Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letting a friend borrow my Model 3. Is there a "right" way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My good friend owns a 2019 Porsche Cayman and we thought it would be fun to trade cars for a week (I have a 2019 Model 3 AWD)

I've driven a stick my whole life, so me driving the Porsche is no biggie. Just hand me the keys.

But what's the best way for him to get the most bang for the buck when he's borrowing my Model 3? Should I only give him the card key? Or would it be OK to also have him install the app so that he gets the benefit of using those features? Or do you recommend against it?

I'm sure there are things to think about like account security, him accidentally purchasing acceleration boost or FSD, etc. Looking forward to your input.

I've heard you can more easily add users to your account now, so your friend could install the app. Personally not convinced that's a super critical part of the experience, but I'm jaded because connectivity works only half the time I want it to anyways.

I believe they allow 24h for refunds on things purchased through the app if your friend "accidentally" ordered a feature.

Interesting idea to change the PW before/after. Unfortunately, no key fob for me...

Why not designate them as an additional driver in your app, then set him up with phone as key on his phone with his own tesla account but as a driver on your car?

He wouldnt be able to get roadside assistance (or buy upgrades) but would be able to unlock and drive the car, and use the app to see mileage etc.

Login to your tesla account, click manage on the car, see "Car access" then click the down arrow, then click "add driver"

Seems pretty sraight forward... especially since as the owner you can remove them at any time without repercussions.

Tesla add driver.JPG

Why not designate them as an additional driver in your app, then set him up with phone as key on his phone with his own tesla account but as a driver on your car?

He wouldnt be able to get roadside assistance (or buy upgrades) but would be able to unlock and drive the car, and use the app to see mileage etc.

Login to your tesla account, click manage on the car, see "Car access" then click the down arrow, then click "add driver"

Seems pretty sraight forward... especially since as the owner you can remove them at any time without repercussions.

View attachment 573229
Awesome! I had no idea this was even a thing!

Thanks for that.

Reactions: jjrandorin