Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 1, 2, and 3 charge times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J1772 includes a lot of possibilities, but I believe the most common public charger is 30A, 208V - about 6 kW. The fastest J1772 is 80A at 240V, 19.2 kW, but only upgraded Tesla cars can take advantage of that rate in the U.S. (J1772 is a fancy extension cord that passes AC power to the car and the car's built in charger converts to DC.)

CHAdeMO is capable of up to 50kW, in the real world it is often 40-45 kW unless you happen to be at one of the 24kW stations from BMW or Nissan. CHAdeMO has a big converter box in the charge station and feeds the car directly with high voltage DC, bypassing the car's built in charger.

• Informative
Reactions: democappy
J1772 includes a lot of possibilities, but I believe the most common public charger is 30A, 208V - about 6 kW. The fastest J1772 is 80A at 240V, 19.2 kW, but only upgraded Tesla cars can take advantage of that rate in the U.S. (J1772 is a fancy extension cord that passes AC power to the car and the car's built in charger converts to DC.)

CHAdeMO is capable of up to 50kW, in the real world it is often 40-45 kW unless you happen to be at one of the 24kW stations from BMW or Nissan. CHAdeMO has a big converter box in the charge station and feeds the car directly with high voltage DC, bypassing the car's built in charger.

So, I can plug into a J1772 without an adapter as opposed to CHAdeMO, correct?

So, I can plug into a J1772 without an adapter as opposed to CHAdeMO, correct?

A Tesla needs an adapter for either, but the J1772 is a dumb adapter (as in no electronics, it just changes the physical shape of the plug) that's included with every car.

The CHAdeMO adapter is a substantial piece with its own firmware and a $450 price tag, bought separately.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Most public J1772 stations such as ChargePoint or Blink networks are 30A and will give a Model S about 18 miles of rated range per hour. CHAdeMO is about 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of a Tesla supercharger, depending on your state of charge it will be about 100 miles rated range per hour. But most of them shut off after 30 minutes and you have to pay for another session.

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist