Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter To Elon Musk Regarding P85D Horsepower – Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would seem the most effective way to get a response from Tesla, as well as some fun media attention, would be for an owner in California to sue Tesla in small claims court. California small claims limit is $10,000 isn't it? No lawyers. Consumers usually win. Judge will be sympathetic. A ruling against Tesla at this level would not be subject to appeal. A favorable ruling here could be significant for those who are looking for a specific financial outcome.

Yes, that's real fun media attention to go after Tesla. I'd sure want to be the front man for that. Then next I'll take a job as a spokesman for tobacco companies followed by big oil. Fun, fun, fun.

And, if you don't think that lawsuit will get you banned from buying another Tesla for life, you're kidding yourself:

Tesla Model X Cancellation

There's better ways to solve disputes than commencing legal actions. I know Tesla is ignoring the letter but that should be taken as your answer. If not, and you sue, please do so fully understanding the potential consequences of such action, which likely won't be "fun media attention".

This car costs more than many houses - one could feel defrauded by this behavior.

Really? The average home price in Vancouver is
$952,809. In San Diego it's $539,900. I know you can find houses less than the price of a P85D but to say "many" houses is a bit of an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Really? The average home price in Vancouver is
$952,809. In San Diego it's $539,900. I know you can find houses less than the price of a P85D but to say "many" houses is a bit of an exaggeration.

Well, technically there are lot of cheap housing in various places. Not ones Tesla owners are likely to live in...but they exist. Fairly certain there are quite a few in that price range to be found in Detroit, for instance.

That said, I don't really understand the point of his comment.

You would have passed out pitchforks and offered to light peoples torches a few hundred years ago wouldnt you?

That's pretty uncalled for. :)

Many owners have no idea whatsoever that Tesla is doing what is being discussed in the thread I linked to. Knowing what is going on gives people the option to, if nothing else, drive differently and possibly preserve their power longer.

That's pretty uncalled for.

Many owners have no idea whatsoever that Tesla is doing what is being discussed in the thread I linked to. Knowing what is going on gives people the option to, if nothing else, drive differently and possibly preserve their power longer.
My apologies, that was meant completely in jest. I was under the impression the P85D horsepower debacle was all behind us, but now I'm reading about these performance limits and that nothing was done for North American owners, and realizing it's all just beginning again. I deleted the post as I can see upon re-read, the humor was completely lost.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
My apologies, that was meant completely in jest. I was under the impression the P85D horsepower debacle was all behind us, but now I'm reading about these performance limits and that nothing was done for North American owners, and realizing it's all just beginning again. I deleted the post as I can see upon re-read, the humor was completely lost.

When I saw alerts that you were liking my other posts I realized I may have misunderstood, and added the smiley!

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
On a more serious note, has there been any remediation talk for US owners on the P85D horsepower issue? I'm only part way into those threads.

Not that any of us know of.

As a matter of fact I suspect that when Tesla offered the original P85D owners a path to get closer to what was advertised for a "discount" of $5000 and so many took them up on it I think they thought "WIN"!

Super,
I went back to Tesla to continue the conversation following the settlement in European. My request was passed up the ladder and the response from reasonably high up was that there would be no consideration for my issue (advertise 691 and deliver it a year and a half after delivering my car).

FWIW, my solution was a full retail upgrade to the P100 with only a minor consideration on my trade. Basically, I was going to be $50K out of pocket but even that was not acceptable to Tesla.

Knowing about counter gate, I really owe that higher up at Tesla for not letting me get $50K further into this problem.

Super,
I went back to Tesla to continue the conversation following the settlement in European. My request was passed up the ladder and the response from reasonably high up was that there would be no consideration for my issue (advertise 691 and deliver it a year and a half after delivering my car).

FWIW, my solution was a full retail upgrade to the P100 with only a minor consideration on my trade. Basically, I was going to be $50K out of pocket but even that was not acceptable to Tesla.

Knowing about counter gate, I really owe that higher up at Tesla for not letting me get $50K further into this problem.
Can you explain what was not acceptable to Tesla? Are you saying you that you opted to keep the p85d or you just went with the non P? Thanks

I was going to buy the P100 at full list as it finally has the hp proffered at the D announce (when I placed my P85D order). All I asked Tesla was that I not be penalized for trading in my car prior to my usual 3 to 4 year cycle. I normally see about $1/mile in depreciation so I was asking Tesla to give me list minus Federal Tax Credit minus a buck per mile. I thought that was reasonable. They did not.

I was going to buy the P100 at full list as it finally has the hp proffered at the D announce (when I placed my P85D order). All I asked Tesla was that I not be penalized for trading in my car prior to my usual 3 to 4 year cycle. I normally see about $1/mile in depreciation so I was asking Tesla to give me list minus Federal Tax Credit minus a buck per mile. I thought that was reasonable. They did not.
Was their offer closer to the inventory equation, $1 per mile + $1000 per month since delivery? And was there no indication they could meet somewhere in between?