Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM, Toyota, Honda...etc are doing pretty well with their annual heads up efforts.

So what you're saying is that if Tesla just decided to wait until January 1 to make this change or if they would just start calling cars with the new feature 2017 models it would be OK? For someone who made a very inappropriate comparison but who was referencing that it's admirable to question the status quo it seems to me that you are being one of the "sheeple" because you somehow find the norm of the manufacturers calling a car that might be introduced on January 2 of 2016 or October 31 of 2016 a 2017 model to be completely normal because it's the way it's always been done. "Lets not rock the boat!"

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
So people who bought the car in Q3 wouldn't buy the car if Tesla announced it yesterday with longer heads-up? I don't understand this heads-up logic, unless people feel happier because the first AP2.0 car won't be immediately available. It doesn't change the decision for the purchase during Q3, does it? Only people who would be impacted by this is people pulling the trigger immediately after the announcement - they end up pulling the trigger earlier, and I say that is good.

If people argue that Tesla could have given the heads-up in Q3 (earlier time) then it is better, I would argue, "What about people ordered right before the heads-up?" There is no end to this unless Tesla has yearly model so that there is a timeline that people can predict the update.
Yesterday wasn't a heads up. It was a notification of change. And that's fine with me.

There were many people posting yesterday that - I'm going to cancel my order since I haven't receive my car yet. Why? Because they want the new option since they found out about it.
Had Tesla provided a heads up about cars delivered after the 19 will have L5 hardware installed - a month ago....many people would have delayed their order.
Search this forum from last night. There were probably a number of folks not participating in the forum who also canceled their orders as well.

So what you're saying is that if Tesla just decided to wait until January 1 to make this change or if they would just start calling cars with the new feature 2017 models it would be OK? For someone who made a very inappropriate comparison but who was referencing that it's admirable to question the status quo it seems to me that you are being one of the "sheeple" because you somehow find the norm of the manufacturers calling a car that might be introduced on January 2 of 2016 or October 31 of 2016 a 2017 model to be completely normal because it's the way it's always been done. "Lets not rock the boat!"
Here is an option of an announcement that they could have made a month ago.

Everyone - All Tesla orders placed after October 19th will include L5 hardware.

Date - A month ago.

GM, Toyota, Honda...etc are doing pretty well with their annual heads up efforts.

Not the same thing. Toyota, Honda, et al have many different models with staggered major refresh cycles that run every 3-5 years and cosmetic updates every year. These HUGE companies have the cash reserves and other models available to bridge the Osborne gaps that take place before each major refresh.

Tesla has two very similar models and a highly tech sensitive customer base. And they desperately need a fairly smooth cash flow. If they had announced a new autopilot 6 months ago, along with the specs, demand for the current product would have collapsed. Tesla would be finished... game over. And, to be quite blunt, Tesla has been hinting very strongly for some time that it was coming. It was all over the forums... in many many threads.

What they're doing is not ideal but it's not out of lack of consideration. It's the lesser of two evils. I expect that, once they get bigger and have a broader product line, they will start moving to standard model years. They may even do that with the Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Maybe it's been said before, but anyone who even remotely follows Tesla and has spent any time on this website knows how Tesla releases new features/products. Also, AP 2.0 has been rumored to be right around the corner for a LONG time now. Anyone who ordered a car in the last 6 months had to know that there was a good chance 2.0 was coming out pretty soon, right? Am I wrong to assume that most people spend a fair amount of time researching and scheming before they drop $80k+ on a car? I know I did. I knew when I ordered my car a year ago that people expected changes in the near future. Sure enough, not long after came the face lift, LED headlights, new wheels, etc. I got none of that and I don't care at all. I knew that waiting would get more or newer stuff, but I didn't want to wait. Also, people need to understand that this is not all about "you," or me for that matter. I'm honestly astonished that people are suggesting that Tesla should emulate traditional auto makers in any way. We should all be required to read the secret master plan before buying a Tesla. I feel like I'm ranting now, so I'm going back to my crayons.

Reactions: CliffG and EinSV
Here is an option of an announcement that they could have made a month ago.

Everyone - All Tesla orders placed after October 19th will include L5 hardware.

Date - A month ago.

Sorry but that just kills all orders for a month. I assume you are not running a business that sells products that are updated periodically. The smart thing to do when you have a product that is going to be "obsolete" is to try and get rid of all of them before the product that replaces it is publicly known. Also, it's best to not announce a product that will not be available for some time because it will cause people to hold off purchasing which is something that has been referenced before ("the Osborne effect"). If you go into an Apple Store a week before they formally announce a new product and ask any employee there they will all deny any knowledge about a new product coming out. I can personally attest that I went in about two months ago for a Genius Bar appt. and said something about the iPhone 7 and the rep there told me "we do not know if there will be an iPhone 7 or any new phone coming out". It was not even solicited in the respect that I was not asking for information. I just mentioned it in passing and we all know that a new phone would be coming out in September or Octobe but they are instructed to feign ignorance. That's good business. It's also why you will see things like summer clothing go on sale while it is still warm weather outside, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
And, to be quite blunt, Tesla has been hinting very strongly for some time that it was coming. It was all over the forums... in many many threads.

Exactly! I actually placed my order 3 days before the refreshed S was announced...but delayed delivery because I was waiting for AP 2.0. The writing was on the wall...

With all of the huge discounts (and repeated calls from Tesla) last month, I was very tempted but luckily I was in the middle of a refinance and didn't want to mess with financing a car at the same time. I "missed out" on those huge discounts...but will end up getting the hardware that I was waiting for.

Look folks I understand that my points are congruent to Tesla fandom, however its what I believe. I have changed many things by speaking up and I'm going to continue.
There may be people that read this forum that will hopefully be encouraged to speak up whenever they feel the desire to.

I think that Tesla is doing a marvelous thing with EV. I am behind them 100 percent to continue to make great strides. The only reason I believe Tesla has survived as an automotive company is that Elon or someone stood against the status quo of the US auto industry. I am most confident that Automotive Industry didn't roll out the welcome mat to such a competitor as Tesla.
Elon just stated how proud he was to shut-up the Tesla Nay-Sayers who questioned his companies profits. He has obviously stood up as I am encouraging others to do so - and even more-so.

Yesterday wasn't a heads up. It was a notification of change. And that's fine with me.

There were many people posting yesterday that - I'm going to cancel my order since I haven't receive my car yet. Why? Because they want the new option since they found out about it.
Had Tesla provided a heads up about cars delivered after the 19 will have L5 hardware installed - a month ago....many people would have delayed their order.
Search this forum from last night. There were probably a number of folks not participating in the forum who also canceled their orders as well.
If it was a month, people who took delivery a day before the announcement would be pissed. The situation would be the same (I believe the P100D was the same situation).

And people buying a Tesla should have expected not to get any sort of advanced heads-up anyways, given that is how things have been done from the start. Tesla doesn't follow the annual update cycle of automakers and there is no indication they would ever adopt that.

The orders will just be delayed.
Tesla is already over a month behind on the production lines.

Uh.. okay. That won't work. There's a whole supplier/logistics chain that is scheduled to feed the factory demand. Tesla doesn't build inventory. Killing the month of backlog would be a disaster.

Tesla is managing this the best that they can and I completely understand why they do what they do. If you know how to handle this better, I'm 100% certain that they would be open to your ideas. But, barring some incredible insight, I'm sure that it's not anywhere near as simple as you imagine it to be. Lesser of two evils.

The orders will just be delayed.
Tesla is already over a month behind on the production lines.

A lot of things can happen in a month. People can decide to look at another new car that has been announced or maybe would get cold feet. There will be some model 3 owners who will cancel but the staggered information releases should work to keep most on the hook and hopefully add more new orders than they lose during that time while at the same time give them ample time to secure suppliers and get things in place to ramp up production for the surge in volume. This is why you will not see tesla waiting until a week before they start production to let reservation holders start finalizing orders on the model 3. Also, there are leadtimes for those suppliers so they need to have a constant stream of orders coming in to keep the processes running smoothly. If they wait for the surge of orders to come in a month from now under your proposal there will be a long lead time to get the necessary components in house and arranged to start building the cars. I'm afraid you just do not understand manufacturing. Especially something as complex as an automobile. No offense.

Reactions: mkspeedr
Uh.. okay. That won't work. There's a whole supplier/logistics chain that is scheduled to feed the factory demand. Tesla doesn't build inventory. Killing the month of backlog would be a disaster.

Tesla is managing this the best that they can and I completely understand why they do what they do. If you know how to handle this better, I'm 100% certain that they would be open to your ideas. But, barring some incredible insight, I'm sure that it's not anywhere near as simple as you imagine it to be. Lesser of two evils.
Look, there are tons of people that delay their ICE orders at the end of a cars year end sales so that they can get the next years version. Until Tesla - it's been working just fine.

A lot of things can happen in a month. People can decide to look at another new car that has been announced or maybe would get cold feet. There will be some model 3 owners who will cancel but the staggered information releases should work to keep most on the hook and hopefully add more new orders than they lose during that time while at the same time give them ample time to secure suppliers and get things in place to ramp up production for the surge in volume. This is why you will not see tesla waiting until a week before they start production to let reservation holders start finalizing orders on the model 3. Also, there are leadtimes for those suppliers so they need to have a constant stream of orders coming in to keep the processes running smoothly. If they wait for the surge of orders to come in a month from now under your proposal there will be a long lead time to get the necessary components in house and arranged to start building the cars. I'm afraid you just do not understand manufacturing. Especially something as complex as an automobile. No offense.
Great point. No offense taken.

Whats being described as not going to work - is exactly what ICE companies go through. Surges in volume and the like because of yearly upgrades. And it has been working for them.