Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 charging compatible with Tesla/others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a deposit for the model 3 which I will hopefully get in 2 years. I may buy a model S or another EV (looking into $99 a month Fiat 500E) until then.

Ideally I would rather install a level 2 charger with the tesla standard.

If I were to install a NEMA 1450 (which is the standard for tesla in my understanding) would this work with a different electric car?

Thanks
Xavier

Is there any drawback to doing that? E.g charging speed?

Not really. Tesla's 80A HPWC sells at a pretty good price. It's been a while since I looked but similar 70 amp J1772s have tended to be more expensive. And it's a little less convenient in that you have to mess with the adapter. They tend to get stuck in the port when you unplug.

If it were me... I'd install an appropriate charger for the car that you're buying. But I'd install the heavier wiring that could support the Tesla HPWC. And then when I got the Tesla I'd swap out the charger.

Sorry I am a bit confused. One thing I did not mention is I am in a rental so definitely trying to spend as little as possible.

If I install a J1772 my understanding is that my tesla (using the adapter) would only charge at roughly 17 miles per hour (unlike 28 miles per hour) is that correct?

the solution would be to get J1772 and ask the electrician to use 50 amps cables?

Sorry my knowledge is pretty limited on this

the solution would be to get J1772 and ask the electrician to use 50 amps cables?
Yes. No matter what you do, if you make sure you're on at least a 50A circuit, it won't cost you much to change things up in the future. The hardest/most expensive part is running that circuit. If you expect to get upgraded chargers and the HPWC, use a 100A circuit.

Termination doesn't really matter -- it's cheap to change -- 14-50, 14-30, straight into EVSE -- the cost and time is minimal.

Sorry I am a bit confused. One thing I did not mention is I am in a rental so definitely trying to spend as little as possible.

If I install a J1772 my understanding is that my tesla (using the adapter) would only charge at roughly 17 miles per hour (unlike 28 miles per hour) is that correct?

Sorry my knowledge is pretty limited on this

If you ask electrician to install NEMA 14-50r outlet, that is exactly what you should be able to get (assuming available service capacity is there in your rental). When you get your Tesla, you won't need to use that EVSE, as Tesla comes with one (UMC) capable of connecting directly to NEMA 14-50 (assumption is obviously that M3 will be equipped with similar UMC that comes with MS/X).
The main assumption is again that you have service capacity in your rental unit to carve this much to EV charging. Talk to the electrician, ask what are the options as far as installing an outlet near your parking without upgrading service.

As of today, NEMA 14-30 adapter is available (again?) in Tesla online store, so if capacity of your electrical service is an issue, perhaps 30Amp outlet is an option then with appropriately rated EVSE.

Good luck!

Reactions: Tree95