Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Hotel Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a 90A J1772 the hotel also becomes a useful waypoint for a longer road trip rather only an overnight destination.

At least we should be laying out the options for the hotel and let them decide if they want to invest in a high amp station.

Hotel Feedback Survey comments

Stayed at the Omni Richmond VA over the last 5 days. They hav a 70amp J1772 (Tesla model TS-70) station and 3 dedicated parking spots for guest use.

I responded to the email survey they sent me today:

I commend the Omni Richmond for having an Electric Vehicle charger. It is also a high-power charger which adds to it's value. I booked the Omni for expressly this reason. The valet staff were very helpful in getting my car parked to use it, and allowing me ease of access to plug it in, etc..

I would STRONGLY recommend considering adding at least another charger, perhaps a couple more. I was one of 4 electric vehicles at the hotel during my stay, and there was some cars unable to charge.

There is a growing community of EV owners, and among the internet forums I frequent, your hotel already has a good reputation for providing this service. As more EV's are on the road, I expect you will gain even more business if you consider additional chargers and parking spots.

Thanks for providing a valuable amenity.

A friend of mine who is doing great work as part of a group promoting EVSEs in Central Washington State was contacted by a fairly well know resort in the area. They have been getting requests and inquiries about charging from their customers and want him to help them understand their options. This is a perfect example of how bottom-up pressure works.

I just found this thread, and I'm glad to hear about the efforts underway to encourage hotel owners to offer charging. Coincidentally, this past weekend I stayed in a hotel outside of Philadelphia (Holiday Inn, Cherry Hill NJ). Due to the specifics of my trip I didn't need charging, but I emailed ahead of time and asked anyway. The manager offered a 110V outlet (better than nothing, especially overnight) for no fee. I ended up not being able to use it, but after the stay I thanked him for the offer and included the following in my note -- short and to the point:

"Thanks again for offering the power outlet for my stay. [...] For what it's worth, if you're interested in additional business from EV owners, you might consider listing your hotel on plugshare.com and/or recargo.com. I could be mistaken, but I believe listings are free. Very few hotels publicize the fact that they have the ability to charge an EV overnight, and most hotel web sites don't offer the ability to search for charging capability. As a new EV owner I can say it has become one of the criteria I'd like to search for when booking a hotel, and had my itinerary been different it could have become a requirement."

In hindsight maybe I should have added a sentence or two about the slightly more costly options of installing multiple outlets, 14-50s/J1772s, etc.

@sam46217 Have you considered writing an article for any industry or trade journals talking about why you think it makes economic sense to install EV charging equipment at your hotels? As a hotel owner, what arguments for this make the most sense to you?

If I was in in the hotel/motel business, it seems like it would be an easy decision, if I could put in a couple of L2 charging stations and perhaps a NEMA 14-50 outlet or two, and then publicize them on PlugShare, Recargo, my web site, etc. and see what happens. I think it would be a pretty quick payback.

Had an interesting conversation with the electrician wiring up our new home PV solar system. He has been an electrician over 30 years and owns his business. He seemed to have a eureka moment when he realized the potential demand for EV chargers or even just 14-50s at hotels and other businesses in our area where there is currently very little EV infrastructure.