Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk winter tires for the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$2700 is absurd for those tires. Even at $2400 it was expensive, but you get the benefit of having Tesla swap out for you and whatnot. You can find alternatives that are superior in the low $2000s.

4 Wheels
4 TPMS
4 Balanced
4 Tires
4 Aero Covers
4 Wheels mounted

$2000 USD is very reasonable
current exchange rate is $2665 CAN

Exchange rates are probably the reason for price change. USD price didn’t change.

Either that, or this is a tariff increase/change.
Tariffs might affect the US price but if done properly, should not affect the Canadian price directly. Even if it went from China to US to Canada, Tesla should be able to claim the duty drawback going into Canada.

Interesting enough, Tesla gets it wheels from both China and Mexico at the same time:

r17ffbfrh7n21.jpg

Well the price increase seals the deal. I was going to go with the Tesla set for winter and deal with the Sottozero Serie II (not my first pick for winter tire) but with the increase it likely makes sense to go with aftermarket wheels + Michelin X-Ice and TPMS. Probably cost about $2000-2200 and $70 Michelin MIR.

Can i just order tires and wheels from costco and get the Aero cap ordered from the Tesla store?
Is there something specific about installation of the tires, configuration of the TPMS sensors that is Tesla specific that would prevent me from buying from costco or costco installing them?
Will 17'' wheel work?
Can i use steel wheels?

Last edited:
Can i just order tires and wheels from costco and get the Aero cap ordered from the Tesla store?
Is there something specific about installation of the tires, configuration of the TPMS sensors that is Tesla specific that would prevent me from buying from costco or costco installing them?
Will 17'' wheel work?
Can i use steel wheels?

Steel wheels work with Tesla, but highly likely not 17" wheels.

I am currently planning to go with Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 from Costco, based on its performance & price. After reading several reviews, I heard these are better than those all season factory ones for noise. Also considering Costco's perks with tire purchases, I doubt if anyone else can beat that price for the tire. During next summer, maybe I will shop around for rims, TPMS, etc.

Does anyone knows if Costco will have issues in installing them? I live in Vancouver area.

I am currently planning to go with Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 from Costco, based on its performance & price. After reading several reviews, I heard these are better than those all season factory ones for noise. Also considering Costco's perks with tire purchases, I doubt if anyone else can beat that price for the tire. During next summer, maybe I will shop around for rims, TPMS, etc.

Does anyone knows if Costco will have issues in installing them? I live in Vancouver area.
I was just at Costco today. They won’t install the X-ice or Sottozero 2’s as the ones they carry aren’t at a high enough speed rating. Apparently Michelin is the only tire manufacturer that will allow one lower than recommended but the X-ice still isn’t high enough. I asked if there’s any way even if not recommended. They said they will not install anything (speaking about winter only) other than Pilot Alpin.