Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk winter tires for the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like Tesla has increased the price to $2,700.00 + tax
Confirmed by email from online sales. They won’t honour the $2400 even though it’s still showing on the front page of the listings. They also removed the wheel caps which is very annoying with the $300 price increase. Even though the $2000 US is roughly $2700, it seems pretty crappy for Tesla to increase the price just going into the winter.

wow, that's a bummer that Costco won't install x-ice3. I thought Sottozero II's (235/45R18 94V) are Tesla approved ones with speed rating "v"???

Some other options with speed rating "v" are

CONTIWINTERCONTACT TS850 P (KAL TIRE, 1010 TIRES)
YOKOHAMA BLUEARTH V905 (KAL TIRE, 1010 TIRES)
PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 (KAL TIRE, 1010 TIRES)
KUMHO WINTERCRAFT WP72 (1010 TIRES)
HANKOOK I-CEPT EVO2 (W320) (1010 TIRES)

TOYO OBSERVE GSI-6 HP (1010 TIRES)
BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM001 (1010 TIRES)
FALKEN HS449 (1010 TIRES)
DUNLOP WINTER SPORT 4D (1010 TIRES)

Anyone has any previous experience on any of these tires, within a reasonable price range?
I installed KUMHO WINTERCRAFT WP72 on my SUV last year - it did the trick for Vancouver weather, but the ride was a bit bumpy and noisy.

Already our Model-3 is bit bumpy ride and noisy, at times. I prefer not to exaggerate it :)

• Helpful
Reactions: .fess
wow, that's a bummer that Costco won't install x-ice3. I thought Sottozero II's (235/45R18 94V) are Tesla approved ones with speed rating "v"???

Some other options with speed rating "v" are

CONTIWINTERCONTACT TS850 P (KAL TIRE, 1010 TIRES)
YOKOHAMA BLUEARTH V905 (KAL TIRE, 1010 TIRES)
PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 (KAL TIRE, 1010 TIRES)
KUMHO WINTERCRAFT WP72 (1010 TIRES)
HANKOOK I-CEPT EVO2 (W320) (1010 TIRES)

TOYO OBSERVE GSI-6 HP (1010 TIRES)
BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM001 (1010 TIRES)
FALKEN HS449 (1010 TIRES)
DUNLOP WINTER SPORT 4D (1010 TIRES)

Anyone has any previous experience on any of these tires, within a reasonable price range?
I installed KUMHO WINTERCRAFT WP72 on my SUV last year - it did the trick for Vancouver weather, but the ride was a bit bumpy and noisy.

Already our Model-3 is bit bumpy ride and noisy, at times. I prefer not to exaggerate it :)

Back in October, I got the Winter Sottozero 3's in 245/40/R19 (98H) installed on 19" T-Sportline wheels by 1010 Tires. Ride quality is about the same as my stock 20's on PS4S's.

I was just at Costco today. They won’t install the X-ice or Sottozero 2’s as the ones they carry aren’t at a high enough speed rating. Apparently Michelin is the only tire manufacturer that will allow one lower than recommended but the X-ice still isn’t high enough. I asked if there’s any way even if not recommended. They said they will not install anything (speaking about winter only) other than Pilot Alpin.

Which Costco did you go to? It says on their website the rating is H just like most other tire companies that carry the x-ice. I’m looking at buying the winters too

Which Costco did you go to? It says on their website the rating is H just like most other tire companies that carry the x-ice. I’m looking at buying the winters too
The stock tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W. The Costco X-ice are
235/45R18/XL 98H which is two steps below in the speed rating chart. I spoke with three different techs (Willingdon and downtown -expo blvd) and they all said Costco will only go one level lower with Michelin which would be ‘V’ however they don’t carry that tire (if it’s even available at all). The other tire manufacturers make Costco match the speed rating exactly. They basically said they can’t supply me with winters based on the vehicle requirements.

The stock tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W. The Costco X-ice are
235/45R18/XL 98H which is two steps below in the speed rating chart. I spoke with three different techs (Willingdon and downtown -expo blvd) and they all said Costco will only go one level lower with Michelin which would be ‘V’ however they don’t carry that tire (if it’s even available at all). The other tire manufacturers make Costco match the speed rating exactly. They basically said they can’t supply me with winters based on the vehicle requirements.
Do you have winter rims? Just have Costco install them on the rims and then mount your rims yourself. I’ve done this in the past (pre-Tesla) just because I didn’t want to deal with Costco’s wait times. I dropped off the rims and picked them up after they were installed. I don’t think they ever asked me what type of car.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
Wintercontact TS850 on my gla250, amazing grip on soft snow and unploughed roads and cornering on ice, sidewalls don't hold up to well on a huge pothole under the lakeshore, but at least it destroyed the tire not the rim
Sottozero 3, lasted 1 season on a roadster, the rears were toast. I found they slipped way to easily and had to take traction control off to get anywhere, the result of this and not being able to reduce regen which is way more aggressive than other models was bald rear tires in March and replacing them before the winter was over. I threw on my spare rims with the old 'Tesla' approved hancook tires. They are yet to prove themselves as I am comparing them to worn out tires, initial driving showed they were 'adequate' with TC off.
I'm a creature of habit and continental has served me well in terms of grip and durability so I am biased towards them, Pirelli, although I didn't hate them, they took some time to become predictable, and they DID get me home from Cambridge to Toronto in the snowstorm that destroyed so many cars at the beginning of last season so I have to respect that. I would have been more confident if I had Continentals on the car but thats my fault, not the tires.

Last edited:
Do you have winter rims? Just have Costco install them on the rims and then mount your rims yourself. I’ve done this in the past (pre-Tesla) just because I didn’t want to deal with Costco’s wait times. I dropped off the rims and picked them up after they were installed. I don’t think they ever asked me what type of car.
Costco now has a book an appointment online system which I use.
Costco | Book Appointment

Do the lower raiting tires wear out faster compared to the specified rating?
I love xice too. Had them on the BMW and they were awwsome
My plan would be to buy tires, steelies and covers from Tesla and have them installed by my local indie. He does alignment and balancing as well. Is there any special programming needed to add the TPMS sensors?
Will steelies cause a significant range loss? Winter range would be lower anyway.

Hey everyone although I’m knew on this I started a winter tires group buy thread if anyone is interested I’m dealing with wheelsco and I shopped around and the prices are a bit better with the group buy then other places. I don’t work for the company and I don’t get a commission off it as I just want to pass it along to the group

Hey everyone although I’m knew on this I started a winter tires group buy thread if anyone is interested I’m dealing with wheelsco and I shopped around and the prices are a bit better with the group buy then other places. I don’t work for the company and I don’t get a commission off it as I just want to pass it along to the group
Although being new I don’t think anyone can see my thread on it

I have seen folks running X-Ice with their M3. Is there a version with the proper speed rating or are they just running it despite it not being OEM rated?
H Tire speed rating is 130 mph / 210 km/H. Not really care if it's not rated OEM. I would never need to speed that fast where I live. If I did and got caught the cops would impound my Tesla, remove my drivers license and make me pay VERY Large Speeding ticket. Also they are winter tires. Drag strips and race tracks are closed in winter around here unless you are ice racing which you will also never be speeding past the H rating.

Anyone had experience with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3?

Is this the best choice for a RWD Model 3 in GTA for snow & ice?

I used Nokian Hakka R3’s last year on my P3D and they handled great without noticeable range loss. I had 19” Tsportline TST wheels last year and switched the R3’s over to TSS wheels this year when I sold my TST wheels to a friend. Should get better range with lighter wheels. The R3’s are grippy, low rolling resistant, and are the best tire out there for wintery conditions without going studded.

The R3’s are a little pricey, but if they save you from one accident will pay for themselves by avoiding headaches at a bodyshop and waiting for parts. I also have a set of Nokian Hakka 9 studded tires on TST 18” wheels when it gets dicey and icy. Studded tires are loud but can’t be beat for traction...especially the Hakka 9’s.

• Helpful
Reactions: marcn and akidesir
Anyone had experience with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3?

Is this the best choice for a RWD Model 3 in GTA for snow & ice?

I had the Nokian Hakka R3's mounted on the stock aero rims through last winter on my LR RWD. Definitely felt a bit squirmy and noisier than stock Michelins, but traction was excellent. The only time it didn't feel as sure-footed was when there was more than >5 cm unplowed snow a couple times immediately following a fresh snowstorm... the traction control would keep acceleration pretty painfully slow from a standstill but I'm not sure other tires would do any better.

• Informative
Reactions: 350z