire (Yokohama Avid Ascend GT) which isn't as quiet as I'd like them to be, so I might be a real stickler for road noise. In my experience, all of the Michelin's I've owned have been very quiet (in the circumstances - understanding that by their nature, winter tires will *usually* be louder than other tires).

I suggest that how "good" a winter tire is depends partly on the winter conditions that are typically encountered.

I bet there are winter tires that are great in Ontario, Quebec, or Maritimes dumps of snow that might be less than ideal in very cold but dry Prairie winters.

I bet there are winter tires that would be great for me on Vancouver Island where mostly we get lots of rain and when we get snow it is soft, mushy stuff that would not be useful other locations. Those winter tires that are great for their conditions in the Prairies, central Canada, or Maritimes probably wouldn't be optimal here.