Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 Charger Home Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I was wondering if someone having a level 2 charger for their tesla cars could help me clarify something.

Do you know how is the charger connected in your house? Is there a breaker linked to the charger? Or is it straight from the grid?

How about when you have a solar panel/Battery how does that work? Are there 2 breakers linked to the charger? 1 for the grid and the other for the voltage coming from the inverter? Or does it skip the main panel altogether and receive its voltage both from the grid and the solar panel system.

Any idea?

For safety reasons you'll always have a breaker in between any load and the grid (not to mention the meter). You might charge on a shared circuit and breaker, but more usually your charger will be on a dedicate circuit with a dedicated breaker.

I don't think solar would change that, nor battery storage. When using power from your own solar and/or battery, that should feed into your panel through the main breaker — just like grid power does. The tie-in sits between your panel and your meter.

Reactions: Blackout
To follow up on mblakele's response, my electrician installed my Nema 14-50 from the main panel with a new dedicated breaker that took up 2 slots. He then ran copper wire to the outlet. I agree with mblakele's comment solar would not impact wiring approach.

If I recall correctly Tesla has approved electricians that you can contact who would be happy to go over their process in greater detail. Each one has their own perspective on install approaches but can offer you guidance related to your questions.

Reactions: Blackout