Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's all this talk of Tesla not giving a heads up? They just did yesterday!!!! And they were nice enough to apply it retroactively to some people who ordered as much as a month ago or perhaps even more.
How much of a heads up should they give?? 2 months? 6 months? a year?

Reactions: cheshire cat
Good lord, Garner. Comparing commodities to suffrage and slavery? They the most effective way you speak up when dealing with purchased goods is with your checkbook. Yes, you can post on public message boards, but then you are subjecting yourself to any and all responses. That's what I learned in life.
I suggest that EVERYONE has the right and should speak up for whatever they want. Either Large or Small. Financial or not.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What's all this talk of Tesla not giving a heads up? They just did yesterday!!!! And they were nice enough to apply it retroactively to some people who ordered as much as a month ago or perhaps even more.
How much of a heads up should they give?? 2 months? 6 months? a year?
That's the question. How much of a heads up should they give?

The only reason I disagree with you is that Tesla gave a heads up. No. They listed a major change without a heads up. If you order a Tesla today .... The hardware will be different than it was yesterday. That to me isn't a heads up. I could be wrong though.

Absolutely. You are absolutely correct.

And I again...I sympathize with those who are upset.

Which can be misinterpreted as tacit agreement that theirs is a truly terrible situation.

Nonsense. Bereavement is terrible. A house fire is terrible.

I'm sure he worked hard to save up, buy, own and drive a terrific car.

It still is.

Last edited:
I have a 1.0 car and while I understand the frustration and the financial impact due to increased depreciation, I am totally comfortable with my situation. Here is how I think about it:

- AP 2.0 is currently HW only.
- The software has to be fine-tuned, potentially for up to 2years.
- During that period, some AP 1.0 features will not be available or available intermittently.

Personally, I would rather drive a 1.0 car for 2 years, let others debug 2.0 and enjoy 2.0 when it's fully baked, both on the HW and software side.

Yeah, sounds like AP 2.0 will actually be inferior to 1.0 till enough data is collected with the units outfitted with 2.0 equipment.

"Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

I just don't understand the attitude expressed by the OP. The AP 1.0 that I was happy with yesterday works exactly the same today. The car that was worth the $$$ I spent for it is still worth the money.

Yes, I think AP 2.0 is quite desirable. Yes, had I bought days ago I would be kicking myself (for no logical reason). But I don't think it's Tesla's responsibility to assuage my illogical, emotional reaction at longer having the newest and coolest.

Geesh...people get hit on the head with a rock and we walk up with a boulder to finish them off. Have a heart people.

It's not a matter of not having a heart. I think we all sympathize 100%. But the OP posted, asking/expecting/hoping for some action. I think we also have an obligation to be realistic so that the OP does not get their hopes up.

At the AP/D announcement... same thing. Recent buyers were upset. But Tesla couldn't do much or anything.
At the 90 / ludicrous announcement... same thing.
At the refresh announcement... same thing.
At the 100 announcement.... same thing.
Now at the AP2.0 announcement... same thing. And I doubt that there will be different result.

Tesla has been clear. These changes will happen on an ongoing basis, and the cars will continually improve. The one today won't be as good as the one in 6 months.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Wahh Wahh. We ( African americans) can't vote....lets just let it go.
Wahh Wahh We (women) can't vote...lets just let it go its been this way forever.
Wahh Wahh We (women) don't have equal pay.....Its a waste of time saying anything about it.
Wahh Wahh We will always be slaves because its been that way forever......lets not upset the apple cart.
Wahh Wahh

No way. ALWAYS speak up in a respectful way for what you want. Ignore those who tell you its a waste of time. That's what I've learned in life.

First , Not sure why you posted two replies to my same post. Second, this is a very inappropriate comparison you are making. You are comparing slavery and the oppression of women to be the same as your $100K car not having a feature you feel entitled to? REALLY???? For someone who says we should not minimize people's opinions or offend them I think you just did that and in a big way. This is coming from a southern born and bred white male BTW

That's the question. How much of a heads up should they give?

The only reason I disagree with you is that Tesla gave a heads up. No. They listed a major change without a heads up. If you order a Tesla today .... The hardware will be different than it was yesterday. That to me isn't a heads up. I could be wrong though.

So people who bought the car in Q3 wouldn't buy the car if Tesla announced it yesterday with longer heads-up? I don't understand this heads-up logic, unless people feel happier because the first AP2.0 car won't be immediately available. It doesn't change the decision for the purchase during Q3, does it? Only people who would be impacted by this is people pulling the trigger immediately after the announcement - they end up pulling the trigger earlier, and I say that is good.

If people argue that Tesla could have given the heads-up in Q3 (earlier time) then it is better, I would argue, "What about people ordered right before the heads-up?" There is no end to this unless Tesla has yearly model so that there is a timeline that people can predict the update.

Thank u for this info. Any idea what the build month is for these VINs?

I like my AP 1.0 I just don't trust it since the 8.0 roll out. but i'm hoping it will improve once the crowdsource info is put in place with 8.1
No idea but 22086 was an X in Fremont. The other Xes were 22XXX or higher and headed for Europe. If you check the delivery spreadsheet, you might be able to figure out the build dates.

I am amazed at the outpour of responses. One thing I learnt in the process is that not only am I not alone, but that some in this group perhaps learnt it already a few times - so they are either sympathizing (thanks @Garlan Garner ), or, irritated (responses like seen it too many times). I can understand both sides. Let's not forget that Tesla is just starting to sell, and many more will come to forum to share their just-experienced obsolescence (in my case, it is too strong and too fresh - in 24hrs - well said @bro1999). My car is getting the paint protection film & tint as I speak - only to emphasize that I intend to keep the car longer than many in this forum might be thinking of.

In my view, Tesla is building a different type of car - a car, that gets smart over time, and delivers more. Some features, like cup-holders for rear seats, are not in that league. AP2.0 is a generational leap, and a smartly designed car should have "pluggable" components that can keep the car relevant for years. That would be the differentiator that we need coming from bay area. This is the next-gen car, that has nothing in common with Detroit cars. These cars get OTA upgrades, these cars can get heart transplants. Why not? We shouldn't bring old-school thinking into play while talking about Teslas. It doesn't take rocket science to design a "slidable" MotherBoard that sits on a fiberoptic wired network and change the CPU (intel server blades have been doing this on the same "chassis" for the longest time) as often as one likes. Hubble and many such designs kept getting h/w upgrades (all while still in space) for ages. Isn't Musk promising us a world of difference - but it looks like the current owners (ok, now I will only speak for myself) are the deep-pocketed guinea pigs helping Tesla to get to their goal. Which may be OK - and I think Musk thanked the S & X owners to help fund 3 - so I get it, mostly. I had more thoughts in my original content how they COULD make design enhancements to keep current cars ready for future h/w enhancements.

Financial view: May be a 40-50k drop in value in 3yrs isn't a big deal for the majority of the current Tesla owners, but it is not the same for rest (who might be buying their first Telsa because they are bought into the whole idea it is a tech-car thing from silicon valley, not a detroit sheet of metal). Let's not compare a $800 iPhone once-a-year upgrade with a $90-100K car that was promised by Musk to be "smart" and "get smarter". We all know, that with the intro of the new h/w and a completely new s/w platform that runs on that h/w, there will likely be not much s/w dev going on with the MOBLEYE platform now.

I agree with the comments that this is still a great car and will give joy for years to come. But I think I have a right to vent and share my thoughts a bit, just like perhaps some of you did when you faced the same, months or yrs ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Lifeguard(ret.)
It's not a matter of not having a heart. I think we all sympathize 100%. But the OP posted, asking/expecting/hoping for some action. I think we also have an obligation to be realistic so that the OP does not get their hopes up.

At the AP/D announcement... same thing. Recent buyers were upset. But Tesla couldn't do much or anything.
At the 90 / ludicrous announcement... same thing.
At the refresh announcement... same thing.
At the 100 announcement.... same thing.
Now at the AP2.0 announcement... same thing. And I doubt that there will be different result.

Tesla has been clear. These changes will happen on an ongoing basis, and the cars will continually improve. The one today won't be as good as the one in 6 months.
I agree with everything you posted.

Everything stays the same until its changed.

First , Not sure why you posted two replies to my same post. Second, this is a very inappropriate comparison you are making. You are comparing slavery and the oppression of women to be the same as your $100K car not having a feature you feel entitled to? REALLY???? For someone who says we should not minimize people's opinions or offend them I think you just did that and in a big way. This is coming from a southern born and bred white male BTW
No.

I'm saying speaking up is fine. I thought that was clear.