Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has one camera that I know of -- the backup camera. My maps load slowly. The web browser is SAS. There's a rattle around the passenger C pillar. I have a black nose cone. No autopilot. No parking sensors. My firmware hasn't been updated in about 6 months because they had to order a new part and I haven't brought in the car yet. It's 5 years old.

But, I love it. Best car I ever owned. Looking forward to my next Tesla...in about 5 years.

I miss my P85 only in one instance: when hitting a corner now that it has started to snow. Losing that tail was so much fun. :)

The Model X does not comply on this one.

Well, I also liked the panoramic sunroof more than the blind-yer-eyes big windshield...

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I used to love what TESLA was doing in the car industry and I understood that progress comes at a price. Such a technological car is going to be obsolete much faster than other cars from other brands, because of themselves!! They're evolving every aspect of the car constantly and if you buy a car when 5 days later there's planned to be a major update, you'll feel that your car is outdated almost from first day. And that's when you already have your car; I don't even have my MODEL S (CPO) ordered november 5th and without delivery date yet (2 delays from november) and I'm starting to regret choosing TESLA. If somebody wants to read my disastrous story with TESLA not even being a owner, THIS IS IT (SO FAR).
A guy from Spain who USED to love TESLA

Well, the AP1 is still pretty awesome in my book. The AP2, and future renditions will likely be someday better than what I have.

At least Tesla, to their credit does offer free firmware updates (Upgrades), which keep the car in a better than when manufactured state.

One example is the new chill mode (Fall 2017) which when used with the AP1, is an improvement in how the autopilot works on stop and go highway traffic. That is an upgrade to the AP1 in my opinion.

Reactions: bak_phy
I get it - I took delivery on my '14 just before autopilot was announced. That being said, that car is MORE car than what I bought over 3.5 years ago. Name me one additional car company where that is true. That being said, I am leasing my 2017 S. Things are a changing.

Reactions: Akikiki
I get it - I took delivery on my '14 just before autopilot was announced. That being said, that car is MORE car than what I bought over 3.5 years ago. Name me one additional car company where that is true. That being said, I am leasing my 2017 S. Things are a changing.

Cool so you lease 3 Tesla’s over 9 years and end up with zero equity versus owning 2 outright over the same time period.

No free lunch.

Cool so you lease 3 Tesla’s over 9 years and end up with zero equity versus owning 2 outright over the same time period.

No free lunch.

I encourage you to spend YOUR money the way it makes sense for YOU. Your fuzzy math doesn't net out for me.

It's all up to individual trade offs. I think that is all MXWing was saying - "no free lunch". Everyone's math and desires are different.

I encourage you to spend YOUR money the way it makes sense for YOU. Your fuzzy math doesn't net out for me.

Not that fuzzy if you calculate the payment streams. One side has equity of 0. One side has equity > 0.

It's all up to individual trade offs. I think that is all MXWing was saying - "no free lunch". Everyone's math and desires are different.

Exactly, it's presented as a magic bullet to avoid Tesla obsolescence but it carries a high opportunity cost. Was pointing that out.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't think we will ever see another car company" like Tesla - that improves the car you already purchased. Other car companies don't think that way.

Not a big fan of the disagree button, but I’m not sure how that statement could be more different. In 5-10 years there will not be one company without OTA updates.

Tesla has also used OTA updates to make car worse (nags, throttling launches, throttling superchargering, etc.) to save their liability

Not a big fan of the disagree button, but I’m not sure how that statement could be more different. In 5-10 years there will not be one company without OTA updates.

Tesla has also used OTA updates to make car worse (nags, throttling launches, throttling superchargering, etc.) to save their liability
Here's an interesting thread from TM that argues that manufacturers can not provide OTAs directly to cars because it violates the law/franchise agreement because it cuts out the dealer interface and opportunity with the customer.
Why traditonal companies can't do OTAs | Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand

No free lunch.
There is a free lunch, just not necessarily for you ;)

Multiple scenarios are possible. For example (example ok?!):
- Buy model X outright 1 year ago (minimizes interest expenses), in 4 years warranty runs out, the car is a liability due to expensive constantly required service, which contributes to terrible depreciation and the car is worth say $10k costs you increasing amount of money for every mile you keep it.
- The car becomes a collectors item/instaclassic and there was barely any depreciation
- the depreciation is sort of normal for the class

Basically if you don't plan to keep the car long term - lease is a (somewhat pricey in case of Tesla) insurance against the car losing too much value (and Tesla no longer offers buyback guaranties).
If you do hold your cars for a long time - then you bear all the risk of the car becoming a money pit yourself and model X in its current state has way too many inherent unfixed problems still to present a significant risk in this regard.

Here's an interesting thread from TM that argues that manufacturers can not provide OTAs directly to cars because it violates the law/franchise agreement because it cuts out the dealer interface and opportunity with the customer.
Why traditonal companies can't do OTAs | Tesla
This must be why Jaguar is planning to offer OTA updates to the iPace, I guess?

• Funny
Reactions: Galve2000

- Buy model X outright 1 year ago (minimizes interest expenses), in 4 years warranty runs out, the car is a liability due to expensive constantly required service, which contributes to terrible depreciation and the car is worth say $10k costs you increasing amount of money for every mile you keep it.
- The car becomes a collectors item/instaclassic and there was barely any depreciation

Basically if you don't plan to keep the car long term - lease is a (somewhat pricey in case of Tesla) insurance against the car losing too much value (and Tesla no longer offers buyback guaranties).
If you do hold your cars for a long time - then you bear all the risk of the car becoming a money pit yourself and model X in its current state has way too many inherent unfixed problems still to present a significant risk in this regard.

We know for certain by definition that leases result in zero equity at the end. One always pays the most expensive part of a vehicle in a lease which is the depreciation.

Tesla does not also guarantee lease subsidizing which everyone else.

Going with window tint or PPF is also a sunk cost. You also have no fine control over your mileage. Use them or lose them.

For those that are risk adverse you can only extend the warranty. It increases your cost basis but those also carry equity while it is in effect.

Bottom line, the math is not fuzzy and the most rational and probable outcome is you are going to end up ahead with more equity going ownership vs leasing route. Leasing gives you warranty for all 9 years but owning two cars in 9 years covers you for 6/9 by default anyway.

The problem is that when you lease, the leasing company takes all the risk for depreciation, etc. They are not fools so they assume worst case and charge accordingly plus finance charges and their profit. You can always do better by buying outright.

I don't think we will ever see another car company" like Tesla - that improves the car you already purchased. Other car companies don't think that way.
Oh, but I disagree because Tesla is setting the standard. If other car companies want to compete, customers will expect their car software to be updated as technology improves. And with more automation in self driving, it will be necessary.

Reactions: KrenGrl