TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Letting go of my Tesla before it arrives

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by kenysl, Aug 10, 2014.

1. kenysl

kenysl Member

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I am reluctant to sell my Tesla quota. As I will be relocating to Canada, I have ask if they can ship my order to Canada instead of Hong Kong and that didn't seem possible. So I will need to order a new one in Canada. Anyhow, please refer to this link here: http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_vid=229223402&h_vw=y

May drop me a message at [email protected] if interested. My sequence number is 37 and details can be provided upon requests.

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Can you clarify what you are selling? Your car or the reservation slot?

From our understanding, reservation slots are not transferable.

3. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

I remember reading the same, except something about without the consent of Tesla Motors or something similar.

Better check with TM first, kenysl.

If not, you might have to buy, insure and register your car and then sell it. I do believe there is a market for it, as waiting time at the moment is at least 5 months.

I was thinking the same recently - what if a reservation holder wanted to wait for the Model X, or maybe just the AWD Model S - could you sell your slot in the queue? Not that I am planning to do so, while my car is actually being produced NOW as I write this.

And welcome to the forums, kenysl, hope you will stay here in the forums even after you move to Canada.

4. ekwng

ekwng Member

Have you confirmed your order? Why not just ask for a refund from Tesla?

5. DITB

If you have a good slot in the queue, it must be worth something. At least in Hong Kong, where lots of impatient, cash heavy individuals are realising they need a Tesla Model S, ASAP.

6. ekwng

ekwng Member

Oh of course.... but as you said earlier, it is not transferable?

7. DITB

Not without Tesla Motors approval. I wonder what they would say if you want to change ownership: Get back in line in the queue, or no problem, who's the new owner? I would imagine in special cases like death of the queue holder, family issues, maybe even moving abroad, would be approved, while someone who had 20 spots and put them on eBay wouldn't be approved. That's what I would have done, if I was in charge.

If he is #37, and confirmed, his car should be built already. I am #114 and mine is about mid way into production or so. He only made one post, wonder if he would even come back and read these comments?

8. green1

green1 Active Member

Previous people have tried, and always Tesla has said no.
    The only thing you could do is keep your spot, buy the car, and then immediately re-sell it. (This may, or may not cause you issues with government incentives though, in the US it does, here in Canada there are no government incentives so it's irrelevant, I don't know the Hong Kong situation well enough to know...)

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

If the OP really intends to order one in Canada, I'd suggest the OP contact Tesla to ask them to grant the current HK reservation as a credit on a Canadian S instead.

10. kenysl

kenysl Member

Thanks much guys for your generous inputs and comments. Successfully contacted the delivery team and also sales team to further clarify. In my case, the quota is confirmed transferable. I can give them whoevers name or company for registration when it arrives. My order has been completed and waiting to be shipped.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually asked them about transferring my order and that is not a viable option. I need to order again and will do too, it will be left hand drive over right hand drive here anyway. As I am leaving in 6 months term and still needs a car, if sometime can offer me a 3-6 months lease I would also consider...lol

11. DITB

But it's not the option you are selling - your car is actually coming to HK, as is. You would probably have better chances selling it, if you could write the full specs here. It's highly possible someone would be willing to take your car off you, depending on how much you think your position is worth.

12. kenysl

kenysl Member

Thanks DITB, since the transfer matter is clear now, I will disclose the vehicle spec. My sequence number is 37 and here is the car spec:

Piano Black Décor interior
    Black Solid Paint
    19" Wheels
    Panoramic Roof
    Tan Nappa Leather Seats
    Carbon Fiber Spoiler
    Supercharger Enabled
    Tesla Red Brake Calipers
    85 kWh Performance
    Alcantara Headliner
    Tech Package
    Parking Sensors
    Premium Interior Lighting

13. DITB

Seems like a good setup. If it wasn't for my car being arriving in about a month, I might even have considered it myself. I have some friends who just ordered a few days ago, and they were told January or February delivery.

If I were you, I would consider buying the car and get it registered, even if you don't have a buyer before delivery.

In the USA, second hand prices on Model S have so far (or at least, until recently), been higher than the new car prices. For the simple reason that you don't have to wait it out, but can get instant gratification.

Normally, a used car loses the value of 10-20% or something, at the moment it is sold. In this case, where waiting time is ~5 months at the moment in Hong Kong, a properly spec'd car could - in my opinion - easily bring you a good price, even if it's already registered. Throw in a popular license plate, and you might even get a higher price. Of course, it depends how much you are expecting to gain - only the market will tell how much.

There is a specific forum here for buying and selling Tesla cars, check the main forum list (although this so far has been for the US mainly as far as I know).

With all the money and impatience in Hong Kong, I am sure you can get a good price. Maybe even consider some kind of auction, if you want to maximise your gain?

Or - you could chose to enjoy the car, for the time you are still in Hong Kong, then selling it just before you are moving to Canada. Maybe you can even still get full price, or even more PLUS you get to use it in the meantime. I would have chosen that latter solution myself, had I been in your shoes (not knowing your exact needs obviously)