Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 charges MS without error, but M3's error out??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local gym has four level 2 chargers that used to all work without issue. Then about 6 months ago, only one of the 4 can charge a M3 at a time. If any of the other chargers are used(with or without cars on the others), a 4 red-light-blink is shown (fast forward to the 1:00 mark) - Video Link. When it goes through that charging attempt 4 times, it then stops trying to charge the car.

However, if a Model S parks in those spots, they seem to charge without issue (port is green as it charges - haven't seen an owner when I'm leaving to see charging speeds), Other 3s see the same error that I think has to do with load sharing based on what I found in the L2 charger manual. When I'm the only car there I charge at 208/48A. With two other S's today, I was at 208/26 amps, and when there is only one S I believe the amps went down to 38amps.

Is there something different with the 3s that woudl cause them to error out while the S's keep going? It seems like make a cable has loosened (but woudln't that affect the S too?) or the slave toggles were changed for some unknown reason to drive this. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts. The engineer in me wants to flip the breaker and pull the cover to see what the rotary switches are set to.

image.png

image (2).png
image (1).png

It could be a software update, something else with your car or possibly a fault at the charging stations. Since the Model S has no trouble with any of them, I am leaning toward your car. May be schedule an appointment through the app and ask Tesla to review the logs? Also, try lowering the maximum current by 5 or 10 A in your car.