TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Letter-gate poll. Did you receive the Supercharger 'please less local charging' lette

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by NigelM, Aug 13, 2015.

?

Have you received the "less local charging" Supercharger letter?

1. Yes, and I didn't deserve it.

18 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Yes, and maybe I deserved it.

7 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Nope.

192 vote(s)
    88.5%
  1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just curious how many of these went out and whether we're getting riled up over what might (or might not) have been a small mistake.

Vote away!

2. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I think sending it to everyone makes sense. If they would have set limits - the limits would be argued. This way everyone got it - take it as public education and ignore it if it does not apply to you.

3. Panu

Panu Member

I believe the letters/emails have been sent only in USA.

4. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

I voted Yes and I didn't deserve it (I have used my local SC once - St. Charles, MO), but I have driven extensively cross country and used more than 40 different superchargers over the last two years).

Now the question - how many are going to fess up to actually "deserving it"?

5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Well, while it might make sense to send an educational letter to everyone, they didn't.

First, the wording is that the recipient has been using local charging too much, not that everyone in general has. Secondly, not everyone has received it, so there's some filter being applied to send it to prime offenders.

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It's anonymous, why wouldn't they?

7. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

I guess my question is more whether those that deserve it in my eyes think they deserve it in their own - the whole Tesla sold me "free supercharging for life" vs "supercharging for long distance travel" debate.

8. vittorio

vittorio Member

i hope they do not send in italy.
    with 5 Sp there are few alternatives.

9. thx1139

thx1139 Member

Got it and it didnt bother me

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

Didn't get it---but rarely Supercharge....

11. napabill

napabill Active Member

I can say that I have never used a "local" Supercharger. But I have used Superchargers a lot this summer for three long road trips; Tucson-Napa
    Napa-South Dakota
    Napa - Leavenworth, Washinton, State

I'm thinking that the so-called filter has nothing to do with "local" but rather frequency. The trip to South Dakota required 28 Supercharger stops over 7 days.

12. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

#12 Khatsalano, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    It's not frequency. I've used over 10 different superchargers in 8 days. I've also used the same SC on the same day, twice. I've used as many as 5 SCs in one day, and I've even used my local supercharger, just 1.0 miles from my house, more than once (albeit, for non-abusive purposes). I didn't get a letter. But, from a kWh perspective, over 80% of my miles were charged up at home.

It sounds like some folks who got it, didn't deserve it. But there are some who got the letter who clearly do. I started the day thinking this was a blunder by Tesla communications. Now, I'm leaning more towards, yup, they did a good job targeting the abusers, but some innocents were in the way. Keep in mind, the vast majority of abusers probably won't self report here.

- K

13. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Perhaps they went on percentage of total power used sourced from superchargers at any distance versus percentage of power sourced from home or non-superchargers. If this was over the past three months, my long distance road trips on supercharger power would account for about ⅔ of the all power I used, due to two road trips to California. Sounds like you may have the same scenario.

If that is the case, the filter they forgot was the distance from a person home that the charging took place.

As I mentioned in another thread, I did get a letter but don't charge at a local supercharger.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

While polls like this are not a valid random sample of Tesla owners, it is nonetheless interesting that as I post this 87% of respondents have not received the email in question, so far (I have not).
    It seems clear that the email was not sent to every owner, or even every owner in the U.S., and it clearly was sent to some owners in error since they have indicated in other threads that they either have no local SC or if they do they rarely use it m
    This leads me to consider the possibility that Tesla's owner selection criteria for who was to receive the email was flawed.

15. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Doubt it.

60% of my charging is from SpC from several road trips. I didn't get the letter. I used my "local" SpC a few times while shopping at the mall there, too.

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

So far there has been no discernible pattern for the selection criteria. The likelihood that the algorithm is flawed is quite high.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I think that's pretty obvious. Craptastic mass mailing is not an uncommon phenomenon.

18. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I got it and ignored it. It's just noise as far as I'm concerned. My commute takes me by the Fremont supercharger every day. When I bought my first Tesla (P85) I asked the salesguy about regular use of the supercharger there and he encouraged it. When traffic is bad and I am at less than 50% charge I'll pull in to the HQ supercharger, plug in, check emails, return calls, etc. I don't think that's abusing the system and I'm pretty sure that the letter is Tesla just trying to get those who eschew home charging entirely for local superchargers to knock it off. After I got the letter I walked into the HQ whilst charging and asked them about it. The sales guy who was on the floor told me to not worry about it. So I won't.

19. evp

evp Nerd

True, I've put 35,000 miles on my Model S in 10 months. But the only SuperCharged miles were while I was on the road. Neither of the Denver SCs are close enough that it makes sense to go there regularly for a charge. Nonetheless, I got Elon's letter.

20. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I received the email but I don't know if I deserved it or not. I use a local (about 5 km from my house) supercharger once or twice a week while eating at the restaurant they put it next to.

Unfortunately when I tried emailing them for clarification by hitting Return I got an immediate response saying the mailbox is unmonitored.

I then checked with my former DS (he was recently promoted to a different job with Tesla) and he replied:

+++++
    "The people on the email were determined by an algorithm, so if you got it this was simply meant as a reminder of the convenience of home charging since you use the supercharger down the way on a regular basis.

The goal here is to help in areas where people who are using their local supercharger every day prevent other owners on long drives from using this incredible tool."
    +++++

I'm going to followup to see if there's someone at Tesla I can get a straight answer from.