Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 1 EVSE - non-Tesla EVSE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I've got a 14-50 setup at home with my UMC and want to make use of my office's level 1 110V receptacles without unplugging my UMC and throwing it into the car on a regular basis. I would also like something smaller with just a NEMA 5-15 plug that would be less obtrusive than the UMC with the adapter. Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with using the level 1 EVSEs that come with other EVs like Volt/Fusion/golf/i3 etc. or from a third party company? I know there are other commercial adapters that are Level 1/2 compatible but much more expensive like $400+ and for that range I might as well get a hardwired solution at home or get a backup UMC from Tesla directly.

There was one thread on this in 2015 and users said Lear brand was not good. Duosida brands are available on Ebay for around $200 and these seem more compact. You would just need the J1772 adapter which I leave in the car anyway for public ChargePoint stations. There are also some Nissan branded models but I have a feeling these are old and from reading some old forum posts on Leaf EVSEs from earlier models they are not compatible with the Model S.

Thanks in advance - Ryan

I've used my LEAF EVSE (spare charger) and it worked fine with the J1772 adapter. You could just buy another J1772 adapter and leave it attached to the EVSE and keep it in the trunk or frunk for work charging. Buy the cheapest one, I don't think you'll have any issues but I also haven't looked into it.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardD